Malwarebytes wiped my system files?

So I don’t know what I did

So I quarantined and deleted something and when my computer was done rebooting all my files and everything was gone. And there is also no restore point on my computer?!? So I googled what happened and someone said to disable self protection mode and reboot and the stuff would be back but i see no self protection mode! Please help I have some photos that I really don’t want to lose.

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column

mbst_get_started.jpg

7. Click the Gather Logs button

mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

mbst_getting_logs.jpg

9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be found on your Desktop. Click OK

mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

So I don’t know what I did

So I quarantined and deleted something and when my computer was done rebooting all my files and everything was gone. And there is also no restore point on my computer?!? So I googled what happened and someone said to disable self protection mode and reboot and the stuff would be back but i see no self protection mode! Please help I have some photos that I really don’t want to lose.

Greetings,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing trouble.  It sounds like either a failing drive or some kind of operating system corruption.  I don't know what the cause was, but at this point the most important thing is securing your data and we can deal with getting the system back up and running afterwards.  To that end, if you have a second system where you can install the drive from your current system to perform a backup of any important data that would be a good place to start, otherwise you may try something like a bootable Linux CD or USB flash drive or a repair installation/upgrade installation of Windows as that will leave your files intact (you'll just need to reinstall most of your programs and customize any settings you normally change for your system).

For data backup solutions please refer to the information in this topic and you will find detailed instructions on performing an in-place upgrade install of Windows 10 on top of an existing Windows 10 installation here which should resolve any problems with the system booting, but of course will be a new install of Windows, however your pictures and other personal files should be intact.

With that said, if the drive itself is failing, then reinstalling Windows would be the wrong thing to do as you want to use the drive as little as possible to prevent further failure if possible until your data has been backed up first.

Excellent, I'm glad to hear that.  It would still be a good idea to go ahead and backup your important photos and any other files on the system that are important to you.  Keeping good backups is important for all users in case of any sort of issue or emergency, including system failures, bad infections (like ransomware, where files may be unrecoverable due to being encrypted), or any other number of possible unforeseen issues.  The provided link above for backup solutions provides many options and tools for keeping data backed up and I highly recommend checking it out if you haven't done so already.

In the meantime, if you have any further trouble or if Malwarebytes is not functioning properly please let us know and we will do our best to help.

Thanks

• tetonbob changed the title to Malwarebytes wiped my system files?
  • Staff

Hi @Mtenks,

Thank you for reporting the issue. It sounds like you may have been logged into a temporary user account after an issue was encountered at startup with loading your normal account.

We'd like to look further into the issue encountered so that we can hopefully address the underlying cause of the issue. If you're willing, please carry out the instructions in post #2 and respond back with the generated file.

Hello @Mtenks  

I would encourage you to run the report suggested by LiquidTension.

It is not unheard of that a Windows machine may run into a issue on a restart & the bottom result being the machine started up in a temp user account.

I have a older machine that sometimes would do that.

by the way, if ever in doubt which login-user-account is the one currently in use, just go to a Command prompt, and type in

whoami

& tap Enter-key on keyboard.

As to the temporary condition of system booting up into a temporary user-profile, we also have seen that in the past on Windows 7 systems  ( and earlier Windows O.S.  I venture to say).

As Susan Bradley has said in other venues,  

(temporary ) loss of profile has historically been a race condition between the boot process and something holding files open

That is to say,  a batch process runs that has lots of work to do and there was not enough time before it is timed out.

But doing another Restart should bring the system back normal  once  logged in with the normal user-account.   That was true here for Mtenks.

I must say I am very interested in seeing the scan log at issue from the machine.

@Mtenks   https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4