Smiley

Keep Re-Installing Chrome - Chromium Update Bug (Don't Even HAVE Chromium)

The laptop is older and I bought it a couple of months ago used and probably won't be able to update my hardware any time soon so I need to keep this running. It has Windows 10 and I am getting used to using that too as I was on Windows 7 for a very long time. There have been issues and they have varied and Malwarebytes did find around a hundred items when I ran it about two weeks ago and when I do run it, there always seems to be a little something. I also use Dr. Web and am in the middle of a 90 day demo of it. I have Sypbot Search & Destroy installed but use its scan primarily. I do not leave it open though I HAVE employed its immunization function. I also use a demo version of System Mechanic.

My current problem is that Google Chrome is rendered useless on a daily basis and I have to reinstall it every day. Before this happens, consistently, I will get a text dialogue box open up that is not of the usual fashion. It's not a normal prompt and it is not a run command window but it looks like old school text in a black box, it looks like a text editor except it's black on the interior instead of white and I can't type in it. It tells me there is an error (have not written it down yet) in updating CHROMIUM, the Linux version. Only I have never had Chromium on this, since it is Windows 10. It also gives me a bug log on the desktop which I have, unfortunately, thrown away each time.

I did not expect to be coming here or I would have saved them and I will now if these instances crop up again. What kind of bug or infection would do this? Also, is Frostwire safe?

It's open source and I do not use it for copyright infringement (if that matters on a technical level) so I don't see how there could be a problem but I hear rumors.

Do I need to install Hijack This? I know it used to be required for help here years ago... I currently have Chrome uninstalled and have deleted the remaining folders, by the way.

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column

mbst_get_started.jpg

7. Click the Gather Logs button

mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

mbst_getting_logs.jpg

9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be found on your Desktop. Click OK

mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

6 minutes ago, Smiley said:

The laptop is older and I bought it a couple of months ago used and probably won't be able to update my hardware any time soon so I need to keep this running. It has Windows 10 and I am getting used to using that too as I was on Windows 7 for a very long time. There have been issues and they have varied and Malwarebytes did find around a hundred items when I ran it about two weeks ago and when I do run it, there always seems to be a little something.

Hello and Welcome

Sorry to hear your having issues.... You say you bought this laptop used.  When you got the laptop was it wiped clean from the previous owner, that is a fresh install of windows?  If not that is part of your issue, you inherited a computer from a previous owner including any issues it had, and you have no idea what was on it.  If that is the case then it would be best to set it back to factory settings first, then customize it to how you like it.

That being said, if you can provide the requested logs from the post above, that will help us help you diagnose the issues.

Hello @Smiley

Please run the following steps and post back the logs as an attachment when ready.

STEP 01

• If you're already running Malwarebytes then open Malwarebytes and check for updates. Then click on the Scan tab and select Threat Scan and click on Start Scan button.
  • If you don't have Malwarebytes installed yet please download it from here and install it.
  • Once installed then open Malwarebytes and select Scan and let it run.
  • Once the scan is completed click on the View Report button, then the Export button and save the file as a Text file to your desktop or other location you can find and attach that log on your next reply.
  • If Malwarebytes won't run then please skip to the next step and let me know in your next reply.

STEP 02

Please download AdwCleaner by Malwarebytes and save the file to your Desktop.

• Right-click on the program and select RunAsAdmin.jpg Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Accept the Terms of use.
  • Wait until the database is updated.
  • Click Scan Now.
  • When finished, please click Clean & Repair.
  • Your PC should reboot now if any items were found.
  • After reboot, a log file will be opened. Attach or Copy its content into your next reply.

RESTART THE COMPUTER Before running Step 3

STEP 03
Please download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens, click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). If you've, run the tool before you need to place a checkmark here.
  • Please attach the Additions.txt log to your reply as well.

Thanks

Today, I gamed a bit and left my laptop on and it went to sleep. When I triggered it by moving the mouse, the first thing I saw was this, followed by the inability to open Firefox, requiring me to re-install it. Regarding the fact that I bought it used, the user did say that it had been factory reset and this problem was not there initially but developed several weeks later.

Back to the screen snip. The .exe file referred to is not showing up in my temp files though it says it's there. Obviously many of the files are invisible and I don't seem to be able to get them to show. Similarly, neither Malwarebytes, nor Dr Web, nor Spybot S&D find anything there but the moment this is triggered, the two browsers I most use become dead in the water. Firefox gives me an error and Chrome simply does nothing. I always click on "block once" with that item.

The second image is of the dialogue box underneath my firewall's prompt. This box disappears without X-ing it out, as soon as I click on ANYTHING else. Somebody asked for this information so here it is. Now onto employing the advice offered by "AdvancedSetup", after which I will post as requested.

one.png

two.png

FYI, at the start of this process, Chrome was no longer installed and Firefox freshly so. For what it's worth, this glitch, or what have you, results in problems with the two browsers I use the most. I never use Explorer or Edge. When I use them because the others are rendered inert, they work fine. I have no idea if this has to do with the code of the individual browsers and respective vulnerabilities or if it's merely that they are more exposed through significant hours spent using them.

Here are the logs you asked for. First the Malwarebytes Log, then the Adw Log, then the two from FARBAR.

mbscan.txt adwscan.txt FRST.txt Addition.txt

I wonder if it got that ijubgqv.exe that seems to trigger the breakdown.

Please temporarily disable Dr Web antivirus then run the following fix.

Highly suggest you uninstall and discontinue use of System Mechanic. More than enough instances where the tool has caused more harm than good. Windows has the all the tools native to do maintenance on its own.

Also, please research CCleaner many experts no longer recommend it.
https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-review/why-you-shouldnt-download-ccleaner-for-windows-anymore/

https://www.howtogeek.com/172820/beginner-geek-what-does-ccleaner-do-and-should-you-use-it/

Based on the following errors I would suggest you allow me to help you fully uninstall and clean up all Google software and if you then want Google Chrome we can reinstall. It is more than likely a Registry entry issue but may or may not be easy to locate, fix

Application errors:
==================
Error: (03/28/2020 12:50:14 PM) (Source: Chromium Update) (EventID: 1) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: Event-ID 1

Error: (03/28/2020 12:26:27 PM) (Source: MsiInstaller) (EventID: 11316) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: Product: Google Update Helper -- Error 1316. The specified account already exists.

Error: (03/28/2020 11:26:27 AM) (Source: MsiInstaller) (EventID: 11316) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: Product: Google Update Helper -- Error 1316. The specified account already exists.

Error: (03/28/2020 07:01:44 AM) (Source: Chromium Update) (EventID: 1) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Error: (03/27/2020 08:47:32 PM) (Source: Chromium Update) (EventID: 1) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Error: (03/27/2020 04:48:16 PM) (Source: Chromium Update) (EventID: 1) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Error: (03/27/2020 03:47:39 PM) (Source: Chromium Update) (EventID: 1) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Error: (03/27/2020 02:54:33 PM) (Source: Chromium Update) (EventID: 1) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

System errors:
=============
Error: (03/28/2020 12:54:57 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7034) (User: )
Description: The Chromium Update Service (chromium) service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 2 time(s).

Error: (03/28/2020 12:50:14 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7034) (User: )
Description: The Chromium Update Service (chromium) service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

Error: (03/28/2020 12:49:06 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7009) (User: )
Description: A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the NVIDIA Streamer Network Service service to connect.

Error: (03/28/2020 12:47:40 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7034) (User: )
Description: The Chromium Update Service (chromium) service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

Disabling Dr Web, unfortunately, means uninstalling it. I have never seen this before but processes keep renewing themselves when I kill them via task manager. Dr Web has three or four processes running at the same time and they seem to make sure the others don't stop. It might be part of its security. I can probably reinstall afterwards again with what is left of my demo. Shall I continue?

The Chromium update popped up again and Chrome stopped working again. I uninstalled it. I noticed that it was that a process was in my list this time as ChromiumUpdate and I ended the process. I also noticed that it was created the day my Visual C updated last, which was probably already obvious to you I am guessing.

Regarding CCleaner, I haven't had it installed for some time. Are there files indicating it lingers? Also, I will probably take your advice regarding System Mechanic.

I should report that while I was answering this post, Dr Web caught what it described as a malicious object. I have attached a screen snip. As I had uninstalled Chrome since you posted this and since this new security development is occurring, I thought it best to ask if you thought I should proceed as before. I will monitor this thread more closely in order to facilitate a smoother interaction.

Annotation 2020-03-30 113851.png

Also, I probably should not have as it might affect the script but deleted the folder entitled Chromium Update. If these kinds of things get in the way of your help, let me know and I will desist.

I remembered something else that might be pertinent. When I first saw Chromium update pop up weeks ago, I had been through a number of security issues and when prompted by Dr Web to examine its attempt to connect to the web, I blocked it, knowing I did not HAVE Chromium. Since then, the Google Chrome issues have repeated. Today, when the update popped up and Chrome stopped working, I noticed an attempt to reach the web as in the firewall screenshot above, but the .exe file was another random looking array of letters, this time cnrmhfjvx.exe... If I just allow this to connect, will it help my problems?

I will take your lead. I am all ears.

Let's do the following. Please do a Full scan with Dr Web and remove or quarantine any threats it finds.

Then temporarily uninstall Dr. Web (you're on Windows 10 so it already has built-in Windows Defender antivirus which is pretty good nowadays so you're not without protection)

Then go ahead and run fix I posted above and post back the log and I will review it.

Thanks

Can you please attach the following zip file from your desktop that we created. It is a quarantine folder of what was removed.

C:\Users\User\Desktop\31.03.2020_09.02.50.zip

Can you please go ahead and run a new scan with FRST and make sure you also get a new Additions.txt log.

Thanks

The logs do show you have Google Chrome installed with some extensions.

Chrome: 
=======
CHR Profile: C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default [2020-03-31]
CHR Notifications: Default -> hxxps://ytmp3.cc
CHR Extension: (Slides) - C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\aapocclcgogkmnckokdopfmhonfmgoek [2020-01-17]
CHR Extension: (Docs) - C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\aohghmighlieiainnegkcijnfilokake [2020-01-17]
CHR Extension: (Google Drive) - C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\apdfllckaahabafndbhieahigkjlhalf [2020-01-17]
CHR Extension: (YouTube) - C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\blpcfgokakmgnkcojhhkbfbldkacnbeo [2020-01-17]
CHR Extension: (Sheets) - C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\felcaaldnbdncclmgdcncolpebgiejap [2020-01-17]
CHR Extension: (Google Docs Offline) - C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\ghbmnnjooekpmoecnnnilnnbdlolhkhi [2020-03-11]
CHR Extension: (Chrome Web Store Payments) - C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\nmmhkkegccagdldgiimedpiccmgmieda [2020-01-17]
CHR Extension: (Gmail) - C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\pjkljhegncpnkpknbcohdijeoejaedia [2020-01-17]
CHR Extension: (Chrome Media Router) - C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\pkedcjkdefgpdelpbcmbmeomcjbeemfm [2020-03-23]
CHR Profile: C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\System Profile [2020-03-31]

I'm going to give you a script that will forcefully remove EVERYTHING related to Google software. If you have any other Google software or need to backup your bookmarks first please do so.  Save them outside of any Google folder structure

This script will not ask if okay to remove. It will forcefully and permanently remove all Google software.

WARNING!! Anyone else reading this topic, DO NOT run this script. It is for @Smiley only. It will forcefully and permanently remove all Google software and cannot be undone.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

Well, I ran it as before, not thinking you might have meant as a scan this time. That means it's fixing again. There seems no way to abort so I hope fixing twice doesn't create any problems.

Currently waiting.

And there's a problem. It seems to have permanently gone to sleep. It won't display. The screen is dark and the computer is on. It's unresponsive and I am loathe to restart my machine in the middle of a fix. 

No laptop currently. 😞

As it's unresponsive to anything else I guess I have no alternative but to restart.

Power down by force that is....

Holding down button... Never thought I might have to back up all my data over this...

Should I run the scan instead? Okay to put up Dr Web yet?