Leedogg

Problem with Chrome/Malwarebytes and resolving host

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

It is the version 4 that works. Do you want version 3?

Moderately baffled by your response.  I ran version 4 for over three months without any problems.  Cannot say any good words about the version information to be found on the website, actually can't say too much good about the website in general except for the beautiful graphics to lure in new users.  Generally navigation is confusing, lots of dead ends, for example, you can get to the forums from the main site, but can't get back!  In case I'm an incompetent fool, please instruct from your enlightened wisdom.  Would have thought that, since version 3 is still available, version 4 before the one that supposedly "works" would be available as well.  If anyone can help with finding these earlier versions, please do so, then I can play with it at my convenience, and not have to bother others with these arcane requests.  Have resigned to watching the ongoing drama, and don't want to trouble these very busy people anymore, and will wait for version 5 or some fortunate accident that will correct this unfortunate situation.

17 minutes ago, Grellton said:

version 4 before the one that supposedly "works" would be available as well. 

They are not publicly available.

Are you saying mb4-setup-consumer-4.0.4.49-1.0.750-1.0.14966

Does not work your you?

That is what I am saying.  It didn't work in mid-February, and it doesn't work now.  Too bad only the chosen few get access to the secret archives, but I'm willing to beg if it would help, or else plead aggrieved status to get what I already paid for.

The first step in possibly resolving the issue is to do a clean removal and reinstall of the program using our MBST tool. For many people, this resolves the issue. For those that it does not resolve the issue then you may want to try enabling the Beta downloads from within Settings, General.

If the latest beta also does not correct the issue, then please gather logs to help us track down and resolve the issue.

STEP 1
Please do the following Uninstall and reinstall Malwarebytes using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install.

Enable the Beta under General settings. Then check for updates again and restart the computer.

Let us know if that clears up the issue or not.

If STEP 1 did not help then please restart the computer and  proceed to STEP 2 so that we can get logs to help us determine the cause

STEP 2
When the issue occurs, do you have a VPN or any other network filtering software enabled (besides Malwarebytes)?
Does this issue consistently present itself when Web Protection is enabled?
Does the issue occur when you are not using Bittorent, qBittorrent, or any other P2P torrent software?

We're in need of additional information to help narrow down the cause of this issue.
Part of this process will involve manually triggering a crash to obtain a memory dump, which will hopefully show what the Web Protection driver is doing to cause this issue. You can read more about this process here.

Once you've reproduced the issue and are actively experiencing it, force a crash by pressing the following keys at the same time: Left Ctrl+Left Alt+U+U.

After the machine has rebooted, you should find a memory dump named MEMORY.dmp in C:\Windows. Please zip this up and provide it to us.

Please follow the directions from the following topic:  Upload Malwarebytes Support Tool logs offline and upload that new log as well on your next reply

STEP 3 (if step 1 did not help and you do not wish to participate in step 2)

Option 1: Disable Web Protection via the tray icon

Option 2: Revert to Malwarebytes 4 CU1 and disable program updates until the next beta is available

Step 1:  Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool but do not allow the program to reinstall after the reboot. Decline the install
Step 2; Download Malwarebytes 4 CU1 and install it
Step 3: Open Malwarebytes, click the wheel image.png (top right) for Settings, General, then disable Application updates.     

image.png

Step 4: Restart the computer

We do not offer or provide any type of support for version 3.x as it is well beyond the end of life policy.

Thank you

56 minutes ago, Grellton said:

Too bad only the chosen few get access to the secret archives

Could you tell witch exact version worked? We could get you an official link  to that version if you wish.

On 7/1/2020 at 1:37 PM, Porthos said:

Toggle the register Malwarebytes in the Windows security center to deal with that.

Sweet that did the trick thanks!

8 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

The first step in possibly resolving the issue is to do a clean removal and reinstall of the program using our MBST tool. For many people, this resolves the issue. For those that it does not resolve the issue then you may want to try enabling the Beta downloads from within Settings, General.

If the latest beta also does not correct the issue, then please gather logs to help us track down and resolve the issue.

STEP 1

Hey there, I have been through those steps a couple of times and the problem still returns. Disabling Schedule Scans has been the only thing that fixes it, which seems really odd, but I have had web protection on without any issues for months. 

15 hours ago, Porthos said:

Could you tell witch exact version worked? We could get you an official link  to that version if you wish.

Like I said, back to January.  Don't normally record versions when things are working well....

Posted (edited)

If you have the Malwarebytes for Windows currently installed,  then run a report with the Support tool   ( Advanced >>>Gather Logs).

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023453-Upload-Malwarebytes-Support-Tool-logs-offline

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Posted (edited)

Well this thread is disappointing to see, but I can confirm the same issues. Just wiped 5 computers, installed new SSDs, installed a base Win 10 x64 Home version and updated to 2004. Everything was working great. First thing I did was install Chrome...everything still working great. Next, installed MB and activated our Pro licenses and boom Resolving Host on Chrome problems and browser loading times were at a crawl. We create restore points after each configuration / software install so I reverted back to the point before the MB install and boom everything working smoothly again. I don't see how this is a conflict with anything other than Windows and MB. After the OS install and updates, Chrome is the first thing I install on the machines followed by MB. MB is what broke it. I will leave it uninstalled until there seems to be a better fix in place without all of these work arounds I'm reading about. It's funny because our users were reporting very slow internet speeds and we were checking the network and not seeing any reason they would be going slow. Never occurred to me that MB could have been causing the issue, but it looks like it very well did. Resolving host is the problem that was being reported before with slow speeds so right now that's the likely culprit after my latest tests. 

Oh and before the new SSDs we were running on 1909 not 2004.

Edited by jamesost

22 minutes ago, jamesost said:

I don't see how this is a conflict with anything other than Windows and MB.

2004 and Malwarebytes have issues on some but not all computers. Some with ransomware and some with web protection.

As a side note, I have no issues and i have have upgraded 76 clients and only 3 have any issues. Those 3 I have downgraded to an earlier version.

You also have the option of reverting to an earlier component package version, which will allow you to keep Protection enabled.
You can download this from here: https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/z6cravnwptrzx5tyjw36jq6zt6c7apsx

Once installed, you will need to disable the two update options found in Settings -> General -> Application updates to prevent the product from updating back to the affected version.

I suggest using the following clean install guide.

Please do the following Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install. Say no and use the download from my above link and install the old version and disable the update before you do anything else.

Just did a clean install with Windows 10 Home x64 1909. Installed Chrome. Working flawlessly. Install MB. Resolving Host error and incredible slowness. I don't need any more convincing than that. There is obviously a problem. The fact that "some" computers are experiencing issues with just the base OS installed is pretty telling. You even said you have no issues, but then said you had issues with 3 and had to downgrade those 3. That's just not acceptable to me. All my machines are the same model with the same base OS package being pushed to it. Either it works for all as it should or there's a problem with the software and makes it unreliable to use especially in an enterprise environment. These problems appear to have been ongoing way before the 2004 build was released. I'll just leave it uninstalled for now and continue to monitor the 2004 known issue. 

Just for giggles I did go ahead and spin up another machine and this time put the earlier package of MB on it and disabled the update settings. No resolving host error right now and it seems to be working as it should. That alone is pretty interesting...

So I'm on the 4.0.4.49 - 1.0.14966 - 1.0.750 version / update package / component package. 

40 minutes ago, jamesost said:

Just for giggles I did go ahead and spin up another machine and this time put the earlier package of MB on it and disabled the update settings. No resolving host error right now and it seems to be working as it should. That alone is pretty interesting...

So I'm on the 4.0.4.49 - 1.0.14966 - 1.0.750 version / update package / component package. 

I as a volunteer or the company has not ever said that are no issues. And yes as far as I recall it has been going on since I think February before the pandemic lock down.

Some computers have the issues (the minority) and some not.

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I as a volunteer or the company has not ever said that are no issues. And yes as far as I recall it has been going on since I think February before the pandemic lock down.

Some computers have the issues (the minority) and some not.

I was just referring back to your previous post where you said...

"As a side note, I have no issues and i have have upgraded 76 clients and only 3 have any issues. Those 3 I have downgraded to an earlier version."

To me even having 3 of 76 clients experience a problem is an issue and that's what I was referring to.

I'm not so convinced this is just a problem for the minority of computers. If it's a problem with just the base OS with no other applications or configurations made then it's going to happen a lot. You may only be hearing from a few users on this thread, but I suspect it's happening a lot more and people just haven't figured out it may be MB causing the issue. As I stated, we were experiencing these issues pretty much since January/February and it didn't occur to us to be MB until our summer project of installing new SSDs and then testing software deployment packages. That's how we narrowed it down. 

1 hour ago, jamesost said:

If it's a problem with just the base OS with no other applications or configurations made then it's going to happen a lot.

I personally think it is a hardware/driver issue since it can happen on a clean install. But since I do not work for the company and when I encounter the issue, I cant delay a client from getting the computer back so I just revert to the working version on those and put them on a list to call when I see from all evidence here that the culprit is found and fixed.

I totally understand the frustration you and others who are having the issues are going thru.

I am just glad that as a  long time reseller and the one who forced Malwarebytes on computers over the years with a cleanup malware removal package since before techbench was offered we as repair service were not allowed to use the free version to clean computers or violate the EULA.

Many of those clients still have lifetime licenses.

Anyway have a safe weekend.