Please help me to remove this Sality Trojan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do you get the 2.5 TB figure to download ?

But you will need a clean computer  ( not this one)   & a new 8 GB  USB-flash-thumb drive to use to make a Microsoft Media Creation tool   to be used in rebuilding Windows 10 from scratch.

NO, you cannot just delete EXE files.

The real concern is that this Windows system installation is compromised by the infection.

I have high reservations about what is on the D & F drives.  For example, having noticed a lot of games there that happened to be mentioned in some of the scans that were run. I question there security, especially if they were downloaded from dodgy or questionable sites, or even from torrent sites.

There is a very good way to do a clean & new  ( and keeping NO programs or files ) way to rebuild Windows 10.

It is using the Microsoft Media creation tool.   You will need a USB-thumb-flash drive of 8 GB.   That USB you will setup the Media Creation tool on  & it will have the real Windows 10 from Microsoft.

Just go slow  / go careful / take your time / no rush.

There is a good guide at Tenforums

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

The intended section to follow is section 6    which is titled To do a repair install of Windows 10 with Media Creation Tool

Study that real well.   Follow that section 6 real close.

The object at this time is to rebuild Windows 10  as new    AND  "to keep  NO personal files or  apps"

I think most of the scans that had my games in it were just trainers, and I already deleted all of them. but yeah I will install a clean windows, thank you so much for helping me. this is the best forum that I've ever seen ngl. you can close this topic if you want. ❤️ 

Please just make replies on this forum thread.

Let the install run for as long as it takes.  Leave this alone  and allow it to go on its own.   It may take several hours before it makes some movement on the screen.

Give it at least 2 to 3 hours.

If after that, it still is stuck,  then we can consider different way.

On the presumption  that the new / clean install of Windows 10 completes & is a success:

I would urge you to follow these things next.   Just please do not play any games , either those from this machine, or online.

Do not do any downloads of any sort, except for what I list below.   Do not do any shopping, banking either until we are all done.

Here are the things I suggest in order.

[  1  ]

Scan with the Windows 10 Microsoft Antivirus.

Windows 10 has the Microsoft Windows Defender which can run the Windows Defender Offline scan.
Windows Defender Offline in Windows 10 can be run directly from within Windows.

Click the Windows Start menu button on the Taskbar, select Settings icon. Then choose Update and Security.

In Windows Settings  >>> click on Windows Security from the left side list.

Next, In Windows Security section:  Click on the grey button Open Windows Security

next click on the blue Scan options

Look down the options list.  Tick on Windows Defender Offline scan.   Then click the grey "Scan now" button.

and let it scan the system.

When it reboots the system, please just login with your regular login-account.

Have patience during the scan run.

Keep in mind that the design and what is scanned by Windows Defender is a whole different design from Malwarebytes. But do let me know how this scan goes and what the result is.

[    2  ]

Since the machine's Windows 10 is a new setup, you will need to do a new install of Malwarebytes for Windows.

Use this setup guide   https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479134-Download-and-install-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

[  3   ]

Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, lets make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows Security Center 

Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to 

"Windows Security Center"

Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".

This will insure that the Microsoft Antivirus ( Windows Defender ) is still enabled.

[    4    ]

If this pc has the Google Chrome browser, or the Brave browser, I suggest you install the Malwarebytes Browser guard for Chrome.

To get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension for Chrome,

Open this link in your Chrome   browser: 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/malwarebytes/ihcjicgdanjaechkgeegckofjjedodee

Then proceed with the setup.

If the pc has Mozilla Firefox, to get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard  Firefox extension.

Open this link in your Firefox browser:   

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/malwarebytes/

Then proceed with the setup.

That link is for English US.   There are other language version.  Just go to the very bottom right of the page and look at “Change language” list drop down.

[   5   ]

I would urge you to get a Premium license for Malwarebytes.  This pc needs its real-time protections to stay safe.

You can get a license with multiple seats so you can have Premium on Windows, Android, Chromebook, Mac OS X   ( if you have one or more of those).

The Trial of Malwarebytes for Windows ( with the trial's Premium mode) is only for 14 days.

All this presumes a successful Windows 10 install.   Keep me advised.

I have other best practices tips for later.

Everything is fine now, I scanned with ESET online, Malwarebytes, Kaspersky, MSRT, and no detections were found at all, and I also downloaded the malwarebytes chrome extention, but I can't afford the premium license so I'll just stick to on-demand scanning

Backup is your best friend.  Be sure you have an external backup device  ( like large USB-based backup drive made by Western Digital or others)  and do a backup now ( very soon) of this machine.   Keep 2 or 3 generations of backups if at all possible.

You must tighten up on safety and best practices.

Backup is your best friend.

It is not enough to just have a security program installed. Each pc user needs to practice daily safe computer and internet use.

Best  practices & malware prevention:
Follow best practices when browsing the Internet, especially on opening links coming from untrusted sources.
First rule of internet safety: slow down & think before you "click".

Never click links without first hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if it is going to an odd address ( one that does not fit or is odd looking or has typos).

Free games & free programs are like "candy". We do not accept them from "strangers".

Never open attachments that come with unexpected ( out of the blue ) email no matter how enticing.
Never open attachments from the email itself. Do not double click in the email. Always Save first and then scan with antivirus program.

Pay close attention when installing 3rd-party programs. It is important that you pay attention to the license agreements and installation screens when installing anything off of the Internet. If an installation screen offers you Custom or Advanced installation options, it is a good idea to select these as they will typically disclose what other 3rd party software will also be installed.
Take great care in every stage of the process and every offer screen, and make sure you know what it is you're agreeing to before you click "Next".

Use a Standard user account rather than an administrator-rights account when "surfing" the web.
See more info on Corrine's SecurityGarden Blog http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_7.html
Dont remove your current login. Just use the new Standard-user-level one for everyday use while on the internet.

Do a Windows Update.

Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

For other added tips, read "10 easy ways to prevent malware infection"

Let me know in case you have other questions.   As to the USB with the Media Creation Tool, you should set it aside & keep it safe.  This tool may be useful in case Windows has startup failures   ( which I hope never happens ).