Number of objects changed between two scans

Hi,

I use Malwarebytes 4 on Mac. I just noticed that sometimes between two scans, the number of objects scanned will change (I believe I did not download or delete any files in between). I wonder could you please provide with an explanation for that?

Thanks a lot for your help!

I can’t give you an exact explanation because the areas that are scanned is proprietary information that only Malwarebytes can know as well as how your setup compares to mine, but I’ll give you what I think I know about this.

Some of the areas scanned include places where files are temporarily placed and ultimately deleted, either over time or when the process that placed them there is finished with them. So it isn’t checking only files that you download or delete, but also some files that are produced by running processes that you are using or run in the background on your Mac.

On 3/31/2020 at 3:55 PM, alvarnell said:

I can’t give you an exact explanation because the areas that are scanned is proprietary information that only Malwarebytes can know as well as how your setup compares to mine, but I’ll give you what I think I know about this.

Some of the areas scanned include places where files are temporarily placed and ultimately deleted, either over time or when the process that placed them there is finished with them. So it isn’t checking only files that you download or delete, but also some files that are produced by running processes that you are using or run in the background on your Mac.

Thanks for the detailed explanation!