sman

Critical Intel CPU flaw affects millions of laptops — and it's unpatchable

Thankfully it requires local/physical access to the system to exploit the vulnerability.  That at least means that for those of us who allow no one else access to our devices as well as taking additional measures to prevent any kind of remote access/remote login to the system by disabling all sharing, remote desktop/remote access/remote logon functions in the OS as well as closing/disabling any ports typically used by them that this particular vulnerability should be of little concern.

It is quite concerning for the countless servers running affected chips though, as they often do not fully disable such functions/features which may lead to a malicious user successfully logging into the server remotely and using this vulnerability to infect the server with some nasty persistent malware, potentially with the ability to do further damage by downloading and launching additional malware/exploits to attack the system with.

A concern for end users for safety of online transactions.

Sort of, the nature of this particular vulnerability doesn't really lend itself to executing man-in-the-middle attacks and DNS hijacks so the chances of it being useful for any sort of payment data theft are extremely remote if not outright impossible (a browser exploit or similar threat, either embedded directly in the payment page or taking the user to a site that looks legit but is actually a spoofed malicious site would be far more likely, neither of which would be any easier to accomplish using this vulnerability).

I am concerned about my intel chipset which has a possible flaw.  So far I have had no issues with my computer running Windows 10.  I have disabled all sharing and remote access. How do I know which ports to close?