KeithAu9360

Malwarebytes 4.1.0 is causing system to crash

1 hour ago, KeithAu9360 said:

Please remember that the issue only arose with the 4.1.0 Update, it was running fine on this Windows 10 Pro Version 2004 19041.153 version, until the update.  I appreciate the assistance but I think the program supplier should be doing something, I get you are a "Third Party Support" person and can only offer assistance.  I just get annoyed when it is always"my system/ programs" causing the errors, and not the program I installed.

Given your description of events it is very likely that a change in the most recent release of Malwarebytes is at fault for the issue, however I believe what others are trying to determine is what other factors are involved which cause the issue to reveal itself.  In this case, Trend Micro has been noted as a possible factor.  This does not mean that anyone is blaming Trend or their developers, and certainly not you, for the issue, however Malwarebytes claiming responsibility for the issue will not get the issue fixed because they do not yet know precisely how to replicate the issue or what other factors might be involved, hence the request for logs and trying to eliminate variables which may factor into triggering the issue to occur because the more information about the actual cause of the issue and how to replicate it that the Developers have, the easier it will be for them to root out the issue and get it fixed in a future update.  Knowing that the software is malfunctioning is not enough information to effect a solution, therefore they seek details on how to replicate the issue and any additional factors which might be involved in order to actually find the problem in the code and get it fixed.

With that said, I understand your frustration; you paid for the software and you just want it to work and everything was fine with your system until the most recent update which suddenly has made your system unstable through no fault of your own, and no one here is blaming you either, I just want to make that clear.  However, part of taking responsibility for an issue is actually trying to resolve it and that is what AdvancedSetup and Porthos are trying to do because they don't want the software malfunctioning on your system any more than you do, they simply want to help find the cause to aid the Developers in resolving the issue permanently and hopefully provide a workaround for you in the meantime so that you may continue to use the software without any further disruptions or issues if possible.

And of course if you are not satisfied with the software and service being provided you are free to seek a refund by contacting Malwarebytes Support as suggested by AdvancedSetup above.  Either way I hope that the issue with the software is resolved quickly.

Ok, I have re-installed 3.8.3 which did a minor update to Malwarebytes Version: 3.8.3.2695 | Component Package version 1.0.629 | Update Package Version: 1.0.15486.  I ran a scan again and it detected Chrome settings etc.  Which I added to the Exception List.  I also added C:\Program Files\ Trend Micro and C:\Program Data\ Trend Micro to the list.  I also added the program folders for Malwarebytes to Trend, unfortunately I could not find the Program Data Files.  With this version of Malwarebytes the system is running ok (although a little slower than it was without MB installed and running).  As a side point, I cannot seem to stop Malwarebytes from starting when Windows starts up, (It is not listed in the start-up Programs in task manager).  Further, there does not seem to be anything in the settings or any other section of Malwarebytes 3.8.3 to stop it from running at startup.  There doesn't seem to be anything readily available when I do a search on the subject. - Some directions tell me to go to Startup and disable it, but as it is not listed in the startup selections I cannot do that.  I will not run an update, nor will I accept an update, until I ensure this version is ok/ stable (for about a week).  I will eventually "Try" the 4.1.0 with the exceptions in place, and if it crashes again I will put a post here.

There is an option to control Malwarebytes startup under Settings under the Protection or Security tab I believe; it should be listed under the startup options.  Disable that and Malwarebytes shouldn't run at startup.

As for ProgramData, if you're having trouble located the C:\ProgramData folder it may be because it is hidden in Windows by default.  Instructions on showing hidden files and folders can be found here.