MBAM 4.1. flagging Firefox 74.0.1

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

I assume both of you either have Firefox installed onto another drive instead of the C drive, and/or you're loading Profiles that are not on the C drive or default folder structure. Is that true?

Not true for me, have profile on the C Drive.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Root Admin
3 minutes ago, smokeejoe said:

Not true for me, have profile on the C Drive.

Okay, just wondering as so far you are the only 2 I've seen with the issue so trying to figure out what you both may have in common as no one else seems to be posting about this issue.

Thanks

On 7/2/2020 at 11:21 AM, LiquidTension said:

@frozen To confirm, is the issue still not exhibited with the latest standalone Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware?
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/258918-latest-version-of-mbarw-beta-v091956-11349-released-11-june-2020/

You mentioned the issue is not exhibited when using a different profile. Can you try a new/default profile located on a different drive so we can rule out if the contents of your profile has any impact?

-

The problem occurs in my case when I use my normal profile which is stored over on D drive. If I use the profile that is over on C drive  (which is a copy of the files I made from the D drive profile) the problem does NOT occur.

What is weird is that if I perform the update while using the D drive profile MBAM first flags Updater.exe when FIrefox is restartred after the update. Then MBAM simply terminates FIrefox upon restarting Firefox. None of this behavoir occurs when I use the C drive profile.

As I wrote in my post:

Just like @frozen, I have always had a profile on the D drive
However, the problem appeared for me first time on the night of July 9-10 when Firefox has updated to version 78.0.2 - although I haven't changed Firefox settings or add-ons or Malwarebytes (it was then 4.1.0.56 version) since the beginning of the year.

3 minutes ago, floc said:

As I wrote in my post:

Just like @frozen, I have always had a profile on the D drive
However, the problem appeared for me first time on the night of July 9-10 when Firefox has updated to version 78.0.2 - although I haven't changed Firefox settings or add-ons or Malwarebytes (it was then 4.1.0.56 version) since the beginning of the year.

Same thing here. I have been updating FIrefox without issues until April this year and was always using the profile on D drive. Only since then have I had to use the C profile to do the update I bet if I leave FIrefox alone for a day or so I will again be able to use the profile on D drive again without any repercussions from MBAM. At least that was what I experienced earlier this month. 

@AdvancedSetup @exile360

In my case, Firefox is installed as typical on the C drive, in Program Files.  My AppData folder is also on the C drive but most of my user data, including my Firefox profile, is on a different drive.  After upgrading to Firefox 79.0 today, MBAM flagged firefox.exe a few seconds after launching and wouldn't let me launch again so I had to completely disable the ransomware protection.  This is the first time this has happened for me.  Looking back over this thread, I don't think the version of Firefox matters.  I guess the profile being on a different drive isn't a requirement for the issue to occur but somehow greatly increases the chance of it happening.  I'm guessing there is some sort of heuristics occurring.

Anyway, I already created a support ticket earlier, which is 3131631 and attached the results of the support tool to the ticket.  Soon after I received what I assume to be a canned email response because the email requested I run the support tool even though I had already attached the results to the ticket.

I looked for and couldn't find a way to whitelist or create an exception for files erroneously flagged as ransomware like there is for web protection and malware.  That would be a nice feature to have for occurrences such as this.  But if the feature already exists and I'm missing it somehow in the UI , please let me know.

I just noticed that MBAM is still blocking FIrefox.exe from running. The EXE is still there on the hard drive. I had to close MBAM to run the program. There is s of course nothing inin quarantine. THis is because MBAM did a RTP detection on it. I guess I will have to disable Ransomware altogether in MBAM. If I do then Firefox is allowed to run, Same thing happens if MBAM is closed altogether.

Adding "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" as an exclusion to Ransomware and re-enabling Ransomware detection in MBAM allows me to run FIreofox even from the profile on D Drive. That is probably until the the next firefox update I guess.

12 hours ago, frozen said:

Adding "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" as an exclusion to Ransomware and re-enabling Ransomware detection in MBAM allows me to run FIreofox even from the profile on D Drive. That is probably until the the next firefox update I guess.

Thank you!  I couldn't find that option yesterday and after seeing your post and digging around a bit, I finally found it.  I thought the allow list was only for files detected as malware and PUPs as I had managed them within the Quarantine screen in the past and I could've sworn in the older UI that there was a separate screen to manage the Web Protection items.  So I was either confused and mistaken or they rolled separate options into one view in the new UI and threw me off.