Infected with Glupteba

LDR

Hi,  @LDR

My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.

Let me know what first name you prefer to go by.

Please follow my directions as we go along.  Please do not do any changes on your own without first checking with me.

If you will be away for more than 3 consecutive days,  do try to let me know ahead of time, as much as possible.

Please only just attach   all report files, etc  that I ask for as we go along.

I am going to put quite a bit of info here & some procedure & a request for new information collection.  So do not be overwhelmed.  We will take one thing at a time.

I see you had run MBAR, so eventually I want to see the actual log-report-file

I see that you did manage to do a new install for Malwarebytes for Windows.

[   1  ]

See this information article on the Malwarebytes Blog about Trojan.Glupteba

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/detections/trojan-glupteba/

You have MB4 installed so ignore the latter parts of article about installation.

[   2   ]

Run a new, special scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.
Start Malwarebytes from the Windows  Start menu.

Click Settings ( gear icon)   at the top right of Malwarebytes window.   We want to see the SETTINGS window.

Then click the SECURITY  tab.
Scroll down and lets be sure the line in SCAN OPTIONs for "Scan for rootkits" is ON
Click it to get it ON  if it does not show a blue-color

Now click the small X  to get back to the main menu window.

Click the SCAN button.
Select a Threat Scan ( which should be the default).

When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.

Then click on Quarantine selected.

Be sure all items were removed. Then too, Repeat the scan one more time. It does not take long.

and again, be sure all detected items are removed.

[   3   ]

I would appreciate  getting fresh  key details from this machine in order to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Do have patience while the report tool runs.  It may take several minutes.  Just let it run & take its time.  You may want to close your other open windows so that there is a clear field of view.

This pc has the support tool named mb-support-1.5.4.760.exe    in the Downloads folder.

Go to  Downloads folder
    Double-click mb-support-1.5.4.760.exe  to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Please know I help here as a volunteer.  and that I am not on 24 x 7.   Help on this forum is one to one.  

Mini-cleanup of un-needed & obsoleted tools.   I noticed a few old tools on this pc & some partial / incompleted downloads. 

In the Downloads .....Delete  mb-clean-3.1.0.1035.exe

delete mb-support-1.5.4.760(1).exe.part

delete mb4-setup-consumer-4.1.0.119-1.0.835-1.0.20110.exe.part

Do not run tools on your own.  I see what looks like a recent download of Spyhunter.

I see the likely use of Adwcleaner.   I encourage patience & just following my quidance.  Do not go off on your own doing self-fixes.

If you have questions, ask me first.

Thank you,

Sincerely.

Good morning.

Thanks for relaying the Support tool zip report.   The next-to-last scan with Malwarebytes for Windows had removed elements of Trojan.Glupteba

Let's go ahead and do these next 2 procedures.

[  1   ]

Run a scan with Malwarebytes.

Click Settings ( gear icon)   at the top right of Malwarebytes window.   We want to see the SETTINGS window.

Scroll down and lets be sure the line in SCAN OPTIONs for "Scan for rootkits" is ON

Click the SCAN button.

When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.

Be sure all items were removed. Then too, Repeat the scan one more time. It does not take long.

and again, be sure all detected items are removed.

Let it remove what it has detected.

Then, locate the Scan run report;  export out a copy;  & then attach in with your  reply.

See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

[   2   ]

I  would suggest to download, Save, and then run Malwarebytes ADWCLEANER.

Please close Chrome and all other open web browsers after you have saved the Adwcleaner and before you start Adwcleaner scan.

Adwcleaner  detects factory Preinstalled applications too!

Please download  Malwarebytes AdwCleaner  https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner

Be sure to Save the file first, to your system.  Saving to the Downloads folder should be the default on your system.

Go to the folder where you saved Adwcleaner. Double click Adwcleaner  to start it.

At the prompt for license agreement, review and then click on I agree.

You will then see a main screen for Adwcleaner. ( if you do not see it right away, minimized the other open windows, so you can see Adwcleaner).

Then click on Dashboard button.

Click the blue button "Scan Now".

allow it a few minutes to finish the Scan.   Let it remove what it finds.

NOTE:  When it comes to the section "

Pre-installed applications

You can skip that.

Please find and send the Adwcleaner "C" clean report.

In Adwcleaner, click the "Reports" button.  Look at the list of reports for the latest date & type "Clean".

Double Click that line & it will open in Notepad.   Save the file to your system and then Attach that with your reply.

That C clean report will be the one with the most recent Date and time at folder  C:\AdwCleaner\Logs

Thanks.  Keep me advised.

Thank you for the reports.  Those are good runs, especially the Adwcleaner.  The Glupteba  malware is gone.

Let's do a different scan & see about a different opinion.

I would suggest a free scan with the ESET Online Scanner
Go to https://www.eset.com/us/home/online-scanner/

Look on the right side of the page.  Click Scan Now
It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner_enu.exe"
Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.

Go to the saved file, and double click it to get it started.
When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".

Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes

When prompted for scan type, Click on Full scan
Look at & un-tick   the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"   and click on Start scan button.

Have patience.  The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.
There is a progress window display.
You should ignore all prompts to get the ESET antivirus software program.   ( e.g.  their standard program).   You do not need to buy or get or install anything else.

When the scan is completed, if something was found, it will show a screen with the number of detected items.  If so, click the button marked “View detected results”.

Click The blue “Save scan log” to save the log.

If something was removed and you know it is a false finding, you may click on the blue ”Restore cleaned files”  ( in blue, at bottom).

Press Continue when all done.  You should click to off the offer for “periodic scanning”.

Just 2 items tagged by the ESET.  The 2 are apparently classified as Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Google.D

Bundled toolbars Avast.   They are classified as potential unwanted add-ons.

Thanks for the report.

How is the situation on the computer now ?

Please do a new Scan on this machine, using Malwarebytes for Windows.

To run a Threat Scan, open Malwarebytes for Windows and click the blue Scan button.

Have patience during the run.

Then, locate the Scan run report;  export out a copy;  & then attach in with your  reply.

See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

Hi.   Thanks for the reports.  Sorry to read of the ongoing issue.

I am attaching a ZIP file named REMOVEGL.zip

Save that to either the Downloads folder, or else, to the Desktop.

Next, extract 1 file from it.   The name of this file is REMOVEGL.txt

Once extracted, go to where it is extracted-to.

Using the mouse, do a RIGHT-click on Removegl.txt  and Rename it to Removegl.bat

Next,  Using the mouse, do a RIGHT-click on Removegl.bat  and select RUN AS Administrator

Reply YES to allow Windows to let it run.

This command-script should run rather quickly.  When done, it will create a file named Output.txt  on the Desktop.

Please attach a copy of Output.txt  with your next reply.

We will do more later on.

Cheers.

REMOVEGL.zip

Thank you.

Run a new   scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.

Click the SCAN button.

Hello Lawrence.

Thank you for the scan report from Malwarebytes for Windows.  That scan is all good.  No malware & no P U P.

This Windows system has Bitdefender Antivirus

Let me suggest that you do a scan with BitDefender.    Let me know the result.

Cheers.

Hi Lawrence,

I am glad to know that Avast reports no infection.

Is there anything that you need at this point ?

Let me suggest these measures to tighten up all the web browsers on this Windows system.

See this article on our Malwarebytes Blog
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

You want to disable the ability of each web browser on this machine from being able to allow "push ads". That means Chrome, Firefox, or Edge browser (on Windows 10), or on Opera.

Scroll down to the tips section "How do I disable them".

If this pc has the Google Chrome browser, or the Brave browser, I suggest you install the Malwarebytes Browser guard for Chrome.

To get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension for Chrome,

Open this link in your Chrome   browser: 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/malwarebytes/ihcjicgdanjaechkgeegckofjjedodee

Then proceed with the setup.

If the pc has Mozilla Firefox, to get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard  Firefox extension.

Open this link in your Firefox browser:   

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/malwarebytes/

Then proceed with the setup.

That link is for English US.   There are other language version.  Just go to the very bottom right of the page and look at “Change language” list drop down.

Hi Lawrence.
We can cleanup the tools that I had you use.   

Find the FRSTENGLISH.exe  on the Downloads  folder
Do a RIGHT-click on FRSTENGLISH.exe & select RENAME & then change it to UNINSTALL.exe.
Then run that ( double click on it)  to begin the cleanup process.

Find the FRST64.exe  on the Downloads  folder
Do a RIGHT-click on FRST64.exe & select RENAME & then change it to UNINSTALL.exe.
Then run that ( double click on it)  to begin the cleanup process.

Delete FRST64(1).exe   on the Downloads folder
also delete mb-support-1.5.4.760.exe
Delete esetonlinescanner_enu.exe
Delete Removegl.bat  + Removegl.zip

Delete mbst-grab-results.zip on the Desktop
You can delete  MBAR.exe  on the Desktop 
Delete the folder mbar  in the Desktop

On Downloads folder, delete these ( unneeded ) files
MBSetup(2).exe
MBSetup(1).exe
mb-clean-3.1.0.1035.exe   ( if there )

You may delete any other tool / file that I had you download.

We can wrap up this case.  I am glad to have helped you.

The first best practice of computer safety is to have backups of the system.  Make regular periodic backups to offline removable media.

Backup is your best friend.

It is not enough to just have a security program installed. Each pc user needs to practice daily safe computer and internet use.

Best  practices & malware prevention:
Follow best practices when browsing the Internet, especially on opening links coming from untrusted sources.
First rule of internet safety: slow down & think before you "click".

Never click links without first hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if it is going to an odd address ( one that does not fit or is odd looking or has typos).

Free games & free programs are like "candy". We do not accept them from "strangers".

Never open attachments that come with unexpected ( out of the blue ) email no matter how enticing.
Never open attachments from the email itself. Do not double click in the email. Always Save first and then scan with antivirus program.

Pay close attention when installing 3rd-party programs. It is important that you pay attention to the license agreements and installation screens when installing anything off of the Internet. If an installation screen offers you Custom or Advanced installation options, it is a good idea to select these as they will typically disclose what other 3rd party software will also be installed.
Take great care in every stage of the process and every offer screen, and make sure you know what it is you're agreeing to before you click "Next".

Use a Standard user account rather than an administrator-rights account when "surfing" the web.
See more info on Corrine's SecurityGarden Blog http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_7.html
Dont remove your current login. Just use the new Standard-user-level one for everyday use while on the internet.

Do a Windows Update.

Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

For other added tips, read "10 easy ways to prevent malware infection"

All the best to you.