Malware undetected

Hi

I think my Mac has a malware.

A few years ago, my Mac had some malware that Malwarebytes found and deleted.

I thought that Apple was reading my email, because I had an add from a small University that I’ve never browse. I've only send an email to a teacher of that university.

Somebody on the Apple forum told me that Apple do not read emails, and that I should check my Mac for malware. And, indeed there were 3.

Recently, I have seen the same kind of behavior, but Malwarebytes free version does not find anything.

If Malwarebytes free version does not find anything, does it mean that my Mac is clean?

Thank-you

30 minutes ago, Derome said:

If Malwarebytes free version does not find anything, does it mean that my Mac is clean?

Generally speaking, yes, although there is a slim possibility that an as yet unknown or very very old malware variety is resident there.

In actuality, malware is rarely responsible for the receipt of unsolicited email. It’s far more common that your email address was harvested due to a compromised server somewhere and sold to spammers. You can check for yourself at https://haveibeenpwned.com by simply entering all of the email addresses you suspect. That site is 100% safe, supported and used by most security experts and companies.

• 1 month later...

I have junkmail with an .iso attachment (fake UPS email) and VirusTotal shows three antivirus tools detected malware in it.

Malwarebytes (paid version) did not.  The "drag files here" does not accept the .iso filetype.

Is there an email address to which I can forward this problem?  I've tried sending it to "support@malwarebytes.com" just now

1 hour ago, hankroberts said:

Is there an email address to which I can forward this problem?

It should be uploaded to a special forum here designed just for that: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/193-newest-mac-threats/.

Posting the VirusTotal URL here would have allowed me to comment further, as well as given the Malwarebytes staff the ability to download it from there.

But in general, Malwarebytes for Mac only detects macOS malware, so if that .iso file targets a different platform (e.g. Windows or Unix) as the majority of attachments do, it won’t be and shouldn’t be detected. If it’s truly an .iso file then it’s a Windows image file.