MBAM - Backdoor.Bot & Microsoft Downloads

Early this morning a co-worker downloaded a device emulator from microsoft's website, and his laptop immediately came to a halt following a subsequent MBAM protection prompt advising detection of backdoor.bot in the msi package attempting to execute.

He called me over the phone for suggestions (I was on my way out) and I told him submit the file for testing (can't do - it's over 700MB). . .or post a log in the help section of the forum.

. . .Is something wrong with msi packages from microsoft web pages that seemingly cause fp's or something relative? He swears up and down that this is not the first time a microsoft download was flagged by MBAM.

Any thoughts?

some further. . .

File was executed from boot, and error message 'MBAM service was terminated unexpectedly' was returned after he hit ignore detection. Windows installer would not uninstall or even initiate an uninstall process. We're gonna attempt to reproduce the scenario with vm sometime this weekend, I'm curious why MBAM would terminate arbitrarily.

Any more questions please feel free. . .

Current status - HDD image restored to pre-detection state.

Thank you kindly.