Munesdon.top

I have installed Malwarebytes and daily when I am on the computer get the warning at least once if not more often:  

Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com

-Log Details-
Protection Event Date: 3/9/20
Protection Event Time: 4:21 PM
Log File: 86b41636-6243-11ea-8563-f8bc126301a3.json

-Software Information-
Version: 4.0.4.49
Components Version: 1.0.823
Update Package Version: 1.0.20452
License: Premium

-System Information-
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: System

-Blocked Website Details-
Malicious Website: 1
, C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msiexec.exe, Blocked, -1, -1, 0.0.0

-Website Data-
Category: Trojan
Domain: munesdon.top
IP Address: 146.0.72.74
Port: 80
Type: Outbound
File: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msiexec.exe

Does this mean that my computer is still infected.  If so, what do I need to do next.  

Hi, 

My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.

Let me know what first name you prefer to go by.

Please follow my directions as we go along.  Please do not do any changes on your own without first checking with me.

Please only just attach   all report files, etc  that I ask for as we go along.

The block notice is a courtesy one.  It is not meant to be a indicator as to whether there  is "infection".  It is just a report that the web protection is keeping the machine from harm.

You wrote that the pc has Malwarebytes for Windows installed.  So you do not need to download its setup file.

Please do a new Scan with Malwarebytes for Windows and  provide a copy of that Scan report;   and also get & run the Farbar FRST report as listed at this pinned topic

BE sure you save the FRST exe file to the Downloads folder ( first )  before running it.

NOTE:

The Block notices from Malwarebytes web protection do mean that Malwarebytes is keeping your pc safe from potential harm.

A block notice is an advisory of the "block".

For Your Information:

The website  Block message indicates that a potential risk was blocked by the malicious website protection. 

The Malwarebytes web protection, by default, will always show each IP block occurrence.

The Malwarebytes Webs protection feature will advise customers when a known or suspected malicious IP is attempted to be reached (outgoing) or is trying access your PC.

See our info page https://www.malwarebytes.com/lp/ip-blocking/?ipblock=true

Incoming block notice can be ignored, our software is blocking the threat and there is nothing more that can be done.

On Outbound blocks, any attempted connection was stopped.

Hi Debby.   Thank you for the reports.  I do notice that the scan by Malwarebytes for Windows reports no malware present.

As I mentioned, the web protection is keeping the pc safe from harm.

The block is on munesdon.top.   Matter of fact the entire .TOP domain is blocked by the program.

The goal at this point is to see what may be referring to munesdon.top

There are 2 things to do listed here.   The first one will be doing a batch command window steps using the FRST64 tools.

It will do a System File Checker ( SFC )  run, and do a integrity check on current install of Windows, and do some cleanups, which include removing 5 .BAT files that do not belong plus are exhibiting locations similar to what some malware are known to use.

[   1   ]

Please Close and Save any open work you may have open.

Please close as many un-needed app-windows that you yourself may have open at this point.   So you can have a clear field of view.

This custom script is for  dlc8801    only / for this machine only.

Close and save any open work files before starting this procedure. 

Please Close and save any open work files before you start this next step.  It will involve a Windows Restart at the end of it.

I am sending a   custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRST64 tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE  link AS and save it directly ( as is) to the  Desktop

The tool named FRST64.exe   tool    is already on the Desktop folder

Go to the Desktop folder.

RIGHT click on  FRST64    and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.

to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.

IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen

and click button Run anyway on next screen.

on the FRST window:
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

image.png.55f235c20424d614695aa861e96896bf.png

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. This run here should be fairly quick.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   but  Keep going forward  with next step.

[    2    ]

I  would suggest to download, Save, and then run Malwarebytes ADWCLEANER.

Please close Chrome and all other open web browsers after you have saved the Adwcleaner and before you start Adwcleaner scan.

Adwcleaner  detects factory Preinstalled applications too!

Please download  Malwarebytes AdwCleaner  https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner

Be sure to Save the file first, to your system.  Saving to the Downloads folder should be the default on your system.

Go to the folder where you saved Adwcleaner. Double click Adwcleaner  to start it.

At the prompt for license agreement, review and then click on I agree.

You will then see a main screen for Adwcleaner. ( if you do not see it right away, minimized the other open windows, so you can see Adwcleaner).

Then click on Dashboard button.

Click the blue button "Scan Now".

allow it a few minutes to finish the Scan.   Let it remove what it finds.

NOTE:  When it comes to the section "

Pre-installed applications

You can skip that.

Please find and send the Adwcleaner "C" clean report.

In Adwcleaner, click the "Reports" button.  Look at the list of reports for the latest date & type "Clean".

Double Click that line & it will open in Notepad.   Save the file to your system and then Attach that with your reply.

That C clean report will be the one with the most recent Date and time at folder  C:\AdwCleaner\Logs

Thanks.  Keep me advised.   and thank you for your patience.

We will do more later.

Fixlist.txt

Hi Debby.  Thanks for the reports.  The custom script went as intended.  The Adwcleaner found and removed several adwares.

So,  How are things at this point ?   & do you see any block notices for munesdon.top ?

Let me suggest that you do 2 new scans.

[  1  ]

Run a scan with Malwarebytes.
Start Malwarebytes from the Windows  Start menu.

Click Settings ( gear icon)   at the top right of Malwarebytes window.   We want to see the SETTINGS window.

Then click the SECURITY  tab.
Scroll down and lets be sure the line in SCAN OPTIONs for "Scan for rootkits" is ON
Click it to get it ON  if it does not show a blue-color

Now click the small X  to get back to the main menu window.

Click the SCAN button.
Select a Threat Scan ( which should be the default).

When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.

Then click on Quarantine selected.

Be sure all items were removed.   Let it remove what it has detected.

[   2   ]

I would suggest a free scan with the ESET Online Scanner
Go to https://www.eset.com/us/home/online-scanner/

Look on the right side of the page.  Click Scan Now
It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner_enu.exe"
Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.

Go to the saved file, and double click it to get it started.
When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".

Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes

When prompted for scan type, Click on Full scan
Look at & un-tick   the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"   and click on Start scan button.

Have patience.  The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.
There is a progress window display.
You should ignore all prompts to get the ESET antivirus software program.   ( e.g.  their standard program).   You do not need to buy or get or install anything else.

When the scan is completed, if something was found, it will show a screen with the number of detected items.  If so, click the button marked “View detected results”.

Click The blue “Save scan log” to save the log.

If something was removed and you know it is a false finding, you may click on the blue ”Restore cleaned files”  ( in blue, at bottom).

Press Continue when all done.  You should click to off the offer for “periodic scanning”.

Hi Debby.   Good to know that there have not been any further web protection Block notices.   and thanks for the scan reports.

The Malwarebytes for Windows scan reports no malware.

I am a bit concerned that Eset found 1 DLL file  ( though now removed)  that it classified as Win32/Kryptik.HBXB trojan

That happened to be in a sub-folder that is very suspicious.   Lets see about doing one special deletion

Open an elevated command prompt window,  i.e. run Command Prompt as an administrator .

It is best to use the Windows Copy ( CTRL+ C )  and paste  ( CTRL+V )  for the whole line, as-is

To Get the elevated command prompt, press Windows-key + X key  and then selected Command prompt ( Admin )

On that command prompt,  Copy & Paste this command

rmdir /Q /S C:\Users\Liz\AppData\Roaming\Hyyfhe

and tap Enter-key to have it proceed.   Watch the run.   Close the command prompt window when done.

[   2    ]

Now, lets do a new scan.   

The Microsoft Safety Scanner  is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that  can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system.

The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Let me know the result of this.

The log is named MSERT.log 

the log will be at  %SYSTEMROOT%\debug\msert.log   which in most cases is

C:\Windows\debug\msert.log

Please attach that log with your reply.

[   3   ]

Kaspersky antivirus scanner

See about  downloading and running the Kaspersky antivirus scanner to remove any found threats

Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool

Save the KVRT.exe file to the Downloads folder.   Once the download completes,   you can then run the file.

There is a guide on how to run KVRT Kaspersky tool    https://support.kaspersky.com/8528

Let me know all the results.   Let me know if you need anything else.

Sincerely.

I have completed all 3 steps and included the report.  The Kaspersky scan did not find any problems.  I can't attach the report because it is an ENC1 file  

When I completed the first step in Command Prompt.  It ran the 1st time.  When I repeated it, it said file not found which I assume is good because it removed it.  

msert.log

That is very good news.  You may consider, as needed, consider running the Microsoft Safety scanner as a second opinion check.

This pc has Premium Malwarebytes for Windows.  It has multiple real-time protections.

This pc runs on Windows 10, which has the Microsoft Windows Antivirus  ( Windows Defender ).   That you can use to do manual scans as needed.

Plus it has a scheduled scan set to run it.

At this time, let me suggest one adjustment.

Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, lets make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows Security Center 

Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to 

"Windows Security Center"

Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".

Let me know if you need anything else.

Sincerely.

Hi Debby,

To remove the FRST64 tool & its work files, do this.  Go to your DESKTOP.  Do a RIGHT-click on FRST64.exe & select RENAME & then change it to UNINSTALL.

Then run that ( double click on it)  to begin the cleanup process.

You may delete the ESET  download   "esetonlinescanner_enu.exe"

It is not enough to just have a security program installed. Each pc user needs to practice daily safe computer and internet use.

Best  practices & malware prevention:
Follow best practices when browsing the Internet, especially on opening links coming from untrusted sources.
First rule of internet safety: slow down & think before you "click".

Never click links without first hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if it is going to an odd address ( one that does not fit or is odd looking or has typos).

Free games & free programs are like "candy". We do not accept them from "strangers".

Never open attachments that come with unexpected ( out of the blue ) email no matter how enticing.
Never open attachments from the email itself. Do not double click in the email. Always Save first and then scan with antivirus program.

Pay close attention when installing 3rd-party programs. It is important that you pay attention to the license agreements and installation screens when installing anything off of the Internet. If an installation screen offers you Custom or Advanced installation options, it is a good idea to select these as they will typically disclose what other 3rd party software will also be installed.
Take great care in every stage of the process and every offer screen, and make sure you know what it is you're agreeing to before you click "Next".

Use a Standard user account rather than an administrator-rights account when "surfing" the web.
See more info on Corrine's SecurityGarden Blog http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_7.html
Dont remove your current login. Just use the new Standard-user-level one for everyday use while on the internet.

Do a Windows Update.

Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

For other added tips, read "10 easy ways to prevent malware infection"

I wish you all the best.   Stay safe.

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks