Leedogg

Problem with Chrome/Malwarebytes and resolving host

Posted (edited)

For anyone reading this post/topic.

The privacy policy is the same for all Malwarebytes products.

The info from the Support Tool even though is not explicitly stated does not leave the company. It is only accessed within the company for support purposes and as I stated before is not available to any other than authorized members and to development staff(AKA Authorized people only).

There is an opt out switch on the actual Malwarebytes program for telemetry

2020-05-22_14h39_26.png

The only section where all can access files is the Malware Removal section but since it requires users to download attachments from this forum and since it is one on one help, users my send logs by private message at any time during the malware removal assistance to the Malware removal assistant and is also vetted and authorized to receive those logs.

Edited by Porthos

Hello @gunter

If you're not happy with your posts or logs being on the forums I can delete all of you posts and logs. Just let me know.

Thank you

Hello, I'm also having the same issue. What exactly do you want from me to upload? Anything to make this problem go away, it's been painful lately...

30 minutes ago, CybeastID said:

Hello, I'm also having the same issue. What exactly do you want from me to upload? Anything to make this problem go away, it's been painful lately...

I would suggest enabling BETA updates and upgrade ans see if the issue persists.

Beta Updates.png

On 5/22/2020 at 1:35 PM, Porthos said:

FYI for all. Logs posted here in this section can not be read or accessed by anyone except authorized members.

Everyone else sees the following.

image.png.dca6ba16b6bcd590342c3c92cc53fa15.png

That is the only workaround since it can not be replicated on any of the numerous test machines that Malwarebytes owns.

Sorry you feel that way.

Best of health for you and yours. Stay safe.

These are my uploads and this is what I see. I submitted on 5/15/2020 and still haven't heard anything, other than the nice people in this forum, doing their best to help us, for which I am grateful.  image.png.cce21153500cbe278deb761bfed48b04.png

On 5/22/2020 at 3:23 PM, gunter said:

To MWB's credit - the browsing history collected is limited and does seem to be for the purpose of detecting exploits.

Nonetheless - MWB needs to make such data collection free of the ability to trace back to the submitting user.

Your analysis might be ignoring the fact that it uploaded every "chat" message it could find between MS Teams and Skype. I don't have a virus, and it wasn't the logs, but the actual .rtf versions of my chat messages. Should that be allowed to be shared without my consent?

On 5/22/2020 at 6:34 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @gunter

If you're not happy with your posts or logs being on the forums I can delete all of you posts and logs. Just let me know.

Thank you

Hello Root Admin, it is nice to see you chiming in on this topic. Your focus on "eradicating @gunter's records" from the forum notwithstanding, can you please offer some update on either the logs I submitted on 5/15, or, since I am running 4.0.4 because that's the only stable version, am I getting the latest signature and definition updates, even if I'm running an older version? Additionally, this issue is both on my personal PC (clone) and my work PC surface. Running 4.0.4 won't allow me to associate with my enterprise account, so I feel exposed, in addition to my chats being a subject of interest.  Thank you for any clarity you can bring to the situation.

I'm sorry but if you need specific attention to an issue then you should either create your own topic or create a support ticket so that you can get one on one support. Posting to a group topic typically gets just that, generic advice for all @jamalot71

Depending on what your real issue is, the latest beta may correct it but it may not. I realize you're not happy with this and you feel that we're not finding the issue quick enough for you. I do apologize but aside from telling you that your logs as well as about a dozen other logs have been submitted and the QA team is reviewing and actively working on the issue, I don't have specific information on your logs. If that is not good enough then you may contact our support online by creating a ticket via the link above and seeking a product refund and we'll be more than happy to assist you.

Thank you for your patience and understanding

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information

52 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

I'm sorry but if you need specific attention to an issue then you should either create your own topic or create a support ticket so that you can get one on one support. Posting to a group topic typically gets just that, generic advice for all @jamalot71

Depending on what your real issue is, the latest beta may correct it but it may not. I realize you're not happy with this and you feel that we're not finding the issue quick enough for you. I do apologize but aside from telling you that your logs as well as about a dozen other logs have been submitted and the QA team is reviewing and actively working on the issue, I don't have specific information on your logs. If that is not good enough then you may contact our support online by creating a ticket via the link above and seeking a product refund and we'll be more than happy to assist you.

Thank you for your patience and understanding

Thank you so much for your response. It means the world to me that you guys care. That's all I wanted to know. I have no desire to get a refund as I am a lifer as long as lines of communication are open. I didn't realize this wasn't your support forum, so that's my mistake. I am happy to try the beta if that is your suggestion, or open a formal ticket if that is a better approach? Thanks again for taking the time to respond, even if it's just to acknoledge that I've been "trying" to follow other threads and standard protocols to get this resolved.

1 hour ago, jamalot71 said:

am I getting the latest signature and definition updates, even if I'm running an older version?

Yes you are.

1 hour ago, jamalot71 said:

These are my uploads and this is what I see. I submitted on 5/15/2020 and still haven't heard anything, other than the nice people in this forum, doing their best to help us, for which I am grateful.  

The help desk stays very busy. And since you do not want logs here for the authorized (guess I understand your stance) people on the forum to look at, please stick with the ticket you already have. We do not want to duplicate efforts by using the forum and the help desk. The assistance is pretty much the same either way.

But at least the older version works with no issue and gets database updates.

It is our support forum. We offer forums, helpdesk, social media, chat, etc. to try and address the various support needs of users. The Helpdesk offers a more private offering in that only you and the Helpdesk see your emails not like here in public.