Beenthere

Browser guard blocking Facebook sponsored ads

Posted (edited)

Hi

I installed Browser Guard a few days ago. I noticed while scrolling on Facebook, when I see a sponsored ad, it automatically disappears.

Is this the way it is supposed to work?

Thanks.

Edited by Beenthere

1 hour ago, Beenthere said:

Is this the way it is supposed to work?

Yes, And that is a good thing. Sponsored Ad's cause the most harm. Especially with fake support pages that lock the browsers.

Thank you.

And for a long time I thought there's no way to block Facebook's sponsored ads... since even uBlock origin couldn't block them.

Hello @Beenthere

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "this function" can you please provide more details on the issue you're experiencing. What do you see or not see vs. what you would expect to see or not see?

There are certain first level Ads that we do not currently block as it would break the entire layout of the website if we did. We hope to be able to correct that at some point in the future.

Thank you

Posted (edited)
On 4/20/2020 at 5:05 AM, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @Beenthere

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "this function" can you please provide more details on the issue you're experiencing. What do you see or not see vs. what you would expect to see or not see?

There are certain first level Ads that we do not currently block as it would break the entire layout of the website if we did. We hope to be able to correct that at some point in the future.

Thank you

By "this function" I mean blocking all sponsored ads on Facebook.

When I was scrolling through Facebook 2 weeks ago, ALL sponsored ads were disappearing.

Now, I see sponsored ads always on Facebook, non disappear.

Edited by Beenthere

Thanks @Beenthere

Ah.. okay. Depending on where or how an Ad is implemented we may not be able to remove some Ads as it would potentially break how the page is displayed. We're hoping to find another way to do this in the future though.

If you do need something more aggressive in just Ad blocking alone you might consider adding uBlock Origin to your browser.

Please see the following topic with further information on helping to protect your computer.

Tips to help protect from infection

Posted (edited)
On 4/21/2020 at 11:40 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

Thanks @Beenthere

Ah.. okay. Depending on where or how an Ad is implemented we may not be able to remove some Ads as it would potentially break how the page is displayed. We're hoping to find another way to do this in the future though.

If you do need something more aggressive in just Ad blocking alone you might consider adding uBlock Origin to your browser.

Please see the following topic with further information on helping to protect your computer.

Tips to help protect from infection

Thanks.

I have uBlock Origin.

Now when I think of it, it might have been uBlock that was blocking those ads all along, and now stopped working because of changes on Facebook.

Then I Googled and found that I should change/add something in uBlock because of the mentioned changes on Facebook.

They are blocked again now.

Edited by Beenthere

Great, glad to hear blocking is working. Now to just get you off of Facebook 😁 😅

Take care and stay safe out there

6 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Now to just get you off of Facebook 😁 😅

Hehe, I was thinking the exact same thing.  I actually have Facebook blocked entirely via my HOSTS file so my PC cannot connect at all to Facebook (or Twitter or pretty much any other social media platform).