Jared_jaz

Keep loosing admin on Windows after multiple re-installs

Hi I am receiving this error when i try and update a user

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.1098]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>net user Fixer My$NewPassword2
The user name could not be found.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2221.

Alright, Thank you for your help. I have run the FRST scan after the Malwarebytes Support Tool

FRST.txtAddition.txtmbst-fix-results.txt

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Jared_jaz said:

Hi I am receiving this error when i try and update a user

C:\Windows\system32>net user Fixer My$NewPassword2
The user name could not be found.

That is not the full command I gave you to use.

Here is an example on my system using the full command I provided you.

C:\>net user Fixer  My$NewPassword2  /add
The password entered is longer than 14 characters.  Computers
with Windows prior to Windows 2000 will not be able to use
this account. Do you want to continue this operation? (Y/N) [Y]: y
The command completed successfully.

C:\>net localgroup administrators Fixer /add

Then to delete the account from the command line you can use the following method.

C:\>net user Fixer /delete

Give me a few to review your logs. Will probably reply tomorrow as it's getting late again for me.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information

Oops sorry, was tired my self when I did this and missed they command. I have done the steps and they worked fine

thanks

Please click on Start and type in "Check for updates" and click that and show me a screenshot please. The logs look good at this point aside from some junk we've already fixed.

Here is mine

image.png

Also a screenshot from clicking Start and typing in WINVER and running that.

image.png

Thank you again

Click on Start and type in "advanced settings" and make sure that Remote Desktop Connections are disabled.

image.png

1. Go to Start, then Settings.

2. Click Privacy, the icon that looks like a padlock.

Turn these all off.

image.png

Then on the left side pane click on Location and set it to the following

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png.8480ef6fef6bf25bd0c5e7fdc7c542c1.png

image.png.c58879c919c156ff74de7d7f41365b17.png

image.png.77646308cbecced0059d7aa79428dddb.png

I have just done the latest update and it has asked me should i overwrite

image.png.ec48e4884225550f5953d71e1bfa3890.png

Yes i have got a 64GB USB i can use, this has now poped up on its own. i have been away from my computer for the last hour

You can leave Allow Remote Assistance enabled. That is not the same as Remote Desktop. It's a built-in feature that allows you to reach out and seek assistance via an encrypted session.

Please go ahead and restart. Let me know if anything else pops up. If all seems good then please take a snapshot image backup of the c:\ volume so that in case anything goes wrong you can restore 100% to the current state. This requires 3rd party backup software. Do not trust the built-in Windows backup.

alright i will go ahead and restart and then get the rest of the screen shots for you

Looks good. Please go ahead and back up the system now and let me know if there are any other issues.

With it successfully backed up you can then selectively start to install the applications you want to use on the system. Prior to installing any applications that have been downloaded from the Web please upload the installer to https://www.virustotal.com and allow them to scan the program for any type of possible infection or PUP (Possibly Unwanted Programs)

I will once again provide you the following recommendations. Please take some time to read, review, and watch at least a couple of the videos to help you better understand how to protect your privacy and data.

If you're not backing up your data and you're still using Google Chrome then you're just not serious about Privacy, Safety, and protecting your data. Malwarebytes is a fantastic program but you still need to back up your data and you still need to block scripts and Ads in your browser. 
If you're still using Google Chrome I would highly suggest you consider using Firefox instead. For more advanced users you might consider installing NoScript as well (it does have a higher learning curve though)

PrivacyTools - Encryption, and tools to protect against global mass surveillance - https://www.privacytools.io

Help Secure your browsers

You may be interested in using our new Malwarebytes Browser Guard to help protect your browser from items that uBlock or others don't target.

Please install uBlock Origin for your browsers to better protect your system.

FireFox, ChromeOpera , SafariMicrosoft Edge
AdBlock Plus for Internet Explorer

How to use uBlock Origin to protect your online privacy and security | uBlock Origin tutorial 2018
This video tutorial above explains how to use uBlock Origin in advanced user mode and all the advanced settings to protect your online privacy and help prevent unwanted sites from changing your browser settings

Delete Cookies Automatically

Cookie AutoDelete plugin
Chrome  | Firefox 

Browser push notifications: a feature asking to be abused
HTTPS Everywhere
NOTHING TO HIDE documentary

Review your email and Office choices

Quit Gmail for free encrypted email - Tutanota
Why ProtonMail Is More Secure Than Gmail
LibreOffice - Free and open source office suite

Use Password Management software

Bitwarden
KeePass Password Safe

Make sure you use a strong master password
Then set the key transformation settings (the link below helps provide information on how to choose good settings)
https://pthree.org/2016/06/29/further-investigation-into-scrypt-and-argon2-password-hashing
KeePass Password Manager: Full Detailed Setup (good YouTube video on setup and using Keepass but choose the Argon2 method for Key transformation)

Encrypted Instant Messenger and Voice Calls

Please review the following site for a breakdown of features of different Messenger applications.

SafeSwiss
Riot
Signal
Wire     
NOTE: Recent news of Wire having new investors and moving to the United States.
Wickr Me

Follow-up Reading

Everything you need to know about cybercrime
10 easy ways to prevent malware infection 
Keep your data backed up

Thank you for choosing Malwarebytes as your preferred security protection software and tell your friends and family too. We're here to help.

Keep me posted or let me know if you have any specific questions or issues.

Excellent, thank you for helping with this. I am going over the reading now and will create a restore. i would like to restore my bios back so im no longer on legacy boot, and i was hoping we could check over my samsung and partners Iphone, should i create a post in the IOS/Android channels for that?

On 4/1/2020 at 5:07 AM, AdvancedSetup said:

Please run the following.

Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed

Next, please try disabling Cylance and Malwarebytes both and see if you can get Windows Defender to update and operate properly.

Windows Defender:
===================================
Date: 2020-03-27 09:20:21.845
Description: 
Windows Defender Antivirus has encountered an error trying to update signatures.
New Signature Version: 
Previous Signature Version: 1.273.933.0
Update Source: Microsoft Malware Protection Center
Signature Type: AntiVirus
Update Type: Full
Current Engine Version: 
Previous Engine Version: 1.1.15100.1
Error code: 0x80072ee7
Error description: The server name or address could not be resolved 

Notice the bottom:  The server name or address could not be resolved.

Something is / was preventing normal DNS lookup to find the Microsoft website for Defender updates

Sorry was pretty tired yesterday, just going back over this and somehow i missed this step. i am running the tool now and it is asking me if i am trying to uninstall or install a program, since I'm not trying to do ether im not sure what one to choose.

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following for Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you