pup.optional.mysearchdial

Thank you for the new FRST reports.   And thank you for the detail above.

That is confirmed by the Windows System event log entry

Error: (04/07/2020 09:24:07 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient) (EventID: 20) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800f0988: 2020-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4551762).

Do tell me what you know about this new folder on this machine  C:\DkHyperbootSync

I also notice that the ESET onlinescanner was added on 2 separate scheduled tasks.  We do not want that.  The ESET tool was only intended as a one time use.

The script will remove those 2 unwanted tasks.

What follows below is a custom script to cleanup the Windows update download folder, to run the Windows System File Checker and to run DISM app of Windows 10

Please delete any FIXLIST.txt  file that I had you save before   on the Downloads folder.

Please Close and Save any open work you may have open.

Please close as many un-needed app-windows that you yourself may have open at this point.   So you can have a clear field of view.

This custom script is for      Adwhitak only / for this machine only.

Close and save any open work files before starting this procedure. 

Please Close and save any open work files before you start this next step.  It will involve a Windows Restart at the end of it.

I am sending a   custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRSTENGLISH tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE  link AS and save it directly ( as is) to the  Downloads  folder

The tool named FRSTENGLISH.exe   tool    is already on the Downloads folder

Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the Downloads folder.

RIGHT click on  FRSTENGLISH    and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.

to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.

IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen

and click button Run anyway on next screen.

on the FRST window:
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

image.png.d16b5e3004eb70a9f6273cf338a73e3d.png

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. This run here should be fairly quick.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

Let me know when all this is done.   We will do more later.

Sincerely,

Maurice

Fixlist.txt

Thank you for the fixlog.

The folder C:\DkHyperbootSync apparently is not now on the system.   the script said it could not find it.

The Windows Update download folder has been cleaned up.  That should put the machine in a better position for Windows Update.

I would suggest you consider the following actions to effect a Windows update to the latest build by doing what is termed a repair-install that uses file from Microsoft.

You may do a Windows 10 "repair install" by following a guide article at Tenforums.
The title is "How to Do a Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade"
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Study that article first.  Get familiar with it.
Read the top of the article.  & also study all of step 6

You will need a USB-thumb-flash drive.   Where you will use the Microsoft Media Creation tool.
( which will be where the Windows 10 setup media will be saved ).
You will do the download from Microsoft.

You will do  step 6: To do a repair install of Windows 10 with Media Creation Tool.

Essentially this repair is intended to be done in-place over the current Windows install.
You want to select "Upgrade this pc"
You want to "keep personal files and apps"
( all of this is shown and described in the article )

Sorry to hear this news.  However, you see that even if there is a failure to complete, Microsoft made provisions in the app to revert the Windows to where it had been before.

Would you tell me which one of the methods of the article you used ?

and

did you make a USB with the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft ?

• Press & hold the Windows-logo key & tap the R key on keyboard.     Launch Services Manager console by typing
  • services.msc
  • in the Run prompt & tap the Enter key.
  •  
  • Search for Background Intelligent Transfer Service. 
  • Double click to open Properties.
  • In the Properties pane, set the Startup type to Manual and then click on the Start button.
  •  
  • If that doesn’t help, set it to Automatic (Delayed) and then restart your computer.

NOTE:  Whatever the cause of this update fail, it is not due to a antivirus.  The antivirus on this system is Windows'  own Windows Defender.

The step above is just one thing.  It is not the solution.   We can do other steps later.

on this website https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html these are the steps i took:

- i started at step 5 to download it and i saved it on a flash drive. I do not think i did this properly. i didnt understand.

i followed all other steps exactly until step 15  because it never downloaded properly 

-

ok i see the step i completely missed- now i am having a problem of my flash drive not being big enough. i am about to go get one. how much space will i need? it says it needs to be at least 8gb but i want to make sure i dont buy one too small. i am sorry for all the confusion

The USB flash-thumb-pen drive should be at least 8 GB   ( greater if you wish)

That is allright, I mean dont berate yourself.

Just let me know,  Did you use this guide  https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create-bootable-usb-flash-drive-install-windows-10-a.html

and do Option One

when you went about to make the USB based Media Creation tool ?

Let's go slow and careful here.

Also,  let me know if you are familiar with setting the machine to boot from USB  and then booting up from there?   have you experience with that ?

no i did not. i was just in the process of doing that when i realized my drive is not large enough. 

i do not believe i have any experience with setting the machine to boot from USB. I only know how to open the folder and open files from the actual window USB folder. 

I will be picking up flash drive in about an hour. 

could the Lack of the Windows update be causing my microphone to not work? For work I am creating videos and I have checked all settings for my mic and they are all turned on but it is not picking up my voice. Just wondering if windows update could be the issue here 

Did you run the Media Creation tool to create the setup files properly on the USB-device ?   That is key point 1

Second, and real important  did you set your machine to boot up first from USB slot ?

A good guide is this Acronis article.   Look at the "Windows section"  there.

https://www.acronis.com/en-us/articles/usb-boot/

The nub of all this.  The machine needs to bootup ( startup) from the USB instead of its normal boot from the main disc drive.

Then once the machine starts, it has to be able to find the Startup file on the USB.   That depends on having done a proper Media Creation tool run.

If the program is now stuck,  just leave it there for another hour.  If it is still stuck on the same spot, then please use the Power button to power off the machine.

Then wait one minute.   Then be sure the USB is removed at that point.

Then power up the mahine, let it do its thing.   If the last run failed, it will do its own cleanup.

We need to takle things much slower.

By the way, Windows update does not mess with the audio / microphone.

Please do not do any other update runs without checking with me first.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Brava !  Bravo !

Do me a favor.   Press Windows-icon key & hold it   ( on the keyboard)  & then tap R key

and then type in

winver

Report back to me what the display shows  /   all of it.

Also,  let's run one tool to check on "current status "  on some apps.

SecurityCheck by glax24    

I would like you to run a tool named SecurityCheck to inquire on the current-security-update  status  of some applications.
Download SecurityCheck by glax24 from here and save the tool on the desktop.

Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"   and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
Wait for the scan to finish. It will open in a text file named SecurityType.txt. Close the file.  Attach it with your next reply.

You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt

I will guide you on tools cleanup on the next round.   I am very glad to know you did so well with Microsoft Windows Update.     😎😊😍

The Media Creation Tool USB  can be a lifesaver.   Keep it secure and safe somewhere.

Again, Bravo for having the Windows 10 build 1909.

This USB has the build 1909.  So when the upcoming build 2004 is released, I would only use the USB as a resue disc possibly, if Windows could not be started, for example.

Not necessarily to be used for any future Windows Update issue.

In future, if you have a serious issue with Windows Update, then seek appropriate help with the experts at https://sysnative.com

Sysnative forum has experts on Windows Updates  ( and other Windows O S issues).

I am so very happy to see that image from Winver !   I have set that post to be hidden because it had your email address.

What we did here was do a one time run around & take advantage of the fact that a newer Windows build ( 1909 ) was applied as a repair.

It is not something we want to do as regular practice.

Thanks for the SecurityCheck

Check for updates to Google Chrome.  Start Chrome.  Click the settings icon and select Help >> About Chrome   & let it Check for Updates.

These are cleanups for the tools I had you use:

To remove the FRSTENGLISH tool & its work files, do this.  Go to your Downloads file.    Do a RIGHT-click on FRSTENGLISH.exe & select RENAME & then change it to UNINSTALL.

Then run that ( double click on it)  to begin the cleanup process.

Delete mb-support-1.5.4.760.exe  on the Downloads folder

Delete mbst-grab-results.zip  on the Desktop

Delete MSERT.exe

Delete the ESET file   esetonlinescanner_enu.exe

Adwcleaner you should keep and use on-demand, as needed to check for adwares.

Anything else that I had you download, you may delete.

The first best practice of computer safety is to have backups of the system.  Make regular periodic backups to offline removable media.
Backup is your best friend.

It is not enough to just have a security program installed. Each pc user needs to practice daily safe computer and internet use.

Best  practices & malware prevention:
Follow best practices when browsing the Internet, especially on opening links coming from untrusted sources.
First rule of internet safety: slow down & think before you "click".
Never click links without first hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if it is going to an odd address ( one that does not fit or is odd looking or has typos).

Free games & free programs are like "candy". We do not accept them from "strangers".

Never open attachments that come with unexpected ( out of the blue ) email no matter how enticing.
Never open attachments from the email itself. Do not double click in the email. Always Save first and then scan with antivirus program.

Pay close attention when installing 3rd-party programs. It is important that you pay attention to the license agreements and installation screens when installing anything off of the Internet. If an installation screen offers you Custom or Advanced installation options, it is a good idea to select these as they will typically disclose what other 3rd party software will also be installed.
Take great care in every stage of the process and every offer screen, and make sure you know what it is you're agreeing to before you click "Next".

Use a Standard user account rather than an administrator-rights account when "surfing" the web.
See more info on Corrine's SecurityGarden Blog http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_7.html

Dont remove your current login. Just use the new Standard-user-level one for everyday use while on the internet.

Do a Windows Update.

Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

For other added tips, read "10 easy ways to prevent malware infection"

I am very glad to have helped you.  I wish you all the best.

Stay safe,

Sincerely,

Maurice

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks