Mail Protection

• Root Admin

Yes, this is an infected file. Due to some issues with the .ace archive many tools have stopped supporting it as well.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/85ad2f4e630cc8794924c4af6aa95c81d41ec456297df9547ea89b50b0c6075d/detection

I'd certainly look into whom you're getting your email from. All the major email providers already scan all mail for infections and most also filter for at least some level of spam.

Perhaps you may want to post in the malware removal forum to allow someone help you scan your system

Regarding .ACE archives/files, they are no longer supported in the most recent versions of WinRAR due to the known vulnerability with .ACE archives/executables so you should be safe as long as you keep WinRAR up to date (and of course don't open files that you aren't confident where they came from and whether they're safe).

• Root Admin

The concern is - what if some threat is using them as a means of extraction to bypass mail scanners. In this case it obviously passed whatever mail system was used but is odd as even Windows Defender on Windows 7 quarantined the file once I extracted it. I had to disable Windows Defender to extract it.

While we're on the subject of staying safe I'll go ahead and post the following information which will also go a long way in helping one to stay safe with the computer

If you're not backing up your data and you're still using Google Chrome then you're just not serious about Privacy, Safety, and protecting your data. Malwarebytes is a fantastic program but you still need to back up your data and you still need to block scripts and Ads in your browser. 
If you're still using Google Chrome I would highly suggest you consider using Firefox instead. For more advanced users you might consider installing NoScript as well (it does have a higher learning curve though)

PrivacyTools - Encryption, and tools to protect against global mass surveillance - https://www.privacytools.io

Help Secure your browsers

You may be interested in using our new Malwarebytes Browser Guard to help protect your browser from items that uBlock or others don't target.

Please install uBlock Origin for your browsers to better protect your system.

FireFox, ChromeOpera , SafariMicrosoft Edge
AdBlock Plus for Internet Explorer

How to use uBlock Origin to protect your online privacy and security | uBlock Origin tutorial 2018
This video tutorial above explains how to use uBlock Origin in advanced user mode and all the advanced settings to protect your online privacy and help prevent unwanted sites from changing your browser settings

Delete Cookies Automatically

Cookie AutoDelete plugin
Chrome  | Firefox 

Browser push notifications: a feature asking to be abused
HTTPS Everywhere
NOTHING TO HIDE documentary

Review your email and Office choices

Quit Gmail for free encrypted email - Tutanota
Why ProtonMail Is More Secure Than Gmail
LibreOffice - Free and open source office suite

Use Password Management software

Bitwarden
KeePass Password Safe

Make sure you use a strong master password
Then set the key transformation settings (the link below helps provide information on how to choose good settings)
https://pthree.org/2016/06/29/further-investigation-into-scrypt-and-argon2-password-hashing
KeePass Password Manager: Full Detailed Setup (good YouTube video on setup and using Keepass but choose the Argon2 method for Key transformation)

Encrypted Instant Messenger and Voice Calls

Please review the following site for a breakdown of features of different Messenger applications.

SafeSwiss
Riot
Signal
Wire     
NOTE: Recent news of Wire having new investors and moving to the United States.
Wickr Me

Follow-up Reading

Everything you need to know about cybercrime
10 easy ways to prevent malware infection 
Keep your data backed up

Thank you for choosing Malwarebytes as your preferred security protection software and tell your friends and family too. We're here to help.

Thanks @exile360 - I do make sure to have the latest versions of the products installed.

Thanks @AdvancedSetup - your reply was most enlightening - I have Firefox installed with MB Browser Guard - It has worked excellently with it. What backup do you recommend - at present my important documents/files are on Google Drive - Is there a good backup software or website you can recommend me?

Many thanks team wishing you both and your families safety and well-being during this crisis.

• Root Admin

This link above discusses data bakups

back up your data

I would also advise more than one backup media. More than a few users having learned the hard way that when they went to do a restore their backup failed for one reason or another.

Take care @NabeelMansoor