flmnc

Task Manager closes shortly after selecting "More Details"

Hello!

I am having an issue where my Task Manager closes very shortly after I select more details and sometimes just when I start it up as well. I have done scans with various antivirus softwares (Avast Bootscan and the regular scans, McAcfee Stinger, Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, Defender; I only kept Malwarebytes after attempting all scans, and I had Malwarebytes prior), sfc scans in cmd (which tell me nothing is wrong), and manually looking through the startup programs to see if anything is an issue through msconfig. The Task Manager still doesn't work in Safe Mode and doesn't work when disabling all startup programs asides from the necessary Microsoft ones either. It is always possible that I missed the issue whilst manually looking through the tasklist, but almost everything seemed to be an essential program or something I recognize. Regedit, msconfig, and all other programs also seem to work fine as well without closing. I also attempted to reset Task Manager and put it to default settings, but that didn't do anything either. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated; thank you for taking the time to read this as well.

Hello @flmnc and :welcome:

Please run the following steps and post back the logs as an attachment when ready.

STEP 01

• If you're already running Malwarebytes then open Malwarebytes and check for updates. Then click on the Scan tab and select Threat Scan and click on Start Scan button.
  • If you don't have Malwarebytes installed yet please download it from here and install it.
  • Once installed then open Malwarebytes and select Scan and let it run.
  • Once the scan is completed click on the View Report button, then the Export button and save the file as a Text file to your desktop or other location you can find and attach that log on your next reply.
  • If Malwarebytes won't run then please skip to the next step and let me know in your next reply.

STEP 02

Please download AdwCleaner by Malwarebytes and save the file to your Desktop.

• Right-click on the program and select RunAsAdmin.jpg Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Accept the Terms of use.
  • Wait until the database is updated.
  • Click Scan Now.
  • When finished, please click Clean & Repair.
  • Your PC should reboot now if any items were found.
  • After reboot, a log file will be opened. Attach or Copy its content into your next reply.

RESTART THE COMPUTER Before running Step 3

STEP 03
Please download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens, click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). If you've, run the tool before you need to place a checkmark here.
  • Please attach the Additions.txt log to your reply as well.

Thanks

The computer does not appear to be infected but it does have a few possible issues. We'll go ahead and check all the core Operating System files as well as run some Windows Defender updates and scan and then restart the computer and run a disk check.

This may take about 45 minutes to an hour to complete depending on the speed of your computer.

Please make sure you temporarily disable Avast Antivirus and Malwarebytes before running this script fix.

Please make sure you allow updates to FRST as well if asked.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

I'll respond and let you know once the recovery is done, it has taken a few hours, but still seems to be running, so hopefully that means it's fixing something.

Wouldn't have expected a few hours. Please click on Start and type in "Check for updates" and see if Windows is downloading or installing any updates.

It says I'm up to date (last checked 7:37) but there is an optional update available. Asides from that, the tool has just been telling me to wait and that fixing is in progress. I sent a screenshot, it's like that except the green is moving indicating loading.

https://prnt.sc/rp412s

Do I try to run the fixlist again after I restart?

From the log

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them."

We'll go ahead and run some more fixes and see if we can get it to correct that.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Let me know

Yes, looks good. This is from the log.

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them."

How is the computer running now? What about the Task Manager?

The computer is actually running smoother than usual, but Task Manager is still unfortunately closing on me. 

Please click on Start and type in "Check for updates" and post back a screenshot of what it shows there for Windows updates

Okay, please create a new System Restore Point.

Restart the computer.
Exit out of Malwarebytes once the computer restarts.

Then run that optional update. I've updated it myself on about 5 machines and have not had any issues with this update. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4541335/windows-10-update-kb4541335

If for some reason you do have any issues with the update you can uninstall it or rollback but based on my own experience and reading online aside from some failures to install the first time I don't see a rash of issues posted.

Exiting out of Malwarebytes and restarting before you do this update should help to make sure the update goes well

Okay, click on Start and type in "troubleshoot settings" it should auto start to find it on it's own before you finish finding it.

Open the Trouble Shooter and try the "Program Compatibility Troubleshooter"  See if Task Manger is listed or not. As a native application it should not be.

Then take a look at the Reliability Monitor and see if it offers help 

https://www.howtogeek.com/166911/reliability-monitor-is-the-best-windows-troubleshooting-tool-you-arent-using/

Well I do have an nvidia graphics card, so I'll go ahead and give that a try. Otherwise, Task Manager does not show up as a native application, and the reliability monitor does show the issue, but doesn't give me the option to find solutions from what I see like in the link you sent me. I'll try what it says in the link now. It works perfectly fine on its own in the simple mode, but only closes when I click on the details button. I think at some point it might've been from the start if I remember correctly, but not now.