I'd like to be able to scan all files -Canvasinc

I noted on a previous post (another topic) that MBAM doesn't scan (layman's terms) data files in scans.  i.e. txt, doc, pdf etc - It only scans those with real time protection.  Does that mean it will only verify these are virus free if opened?  I'm having problems on a PC - brand new hard drives in RAID 1, clean Windows 10 install, all oem software installs.  The only thing ported over were my data files.  PC worked great for 10 days, now starting to have same random problems.  I'd like to be able to scan ALL files.  Is there a way to do that?

THanks!!

Hi,     @canvasinc       :welcome:

My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.

Let me know what first name you prefer to go by.

Please follow my directions as we go along.   Please only just attach   all report files, etc  that I ask for as we go along.

You mentioned you just did a clean new install of Windows 10.  Is that showing as Build 1909 ?

You can use the built-in Microsoft Antivirus which is Windows Defender to scan the whole C drive.  A good way to do that is by using its Offline scan option.

Click the Windows Start menu button on the Taskbar, select Settings icon. Then choose Update and Security.

In Windows Settings  >>> click on Windows Security from the left side list.

Next, In Windows Security section:  Click on the grey button Open Windows Security

Now, click on the shield Virus and threat protection

next click on the blue Scan options

image.png.8663561da0f43fece2117a1bf2d81796.png

Look down the options list.  Tick on Microsoft Defender Offline scan.  

image.thumb.png.afaa2bfb3486b8c952ab6d00feb1f38d.png

Then next,  click the grey "Scan now" button.

and let it scan the system.

When it reboots the system, please just login with your regular login-account.

Have patience during the scan run.

Keep in mind that the design and what is scanned by Windows Defender is a whole different design from Malwarebytes. But do let me know how this scan goes and what the result is.

You did not make mention if the pc has Malwarebytes Premium.  If it does, please know that Malwarebytes Premium  has multiple real-time protections to guard against the most common current threats.  It has multiple layers of protection.

But it is not a standard antivirus.  It can be a replacement for it.  But it is not a antivirus in the common sense.

Use the Windows Defender IF you are thinking the pc may have a actual virus.

Later on, if needed, we can run other scans to further check this pc.

and by the way, if you still suspect a virus or malware infection, you can go back and do a FULL Scan with Windows Defender.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Good morning.

I hope you are doing well.  I would like to remark, that you can also do a Full scan with the Windows Defender.   See the reply, notes, and images in my earlier reply

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/257879-id-like-to-be-able-to-scan-all-files-canvasinc/?do=findComment&comment=1368965

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,

Maurice

Hi.  I am glad to know the Offline scan completed.  Windows Defender does not make one single easy to find "report".

But by going thru the Windows Security options  ( in Windows 10 Settings)  you can locate summaries for the latest Windows Defender scan (s).  And if anything was flagged, you would see the detail.

And it is by date.   Here is a written how-to along with some handy images.

From the Start menu, select Settings, then select Update and Security.

Next, look at the left-side menu & select Windows Security

image.png.19167bf68c4b0d4f040a4914a0bf58b2.png

Next, In Windows Security section:  Click on the grey button Open Windows Security

.image.png.4684c464ba8e428a76052fbc331d52b9.png

Now, click on the shield Virus and threat protection

By the way, when you see a green check-mark on your display, it means a good status  and that  protection is on.

image.png.9108e069f26aef6f1dae06c50e79bbd4.png

On the next display,  look at all the options.   Look down the list and see "Check for Updates" which I have highlighted with a blue icon.

You can click on that to have the system check for updates for Windows Defender.

Please also note that the Scan options (all) can be displayed by clicking on Scan options.  ( You can do Quick, Full, or Custom).

image.png.08aa01c3241dc8698a4930b32284f88c.png

When you get to this section, notice what it says about "current threats"  on your system.   

image.png.5c7e219ad58ee0415fd8a38779817278.png

Does yours show 0 threats?   and "no current threats".

Also in this same section, please notice the blue line marked "Protection history"    and click on that to see more details.

image.png.9bdf716f57dcc0d0d888fe27287968ca.png

You will see details like these.

image.png.f36affbe75d69799197247ce86094379.png

Then look at each none of the recently listed scan runs.   The most recent should be on top.

Look on the far-left blue icon   ( whether a shield icon or a frame icon)  and click on the blue icon.  You will then see details about the Windows Defender "classification" of the item  and where it is located.

If you have further questions on this or Windows Defender, let me know.

You may consider getting and running a free on-demand scanner from ESET that will scan the whole system  ( all drives).   Just be aware that this scan may take several hours depending  on how may files are on this pc.

I would suggest a free scan with the ESET Online Scanner
Go to https://www.eset.com/us/home/online-scanner/

Look on the right side of the page.  Click Scan Now
It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner_enu.exe"
Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.

Go to the saved file, and double click it to get it started.
When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".

Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes

When prompted for scan type, Click on Full scan
Look at & un-tick   the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"   and click on Start scan button.

Have patience.  The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.
There is a progress window display.
You should ignore all prompts to get the ESET antivirus software program.   ( e.g.  their standard program).   You do not need to buy or get or install anything else.

When the scan is completed, if something was found, it will show a screen with the number of detected items.  If so, click the button marked “View detected results”.

Click The blue “Save scan log” to save the log.

If something was removed and you know it is a false finding, you may click on the blue ”Restore cleaned files”  ( in blue, at bottom).

Press Continue when all done.  You should click to off the offer for “periodic scanning”.

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks