Hi,

Is this the correct digital signature for mbar? I was wanting to check, as it is quite an old signature (2017), and the signature is from "Malwarebytes Corporation" whereas regular Malwarebytes is from "Malwarebytes Inc".

mb.PNG

It does look like the MBAR standalone scanner needs a new certificate.

So should I not run it until it gets a new certificate? And quick question, do I need to use the standalone scanner, or can I just use regular malwarebytes to detect any rootkits?

No, you can still run it.  The CounterSigning certificates are from DigiCert which expires in 2024 ( sha1)  and  that from Symantec which expires in 2028 (sha256).

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and grammar

1 hour ago, IAmOnline said:

or can I just use regular malwarebytes to detect any rootkits?

You can do that. But you must enable it in settings as it is turned off by default.

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

You can do that. But you must enable it in settings as it is turned off by default.

So the regular Malwarebytes software provides me with the same features as the Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit? Sorry just wanted to clarify

Yes, all of the capabilities of the standalone Anti-Rootkit are now integrated into the main Malwarebytes product.  You simply need to enable rootkit scanning in settings and perform the standard Threat scan and it's the same as scanning with the standalone anti-rootkit except it also includes additional detections and signatures not built into the standalone anti-rootkit so it is more comprehensive:

Rootkits.png.a9944890083a57e81e5336bbde6722f7.png

6 minutes ago, IAmOnline said:

So the regular Malwarebytes software provides me with the same features as the Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit? Sorry just wanted to clarify

They use the stand alone as a test bed for new detection's and port them into the main program when warranted. There is a handful of rootkits that the stand alone is/was used for but those might have already been added to the main program.

As far as I know they have not released a new build of the standalone rootkit scanner for quite some time so both scanners should have parity with regards to rootkit scanning and detection.  These days there aren't a lot of rootkits found in the wild and those that are have been typically just variants of existing/known rootkit families so no new rootkit detection tech has been needed.  Most modern threats are more focused on things like ransomware and exploits (both of which are targeted by Malwarebytes Premium).