mochicuddles

Is email for free Malware Dark mode legit

I received an email from Malwarebytes for a free download for Dark mode 4.1 but am leery of any emails with download buttons.  Is this legit?  I'm afraid of downloading even if email says it's from Malwarebytes since crooks are good at disguises

Posted (edited)

I can't tell you for sure about the email, but the recent update did indeed contain a dark mode switch. (I've already turned it on).

So the email is probably genuine.

But to be sure-

Open your Malwarebytes, go to settings, and check for updates.

After updating go to settings again to select the darkmode (if you want it).

Edited by nukecad

1 hour ago, mochicuddles said:

Dark mode 4.1

Enable dark mode below.

Dark Mode MB.png

Thank you very much for the information.  The email I received looked like the Dark mode in your description.   I will follow your instructions.  

I tried to follow the instructions and I can't even open up the Malware program to reach settings.  I was able yesterday but not today.  Do you know why.

20 minutes ago, mochicuddles said:

I tried to follow the instructions and I can't even open up the Malware program to reach settings.  I was able yesterday but not today.  Do you know why.

So did you do the upgrade to 4.1.0?

hi @mochicuddles    How do you usually start Malwarebytes ?   from the desktop shortcut ?   Look for the Malwarebytes shortcut on the Desktop and double click it.

and you can always start Malwarebytes from the Windows Start menu program list.

Posted (edited)

p.s.  About the issue of email legitimacy,  Look at the "From"  address of the email.   That is to say, look at the header of the email.   Emails from Malwarebytes generally should show ( similar to ) like something@malwarebytes.com   or sometimes, no-reply@malwarebytes.com

You can look for yourself on the email-at-hand   ( or any other email)  by looking at the email header on your Email-program-app

On Gmail   see  https://support.google.com/mail/answer/29436?hl=en

On Microsoft Outllook   see   https://support.office.com/en-us/article/view-internet-message-headers-in-outlook-cd039382-dc6e-4264-ac74-c048563d212c

On Yahoo email   see https://www.lifewire.com/see-headers-of-message-yahoo-1174546

It should be noted that Malwarebytes has always provided free program upgrades as each new version has been released.   Never a charge involved.

As to the dark mode, that comes with the latest program version too.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Yes, it's just a promotional campaign from Malwarebytes Marketing letting existing customers know about the new version and the awesome new Dark Mode theme that it includes (a feature many of us have been asking for/excited for).

I have all my email marketing preferences activated and i didn't get anything.

2 hours ago, Living_Computer said:

I have all my email marketing preferences activated and i didn't get anything.

They might be going to spam/junk.