David27

Quad9 vs CleanBrowsing - Best DNS for security?

For security features, Quad9 and CleanBrowsing are certainly the best DNS servers. OpenDNS is more about parental control on its free version.

I've been using Quad9 on my router for quite some time, but recently discovered CleanBrowsing, which one do you prefer?

So is CleanBrowsing

My preference is that ALL DNS providers should be mandated that they should not play in this area. All DNS providers should do what they're there for. To provide look up information and it should not be morally controlled by anyone.  Domain Name System (DNS) is the phonebook of the Internet and should be able to find any known, published site period.

There are dozens of applications to filter and monitor access to sites for those users that want or need filtering. DNS providers should not be allowed to be a censor period.

10 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

So is CleanBrowsing

My preference is that ALL DNS providers should be mandated that they should not play in this area. All DNS providers should do what they're there for. To provide look up information and it should not be morally controlled by anyone.  Domain Name System (DNS) is the phonebook of the Internet and should be able to find any known, published site period.

There are dozens of applications to filter and monitor access to sites for those users that want or need filtering. DNS providers should not be allowed to be a censor period.

What exactly did you mean with "so is clean browsing"?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

It offers a paid service, it offers filtered service. Just like OpenDNS and others.

Yes, but what I meant is that OpenDNS free is only focused on adult content filtering, not malware. CleanBrowsing has 3 choices, one of them is malware: 

https://cleanbrowsing.org/filters

I was wondering what is better, Cloud9 or Cleanbrowsing's security filter... since I have to use some DNS anyway, those seem clearly the best options.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
removed live hyperlink

I don't know but by you continuing to post and link Cleanbrowsing that is bordering on SPAM and SEO which is coming close to have the entire topic deleted. I'm sorry to mean to sound bad there but we get a ton of people that come to the site that try to promote stuff like this which is against forum policy.

28 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

1 minute ago, AdvancedSetup said:

I don't know but by you continuing to post and link Cleanbrowsing that is bordering on SPAM and SEO which is coming close to have the entire topic deleted. I'm sorry to mean to sound bad there but we get a ton of people that come to the site that try to promote stuff like this which is against forum policy.

I'm not trying to promote anything, I just made a simples question. Malwarebytes don't provide DNS servers, so I thought it was safe to put here in the general chat.

3 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Ok, I understand your opinion...

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Again WHY would you want any DNS provider to filter your data? Sorry but that just really baffles the mind. These are private companies that now control what you can find. As their moral judgements change over time you as the consumer are now left to be at their mercy as to whether or not you can find a specific website. The issue is that you have no choice either. By using an application that is designed to filter then you and only you get that blocked not all 7 billion people on the planet.

image.png

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information

But they don't really control what I can find and don't prevent me from finding any website. The websites will always appear on google search, what changes is that people won't be able to enter it after clicking on it. If it's a website you really need and know it's safe, you can just change your DNS.

I'm sorry but if you think they can't control what you can find then you may not understand what DNS is for.

Yes, Google already has that power too but with dozens of other search engines you still have some alternative search. But even if Google lists it in their search list, if the DNS provider doesn't list it you will not find the link because it will not be able to find the server.

Posted (edited)

If you have a site that is making say $100K a month. They decide that for whatever reason they don't like what you sell or talk about. They simply remove your site from their DNS list and BANG!! now all your traffic dies and your income dies.

Google already has that power. Let's not add to the problem 

The point being that no DNS provider should be allowed to be in this type of control period. Censorship like that is far more common than you may think.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information

Never thought of it that way. Usually they have a page that shows up every time we enter a website that is blocked, it has happened to me. Because of that I didn't know they could actually disappear from the search results.

I believe this is one of the reasons the Web Protection in Malwarebytes doesn't target less malicious items like trackers and ads the way the browser extension does (since such things are more common for browser extensions to block, i.e. ad blockers like uBlock Origin and Adblock Plus) and instead targets specifically malicious sites and servers.  They are always saying how they are not the internet police, and I think this discussion expresses one of the key reasons why.

I have been with the company since the beginning and we have never wanted to censor or monitor where you go or what you do with your computer. Our only concern it to try to block or prevent access to any site that poses an actual threat to your system if we're aware of said site.

So you advise me to just use the fastest DNS with the best privacy and forget about malware blocking?

Yes, I use Malwarebytes Browser Guard with Opera's built-in adblock. But that doesn't affect other devices, all smartphones, Tvs... That's why I think DNS is so good.

Obviously I use it in my router like I said, it's free and I have to use some DNS... Without a DNS server there's no internet. 😋

The one from my isp blocks some websites and doesn't have any good features.

Yes, unfortunately you do need something.  Google and OpenDNS are typically chosen by probably most but they're private companies and not immune to censorship. Anyways.. nothing new here to really discuss so I will probably unfollow this topic now.

Thanks and good luck

I think nowadays Cloudflare is by far the most popular. Google are known for collecting your data, I don't really believe their DNS can actually be any different. OpenDNS has the same problems you consider to be on Quad9 and CleanBrowsing, they block websites and control what you see, except they're much worse at it.

On 4/8/2020 at 5:06 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

So is CleanBrowsing

A google search regarding DNS filtering effectiveness (specifically CleanBrowsing vs Quad9) brought me to this site.

Low and behold, I thought this thread was exactly what I was looking for (and only a few days old to boot!) - and then I read what you posted above... Umm no - you misunderstand what a DNS providers role is. 

Anyway - the OP kindly (and rather clearly) attempted to get his very straight forward question answered...

On 4/8/2020 at 5:33 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

Clearly, this was not the case.  Wearing a moderators hat does not mean you have to be an asshat... 

On 4/8/2020 at 5:40 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

Again WHY would you want any DNS provider to filter your data? Sorry but that just really baffles the mind. These are private companies that now control what you can find. As their moral judgements change over time you as the consumer are now left to be at their mercy as to whether or not you can find a specific website. The issue is that you have no choice either. By using an application that is designed to filter then you and only you get that blocked not all 7 billion people on the planet.

What does DNS have to do with this?  Don't want a filtered DNS provider, then don't use one. You DO have a choice - being ignorant of that choice is no excuse. Want to fight "censorship" inform people THAT they have a choice. Stop confusing censorship with a curated services desired by customers. Want to make the argument that your ISP shouldn't filter content, throttle, provide fast-lanes, or use filtered DNS? Go ahead, there are valid points to be made. But those points have to do with service delivery, not curated DNS providers offering services to customers. 

On 4/8/2020 at 6:22 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

I'm sorry but if you think they can't control what you can find then you may not understand what DNS is for.

Yes, Google already has that power too but with dozens of other search engines you still have some alternative search. But even if Google lists it in their search list, if the DNS provider doesn't list it you will not find the link because it will not be able to find the server.

In the kindest way - you really are conflating numerous things and overall have don't really appear to have a valid point... 

On 4/9/2020 at 6:56 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

If you need Ad blocking I'd advise you to use Malwarebytes Browser Guard and uBlock Origin

Please see the following topic for more information

Tips to help protect from infection

So let me get this straight... You are promoting YOUR product used to CENSOR content that somebody paid for... right after railing against companies providing means to censor content.  And shortly after reading this, will likely censor me by banning my account and/or removing my post. 

The mental and logical gymnastics at play in this short thread are -- well to use your words, mind baffling.

Posted (edited)

Well assuming you're not a Troll or Shill yourself @johndoe321 (name changed to prevent Ban for abuse of user names)

Your search query to find this topic is amazing in itself. I only find 9 searches period from Google.

image.png

No, the original author posted live links to reviews which I removed. I'm sorry you don't appear to understand how SEO, and SPAMMERS work by posting links to "their chosen subject". Why links were removed - and thus also making the post look a bit different.

I'm open to suggestion. Please provide me a name of any big DNS provider that does not filter their list. I really truly wish that wasn't so but sadly I don't think any exist. So that really does remove a lot of choice if you do want an unfiltered DNS server. There are many that claim they don't censor but all the bigger and fast DNS servers are filtering.

I'm sorry you don't understand my point about how both Google search engine and DNS providers both can and due filter what you can find or reach. Not sure how else to expound upon that.

Is that all you got out of that post for Tips to help protect from infection? Please re-read 90% of that post has nothing to do with our product or products. In fact it goes into great detail on how to use other products. If you did decide to use our Browser Guard it is free and one of the many tools designed to help users filter certain data. Though none of our products are like a Net Nanny type program that blocks adult or similar content. I just do not believe that any DNS provider should be allowed to censor. I believe all DNS providers should be mandated by some type of universal law or agreement that they can and will always produce an up to date full list of every known host name to IP. Leaving private companies in charge with money and different moral beliefs should not be allowed to make that choice for everyone, however money often is the deciding factor not utopian beliefs.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information