Can't install Malwarebytes (permission denied)

Hi,     :welcome:

My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.

Let me know what first name you prefer to go by.

Please follow my directions as we go along.  Please do not do any changes on your own without first checking with me.

If you will be away for more than 3 consecutive days,  do try to let me know ahead of time, as much as possible.

Please only just attach   all report files, etc  that I ask for as we go along.

Please know I help here as a volunteer.  and that I am not on 24 x 7.

Help on this forum is one to one

You mention

I was infected

I will need details about that.  What kind of infection, what filename & where, etc

Later on, I will need a report from this machine so that I can see the setup logs for Malwarebytes.

You said the pc was / is ( perhaps) infected.  Lets do a first scan, please.   Have patience during all this.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner  is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that  can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system.

The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Let me know the result of this.

The log is named MSERT.log 

the log will be at  %SYSTEMROOT%\debug\msert.log   which in most cases is

C:\Windows\debug\msert.log

Please attach that log with your reply.

We will do more, later.

Hi,  This is my second reply.  Please be sure you have seen the first on2 & have run the Microsoft  Safety Scanner.

The FRST shows that you got the mb-clean tool.   Please do not ever use that.  It is a obsolete tool.  Do not get nor make changes on your own.

Allow me to be the guide and if you have questions, Stop & Ask me first.

We will later on do a whole new re-install of Malwarebytes using a specific procedure.   That will be later.

These here are additional steps to do other specialized tasks intended to find and remove potential or actual malware.  There are at several very suspicious files running from non-standard locations.

Please do all of these as much as possible.  But also please keep going down this list.

[   1    ]

Please read all of these lines first so that it is all clear to you about our plan. I need a one time run of MBAR like listed here, please.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit (MBAR) from this link here

and save it to your desktop.

RIGHT-click on the MBAR file and select "Run as Administrator"  & allow it to run.  Reply YES when prompted to proceed.

•Click OK on the next screen, to allow the package to extract the contents of the file to its own folder named mbar.

•mbar.exe will launch automatically. On some systems, this may take a few extra seconds. Please be patient and wait for the program to open.

•After reading the Introduction, click 'Next' if you agree.

•On the Update Database screen, click on the 'Update' button.

•Once you see 'Success: Database was successfully updated' click on 'Next', then click the Scan button.

With some infections, you may see two messages boxes:

1.'Could not load protection driver'. Click 'OK'.
2.'Could not load DDA driver'. Click 'Yes' to this message, to allow the driver to load after a restart. Allow the computer to restart. Continue with the rest of these instructions.

•If malware is found, press the Cleanup button when the scan completes. .

Please attach the log it produces, you'll find the log in that mbar folder as MBAR-log-<date and time>***.txt . Please attach that to your next reply.

Just please go forward with the Next step below here.

[    2    ]

Please Close and Save any open work you may have open.

Please close as many un-needed app-windows that you yourself may have open at this point.   So you can have a clear field of view.

This custom script is for  Thomukas420    only / for this machine only.

Close and save any open work files before starting this procedure. 

Please Close and save any open work files before you start this next step.  It will involve a Windows Restart at the end of it.

I am sending a   custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRST64 tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE  link AS and save it directly ( as is) to the  Desktop  folder

The tool named FRST64.exe   tool    is already on the Desktop folder

Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the Desktop.

RIGHT click on  FRST64    and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.

to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.

IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen

and click button Run anyway on next screen.

on the FRST window:
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

image.png.17a01914af72ea867d31d7e56c0d8432.png

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. This run here should be fairly quick.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

We will do much more later.   Including also a new install of Malwarebytes.  Please just wait for my guidance.  Do not do things on your own.

Thanks for understanding & patience.

Sincerely.

Fixlist.txt

Edited by Maurice Naggar

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks