Cannot install Malwarbytes

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Running much better.  Thanks for all the help!

A couple of issues, but probably not related to Malware.  So I understand if you can't assist me with this.  But,

1. Windows is apparently unable to install Security Update for Windows 8.1 (KB3172729).  Ran the windows update troubleshooter, apparently something is corrupt.   Looks like its been trying since at least October on that one.

2. I'm getting a message in the notification center to turn on my Virus Scan, but it looks like Defender is running running.   If I click on any of the 'Turn on Now' buttons, it just takes me to 'C:\WINDOWS\system32' folder.', with no action.

Is my best bet to do a System Refresh at this point? 

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected font issue

• Root Admin

If you do a System Refresh you'd undo everything we've worked on.

The KB you referenced is an update to Secure Boot. Though a great feature if you're not using Secure Boot (many users do not have their system setup to use it) then it might not make that much difference, but we'll go ahead and run some fixes and see if we can get it going.

Please run FRST again for me and make sure to check the Additions.txt check box and attach back both new logs and I'll see if we can get this fixed or not.

• Root Admin

Actually Malwarebytes and Windows Defender do not show up properly in the system log. Let me have you run the following for me.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

• Root Admin

Do you have some other security software or firewall running ? The DISM command reaches out to Microsoft online to run but was blocked.

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.3.9600.19408

Image Version: 6.3.9600.19397

Error: 0x800f0906

The source files could not be downloaded.

You may want to try unplugging the power from your router for a couple of minutes. Then plug it back in and after a couple more minutes restart your computer and then try downloading and running the fix again.

• Root Admin

No, something stopped it again.

Let's try the following

Please download MiniToolBox save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following check-boxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using Reset FF Proxy Settings option Firefox should be closed.

• Root Admin

Yes, something on your network is having issues finding sites properly. For now at least temporarily can you please set Google DNS as your DNS provider.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns

Configure your network settings to use the IP addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers.

Then reboot and try the fix one more time.

5 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Yes, something on your network is having issues finding sites properly. For now at least temporarily can you please set Google DNS as your DNS provider.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns

Configure your network settings to use the IP addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers.

Then reboot and try the fix one more time.

When I changed the settings, I lost internet access.  My configuration shows both IP4 & IP6, so I used the settings according to the link for both of those.  Is that correct?

"Replace those addresses with the IP addresses of the Google DNS servers:

• For IPv4: 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4.
  • For IPv6: 2001:4860:4860::8888 and/or 2001:4860:4860::8844."

image.png.4699c3d6d764283e75575c9f771f8888.png

• Root Admin

Great, both SFC and DISM now return that the OS files are good.

Please run a new Malwarebytes Threat Scan and post back that log.

Then run FRST again and get me both new log files FRST and ADDITIONS

Also, let me know how the computer is running now and if there are any other specific issues you need help with.

• Root Admin

Please go here and manually download the file for your computer.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3172729

Run this tool first though and let me know the results

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter