Malwarebytes 4.1.0 is causing system to crash

Starting about a month ago Malwarebytes was causing programs to become non responsive, and the entire system to do the same.  As my system was getting a little old, I "thought" maybe upgrade the system which I did a week ago.  I made no changes to the contents of any HDDs and just re-activated windows for the new system... Unfortunately, the same problem occurred, I doubled the memory from 16 GB to 32 GB a brand new Motherboard and from a 3.2 GHz dual Core CPU to 3.6 GHz Quad Core.  So, I bit the bullet (so to speak, and wiped the Drive clean and re-installed Windows and other programs, everything went fine, until today (Friday 27 March 2020) when I re-installed Malwarebytes.  I installed the version I had saved (3.83) and it run fine, then it informed me that there was a later version (4.1.0) which I installed...... withing 5 minutes after installing the update the system crashed as it was doing before I made changes - In short, it seems that MB 4.1.0 is buggy.  While I am no Expert with computers, I do know my way around them to the point I can build, and set them up to a working machine, and have very little trouble - if any - with them.  I am aware, that if a program or program update has been written on an over-clocked machine, it can, and quite often does, cause a resource issue as because it was written on the over-clocked machine it expects to be able to use the same, or similar resources.  I admit, I may be over-thinking the problem so I would ask the developers to look into this issue and come up with a solution to the problem.  As soon as I "Exited" MB the computer worked fine, and obviously when I uninstalled MB, the computer run fine.  Had I have known what the problem was a month ago, I would not have had to spend money - and a lot of time replacing hardware, and now, software as well.  The previous version Of MB had no obvious issues, so I would suggest you look at this Latest version and see what changes were made, how it was developed/ written and see if you can solve the problem with a new update that does not cause issues.

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column

mbst_get_started.jpg

7. Click the Gather Logs button

mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

mbst_getting_logs.jpg

9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be found on your Desktop. Click OK

mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

@KeithAu9360

We need to get information from this machine in order to have the proper detail to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system and is only available to authorized members and the original poster.

Can you please follow the directions from the following KB article and post back your logs so that we can review

Upload Malwarebytes Support Tool logs manually

Thank you

19 minutes ago, KeithAu9360 said:

The problem is, that if I install MB back onto the system and allow the update, I don't get a chance to run any programs, as the system stops working.... So, it will be practically impossible to run any programs, including diagnostic ones, with Malwarebytes running.

You do not need MB installed to get the logs.

Edited by Porthos

• Root Admin

Let us just get the following logs then @KeithAu9360

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

So, do I need to have Malwarebytes installed, and running to run this program?  Again, I repeat, with MB running It is almost impossible to run ANY program, the freeze when loading, or load and become unresponsive straight away.  My system is NOT the problem.  As, while I am typing this reply, I have Outlook, Chrome, and 3 other programs running (Not Malwarebytes as I uninstalled that) and my system is running fine.  I have found with a lot of software providers they are not willing to accept that their software may be faulty.  With Malwarebytes installed and running, My system ends up crashing - after my programs either dont load, or load then become unresponsive.  Without Malwarebytes installed and running, My system runs fine.  One can only accept that it is not the system, but it IS the software program causing the errors/ failures/ issues.I need a reliable system, up until the last update to 4.1.0 there was no real issues - except my system was running a little slower than I would like, but it did not crash.  Now after the update, it became very unstable.  Remove the program it is once again very stable and running as fast as it should be.  I know the software provider WONT accept this, but I can guarantee it IS Malwarebytes CAUSING the problems.  Further, the download was classified by Chrome as a possible risk.  What "Guarantee" do I have that this is not risky software.  If My Anti-virus program stops it, it means that there is a likely risk.  If I disable my anti-virus program and run the software and it does cause issues with my system you certainly wont accept any responsibility, will you?

1 hour ago, KeithAu9360 said:

Actually, I just tried running the program, and even Windows Blocked it.  So, what else do you suggest?

You need to allow it. The program just COLLECTS system information and at this point makes NO changes.

It is used on most all help forums literately 1000's of times a week.

Were not here to screw up your computer just find out why Malwarebytes is not working for you.

• Root Admin

Please tell Windows Defender or Smart Screen or other security software that it's okay to download and run it. The tool only collects data unless you provide it a script to run. In your case we're not providing a script. Just asking it to provide data.

Thanks

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information

1 minute ago, KeithAu9360 said:

Do I have to install Malwarebytes and let it run before using the tool.

You do NOT have to reinstall MB.

1 minute ago, KeithAu9360 said:

You still have not answered the question

On 3/27/2020 at 8:05 AM, Porthos said:

You do not need MB installed to get the logs.

So assuming you have a license for MB, You will have to install and make mutual exclusions between Trend Micro and Malwarebytes. Using the free version has no active shields and would not give you any issues.

Create exclusions between Malwarebytes and Your AV to help prevent any possible conflicts or performance issues.  Please add the items listed in this support article to Your AV 's allow list(s)/trust list(s)/exclusion list(s) particularly for any of its real-time protection components and likewise add Your AV 's program folder(s) (likely located under C:\Program Files and/or C:\Program Files (x86)) to Malwarebytes' Allow List using the method described under the Allow a file or folder section of this support article and do the same for its primary data folder which is likely located under C:\ProgramData (you may need to show hidden files and folders to see it).

If the exclusion do not correct the issue, We will have to determine which protection in Malwarebytes is causing the issue one at a time.

I would suggest using the offline installer to install MB this time around.

Download the offline installer from : https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb4_offline

• Root Admin

You have Trend Micro Maximum Security antivirus installed. If you're having issues my initial guess would be that there needs to be better exclusions setup or if you don't have any setup to set them up.

You could also try uninstalling Trend Micro Maximum Security and reboot. Then see if you can install and run Malwarebytes without any issues or not and let us know..

I have no intentions of removing my antivirus program.  It is far better than the standard Windows Security.  I have no intention of leaving my computer open to Computer Viruses.  MB is NOT an antivirus program as Trend does not detect a lot of Malware and Spyware.  Hence why I use both.  Now, I will repeat, I had the previous version of MB on my system and had no issues, but once I installed the update to 4.1.0 the issues started.  I therefore say that if anyone needs to be making changes, it is Malwarebytes.  Oh I have the PAID version, not the free version, so I would expect a little better support for what I am paying for.  There were no issues until the latest update of Malwarebytes.  So "blaming" my system/ software just doesn't cut it.

I am pretty positive you cannot blame Trend as there are no onscreen warnings, nor is there anything in the logs of trend to say there is an issue with Malwarebytes.
I will attempt to find the Exceptions list in Malware Bytes, but on last look there were no issues with Trend.  
One report I did get was from Chrome, but these were referring to "settings" in Chrome including Favourites and other similar settings.  But certainly nothing to do with Trend.
After I install Malware Bytes, I will reject the Update until I can add the Exceptions below for Malwarebytes

Files by path
C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\*
C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes Endpoint Agent\*
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Endpoint Agent\*
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\*
or
Folders by path
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Endpoint Agent\*
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\*
C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes Endpoint Agent\*
C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\*

Please remember that the issue only arose with the 4.1.0 Update, it was running fine on this Windows 10 Pro Version 2004 19041.153 version, until the update.  I appreciate the assistance but I think the program supplier should be doing something, I get you are a "Third Party Support" person and can only offer assistance.  I just get annoyed when it is always"my system/ programs" causing the errors, and not the program I installed.

• Root Admin
17 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

If you're unhappy with the program or the performance you can open a ticket and request a refund for the product. No one wants you to spend money for something you don't want or doesn't work for you.

Thank you again

Please contact support. They can assist you with a refund