Jump to content

Malwarebytes not registering in Windows 10 Virus and Threat Protection


Recommended Posts

Malwarebytes is not registering in Windows 10 Virus and Threat Protection.  It was previously registered when I first installed without issues, but a some point the windows security center stopped recognizing that malwarebytes is installed and active, and as such it enables windows defender real-time protection.  I've tried reinstalling malwarebytes but this has not solved the issue.  I'd prefer not to run both malwarebytes and windows defender in real time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

 

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column

    mbst_get_started.jpg
     
  7. Click the Gather Logs button

    mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg
     
  8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

    mbst_getting_logs.jpg
     
  9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be found on your Desktop. Click OK

    mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg
     
  10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:
 

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b
 

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

 

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

  • Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

 

 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Greetings,

Please open Malwarebytes and ensure that the option is enabled under Windows Security Center in settings under the Security tab, and then restart your system.  If that fails to resolve the issue then please try the following:

  1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

If the problem still persists then please provide us some logs so that we may take a closer look:

  1. Run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Please let us know how it goes and if the issue is resolved or not, and if necessary, provide the requested logs.

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, joe213 said:

I'd prefer not to run both malwarebytes and windows defender in real time.

I actually encourage clients to use both. You will be better protected with little or no additional overhead on your system.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Greetings,

Please open Malwarebytes and ensure that the option is enabled under Windows Security Center in settings under the Security tab, and then restart your system.  If that fails to resolve the issue then please try the following:

 

  1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

 

If the problem still persists then please provide us some logs so that we may take a closer look:

 

  1. Run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

 

Please let us know how it goes and if the issue is resolved or not, and if necessary, provide the requested logs.

Thanks

The clean install didn't work.  I've attached the logs to this message.

mbst-grab-results.zip

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I actually encourage clients to use both. You will be better protected with little or no additional overhead on your system.

I only game on this machine.  I don't really want the extra overhead.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, I believe I see what the issue is:

AntiVirus Information
==================================
Anti-Virus Product :     Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home
    Up To Date:    Yes    Enabled:    Off
Anti-Virus Product :     Windows Defender
    Up To Date:    Yes    Enabled:    On
Anti-Virus Product :     Malwarebytes
    Up To Date:    Yes    Enabled:    On

Emsisoft shows as installed and registered with the Windows Security Center as antivirus protection.  Removing that should cause Defender and Malwarebytes to behave normally and Defender should then disable itself.  Try uninstalling the Emsisoft product and restarting the system to see if that fixes the issue.  If it doesn't, then please try their clean uninstaller tool found here.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, exile360 said:

Thanks, I believe I see what the issue is:

 


AntiVirus Information
==================================
Anti-Virus Product :     Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home
    Up To Date:    Yes    Enabled:    Off
Anti-Virus Product :     Windows Defender
    Up To Date:    Yes    Enabled:    On
Anti-Virus Product :     Malwarebytes
    Up To Date:    Yes    Enabled:    On

 

Emsisoft shows as installed and registered with the Windows Security Center as antivirus protection.  Removing that should cause Defender and Malwarebytes to behave normally and Defender should then disable itself.  Try uninstalling the Emsisoft product and restarting the system to see if that fixes the issue.  If it doesn't, then please try their clean uninstaller tool found here.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

I don't know why it's saying that.  It's not currently installed.  I had previously installed it a long time ago, but I haven't ran EMSIsoft in quite a long time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried running the uninstaller you listed, and it confirmed that there are no traces left of emsisoft on my computer. The windows security center is only indicating that windows defender is active.  It's not telling me that either emsi or malwarebytes are installed 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, joe213 said:

I only game on this machine.  I don't really want the extra overhead.

Then I will leave you with this.

As good as Malwarebytes is, it is just a layer of protection.

Using a browser that has Ublock Origin and the Malwarebytes Browser guard enabled is also a layer of protection.

Not opening attachments from email unless you were expecting it from a specific user during a specific time period.

Do not use Torrents. Do not install every free software you find. Do not click links in unknown email. Go directly to the sit listed in the email.

Having monthly image of your computer on an external drive that is only connected during the backup is actually better than any protective software ever made. Macrium Reflect free is the program I use and place on every computer I service.

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, next please open Malwarebytes and locate the Windows Security Center setting I mentioned previously and toggle it off then back on again and restart your system, then check to see what the status is and let us know.

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, exile360 said:

OK, next please open Malwarebytes and locate the Windows Security Center setting I mentioned previously and toggle it off then back on again and restart your system, then check to see what the status is and let us know.

Thanks

I didn't have any effect. Malwarbytes still isn't listed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the issue is being caused by this lingering Emsisoft entry in the Windows Security Center:

AntiVirus Information
==================================
Anti-Virus Product :     Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home
    Up To Date:    Yes    Enabled:    Off
Anti-Virus Product :     Windows Defender
    Up To Date:    Yes    Enabled:    On
Anti-Virus Product :     Malwarebytes
    Up To Date:    Yes    Enabled:    On

The new logs show that it is still present and I'm not sure how to remove it.  You might try reinstalling/uninstalling the Emsisoft product again to see if that eliminates it but I'm not sure what else to try.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, exile360 said:

I think the issue is being caused by this lingering Emsisoft entry in the Windows Security Center:

 


AntiVirus Information
==================================
Anti-Virus Product :     Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home
    Up To Date:    Yes    Enabled:    Off
Anti-Virus Product :     Windows Defender
    Up To Date:    Yes    Enabled:    On
Anti-Virus Product :     Malwarebytes
    Up To Date:    Yes    Enabled:    On

 

The new logs show that it is still present and I'm not sure how to remove it.  You might try reinstalling/uninstalling the Emsisoft product again to see if that eliminates it but I'm not sure what else to try.

I can try that I guess, but Malwarebytes was registering correctly a few days ago.  I'm not sure what changed in the interim.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, joe213 said:

I can try that I guess, but Malwarebytes was registering correctly a few days ago.  I'm not sure what changed in the interim.

I don't know.  I didn't notice anything else when I skimmed your logs and your Malwarebytes installation looked normal as far as I could tell.  The Emsisoft entry was the only thing of note that stood out to me but if someone else knows better they are welcome to chime in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, exile360 said:

I don't know.  I didn't notice anything else when I skimmed your logs and your Malwarebytes installation looked normal as far as I could tell.  The Emsisoft entry was the only thing of note that stood out to me but if someone else knows better they are welcome to chime in.

I installed emsi and uninstalled it.  It didn't fix anything and the entry is still there in the logs when I generated a new one.  I'll probably just wind up disabling defender with group policy, because I don't really know how to get rid it of that EMSI log entry or if it's even causing the problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, if you just want Malwarebytes by itself without Defender then disabling Defender via GP should be sufficient.  I'm sorry I couldn't help more with eliminating that entry.  I know how to reset the Security Center status in older versions of Windows but not Windows 10, however perhaps someone else here knows how to do it and can aid you in eliminating the entry.  A good place to start would probably be our malware removal area as our malware removal specialists have access to additional tools that are not used in this part of the forums and perhaps one of those tools could remove the entry.  If you'd like to go that route then simply create a new topic in our malware removal area by clicking here and describe the issue about wanting to remove the Emsisoft entry from Security Center and post the logs requested in this topic and a malware removal specialist will take a look and assist.

I hope you find this helpful and please let us know if there is anything else we might help you with.

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello @joe213

I will assist you with your issue if you like. I've moved your topic to the malware removal forum so we can work on the issue and run some scanning tools.

 

Let's go ahead and scan your system to make sure there is no infection that might be causing this behavior.

 

 

Please run the following steps and post back the logs as an attachment when ready.

STEP 01

  • If you're already running Malwarebytes then open Malwarebytes and check for updates. Then click on the Scan tab and select Threat Scan and click on Start Scan button.
  • If you don't have Malwarebytes installed yet please download it from here and install it.
  • Once installed then open Malwarebytes and select Scan and let it run.
  • Once the scan is completed click on the View Report button, then the Export button and save the file as a Text file to your desktop or other location you can find and attach that log on your next reply.
  • If Malwarebytes won't run then please skip to the next step and let me know in your next reply.

STEP 02

Please download AdwCleaner by Malwarebytes and save the file to your Desktop.

  • Right-click on the program and select RunAsAdmin.jpg Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Accept the Terms of use.
  • Wait until the database is updated.
  • Click Scan Now.
  • When finished, please click Clean & Repair.
  • Your PC should reboot now if any items were found.
  • After reboot, a log file will be opened. Attach or Copy its content into your next reply.

 

RESTART THE COMPUTER Before running Step 3

STEP 03
Please download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

  • Double-click to run it. When the tool opens, click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). If you've, run the tool before you need to place a checkmark here.
  • Please attach the Additions.txt log to your reply as well.

 

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

For the first step, I want you to run this FRST fix. Then once it has completed and the computer rebooted I want you to do a clean removal of Malwarebytes and then reinstall it.

 

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

 

Once the above has completed and the computer has rebooted. Please run the following

Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Thanks

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Back to top
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.