Leedogg

Problem with Chrome/Malwarebytes and resolving host

Greetings,

This issue is frustrating to be sure and I am certain the Developers are actively investigating a fix.  In the meantime, I would honestly suggest simply deleting your scheduled scans until the issue is resolved.  The real-time protection in Malwarebytes should prevent any threats from getting into the system in the first place so scanning frequently really shouldn't be necessary.  I personally delete the scheduled scan first thing after setting up the software, and I am a former employee of Malwarebytes so I do have a good understanding of how the various components in the product function and I am confident that the real-time protection alone is sufficient as long as it remains enabled, especially if you are also using Windows Defender alongside it.

I realize this is not a solution, just a suggestion for a workaround to avoid as much disruption as possible until the issue is resolved.

Scans have never detected anything anyway for me, only false positives. So I have disabled on all my PCs and will see how it goes. So far it's not played up... I would rather keep web scanner.

20 hours ago, jamalot71 said:

Update 5/15/2020 8:29PM EST

Used support tool to do a clean uninstall of my malwarebytes corporate client, it spent about 20 minutes on the repair and then said I needed to restart. After restarting, it completed installing the application. My next step was to run the log collector, which, strangely enough, seemed to really like uploading my chat history from Microsoft Teams for some reason? I must have seen it upload over 100 files like "Chat Log   C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive - XXXXXXXX\Documents\ChatLog Discussion of PHI_PII 2020_05_08 11_43.rtf"

MWB was clearly reinstalled, but it said my trial version was expiring. Since I had an enterprise license on this system, and your clean installer definitely wiped out any reference to the server or organization. Not such a big deal.

This morning when logging into my system, I noticed the MWB tray icon wasn't running. The day got crazy and I just hit the windows key to launch MWB to find out why the system tray icon wasn't showing. Nothing showed up. I just checked Program Files and x86 and nada. Programs and Files = No Malwarebytes. I find that strange as well.

I'm attaching your log collector file.

mbst-grab-results.zip

With all due respect to everyone at Malwarebytes, this is totally unacceptable. A massive issue that's been plaguing your loyal user community for over 3 months and you still have no issue what's causing and require logs from every person's individual machine? 

I don't get it. I don't want to cancel my scheduled scans as I use Malwarebytes and Windows Defender to protect my system. If I trusted Windows Defender to protect my system, I wouldn't continue to purchase your product, year after year after year.  I've been working with your software for as long as I can remember, maybe even 2005 or 2006?

I just forced my entire federal contracting organization to switch to Malwarebytes for our enterprise solution and what should I tell them? Sorry, you'll all have to turn into individual technician's and create dump logs so the guys have a shot at figuring it out AFTER THREE MONTHS OF REPORTS? I have high-speed internet, no vpn, windows 10 updated to current, current chrome, and no other anti-virus program has ever been installed.

I don't want to cancel my enterprise subscription or my personal versions, but I'm simply amazed that you're unable to address and remedy this situation. It's not one person, it's not one system, its not one competing anti-virus. Basic line of deduction is that the software has a bug. I didn't do anything to create the issue other than to install your software on all of my systems. 

I'm running your support tool and will upload my logs once I cool down. Total bummer.

19 hours ago, exile360 said:

Greetings,

This issue is frustrating to be sure and I am certain the Developers are actively investigating a fix.  In the meantime, I would honestly suggest simply deleting your scheduled scans until the issue is resolved.  The real-time protection in Malwarebytes should prevent any threats from getting into the system in the first place so scanning frequently really shouldn't be necessary.  I personally delete the scheduled scan first thing after setting up the software, and I am a former employee of Malwarebytes so I do have a good understanding of how the various components in the product function and I am confident that the real-time protection alone is sufficient as long as it remains enabled, especially if you are also using Windows Defender alongside it.

I realize this is not a solution, just a suggestion for a workaround to avoid as much disruption as possible until the issue is resolved.

Thanks. I apologize for ranting on a forum. It had just been a long day. I do appreciate the hard work that goes into all of this and don't want to downplay the impact that random Windows updates will cause. I'm just hoping to shed more light on the situation as it seems like it's happened to multiple people and each time seemed to be treated as a one-off. Thanks again for your sane response! :)

6 minutes ago, jamalot71 said:

it seems like it's happened to multiple people and each time seemed to be treated as a one-off.

Problem with millions of users and a small handful having the issue and the test systems at Malwarebytes disposal are not having an issue they are going down rabbit holes and no rabbets.

But I assure it is not being treated as a one off.

You also have the option of reverting to an earlier component package version, which will allow you to keep Web Protection enabled.
You can download this from here: https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/z6cravnwptrzx5tyjw36jq6zt6c7apsx

Once installed, you will need to disable the two update options found in Settings -> General -> Application updates to prevent the product from updating back to the affected version.

I suggest using the following clean install guide.

Please do the following Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install. Say no and use the download from my above link and install the old version and disable the update before you do anything else.

Let me know if that clears up the issue or not.

Thanks so much for your feedback. I did install the tool, and it said it completed the installation of the software, but it's not showing up anywhere. In addition, I need to connect this particular machine to my enterprise server. Is there a shortcut way to associate my account with my enterprise server from the client side?

Any idea when I may hear back from someone? Is there a separate forum for the Malwarebytes support team?

23 minutes ago, jamalot71 said:

Any idea when I may hear back from someone? Is there a separate forum for the Malwarebytes support team?

So is Malwarebytes installed at this time?

5 minutes ago, jamalot71 said:

Yes, it is installed, but the System Tray Icon is not visible.

Is this the surface?

1 minute ago, jamalot71 said:

Correct. Surface Pro 6, Windows 10 Home 1909 OS build 18363.836, i5 and 8GB RAM

There are known issues currently with surface Pro's.

I suggest reverting to the older version as posted in post #55.

Can anyone help with instructions for manual collection of logs and manually running FRST?

I tried to run the support tool and logs collection directly after boot before the issue happens -- done no problem.

I then left the support tool open until the issue occurred and, despite this, I was not successful in collecting logs once my internet was blocked.

Seeing this is such a big issue for me, I'd love to be able to contribute logs.... not being able to collect them due to the support tool being affected by loss of internet is sadly ironic.

Thanks.

On 5/14/2020 at 8:43 PM, jamalot71 said:

With all due respect to everyone at Malwarebytes, this is totally unacceptable. A massive issue that's been plaguing your loyal user community for over 3 months and you still have no issue what's causing and require logs from every person's individual machine? 

I don't get it. I don't want to cancel my scheduled scans as I use Malwarebytes and Windows Defender to protect my system. If I trusted Windows Defender to protect my system, I wouldn't continue to purchase your product, year after year after year.  I've been working with your software for as long as I can remember, maybe even 2005 or 2006?

I just forced my entire federal contracting organization to switch to Malwarebytes for our enterprise solution and what should I tell them? Sorry, you'll all have to turn into individual technician's and create dump logs so the guys have a shot at figuring it out AFTER THREE MONTHS OF REPORTS? I have high-speed internet, no vpn, windows 10 updated to current, current chrome, and no other anti-virus program has ever been installed.

I don't want to cancel my enterprise subscription or my personal versions, but I'm simply amazed that you're unable to address and remedy this situation. It's not one person, it's not one system, its not one competing anti-virus. Basic line of deduction is that the software has a bug. I didn't do anything to create the issue other than to install your software on all of my systems. 

I'm running your support tool and will upload my logs once I cool down. Total bummer.

@jamalot71
>> With all due respect to everyone at Malwarebytes, this is totally unacceptable.
I too am extremely disappointed with Malwarebytes response to this bug.  There's been little to no insight into what developers are doing to resolve the bug (some posts indicate that they cannot reproduce the issue); instead, the support advice has been largely boilerplate.  Do the usual x-y-z stuff to make sure you haven't got a bad install - then delete your install and try again - submit logs - and if everything else fails, disable the web protection feature or go back to a previous version.

I was nearly at patience's end - having experienced this bug for months on end - but I thought - OK - I'll go ahead and submit the requested logs.

I ran the support tool once the host resolving issue occurred - it hung.  Fine... I rebooted my machine and ran the log gathering tool again.

I was about to submit the logs - but then I thought... hang on, just what am I sending.  So I examined the log files with a text editor. It turns out that the logs contain a list of some of the sites you have visited.  To me, this a huge privacy concern issue.  That was the last straw.

I've been a loyal Malwarebytes customer for many years and have benefited from the product and especially from the free support for removing malware provided in other parts of this forum.  But inability to diagnose a severe problem ongoing for months on end with numerous users complaining about the issue, support tools sending information that you might not want to be shared for privacy reasons, the same boilerplate response to everyone complaining about the bug, very little insight into what developers are doing to address this bug, no list of known bugs (that I can find), and so on...

I gave up and installed a competing product. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, gunter said:

I was about to submit the logs - but then I thought... hang on, just what am I sending.  So I examined the log files with a text editor. It turns out that the logs contain a list of some of the sites you have visited.  To me, this a huge privacy concern issue.  That was the last straw.

FYI for all. Logs posted here in this section can not be read or accessed by anyone except authorized members.

Everyone else sees the following.

image.png.dca6ba16b6bcd590342c3c92cc53fa15.png

if everything else fails, disable the web protection feature or go back to a previous version.

That is the only workaround since it can not be replicated on any of the numerous test machines that Malwarebytes owns.

Sorry you feel that way.

Best of health for you and yours. Stay safe.

Edited by Porthos

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

FYI for all. Logs posted here in this section can not be read or accessed by anyone except authorized members.

That is the only workaround since it can not be replicated on any of the numerous test machines that Malwarebytes owns.

Sorry you feel that way.

Best of health for you and yours. Stay safe.

WRT privacy - my browsing history is private to me.  If I am sending this information to you it should be clear that I am doing so.  I do not recall having given permission for this information to be sent when using the FRST tool (but I may be mistaken and would be happy to be corrected).

WRT inability to replicate a problem experienced by numerous users - unacceptable.  And quite honestly unbelievable.  You know the machine specifications for machines that are affected; you know the timeframe when the bug occurred; you know the symptoms for the bug.  Worst case, you could have (prior to covid-19 outbreak) sent an engineer with kernel debugging tools to one of your customers with the bug - now with covid-19, is there a possibility of remote kernel debugging with one of your customers? - I haven't kept pace with dev tools so maybe or maybe not this is possible.  In any event, completely unbelievable to me that this hasn't been addressed.

56 minutes ago, gunter said:

WRT privacy - my browsing history is private to me.  If I am sending this information to you it should be clear that I am doing so.  I do not recall having given permission for this information to be sent when using the FRST tool (but I may be mistaken and would be happy to be corrected).

7. Privacy Policy.
By entering into this Agreement you agree to the terms of Malwarebytes' privacy policy, which can be found at https://www.malwarebytes.com/privacy/ (as may be updated from time to time, the "Privacy Policy"). More information concerning what data is collected and used by Malwarebytes and how it is used is available in the Privacy Policy. Without limiting the Privacy Policy, you agree that Malwarebytes may track certain data it obtains from your Device, including data about any malicious software, exploits or other threats flagged by the Software (including but not limited to potential sources of such threats, such as payload files, file format and recent URL's visited), data about your license, data about what version of the Software you are using and what operating conditions it runs under and data concerning your geographic location. This information is collected and used for the purpose of tracking malicious software, exploits and other threats, and evaluating and improving Malwarebytes' products and services. We may share data relating to malicious software, exploits or other threats flagged by the Software with third parties. In the event that any user who operates the Software as permitted under this Agreement (including, if you are a Malwarebytes for Business customer, your Authorized Users) makes a complaint or claim based on the tracking or collection of data in accordance with this Section 7, you agree that you are solely responsible for addressing any such complaints or claims.

2020-05-22_13h39_50.png

15 minutes ago, Porthos said:

7. Privacy Policy.
By entering into this Agreement you agree to the terms of Malwarebytes' privacy policy, which can be found at https://www.malwarebytes.com/privacy/ (as may be updated from time to time, the "Privacy Policy"). More information concerning what data is collected and used by Malwarebytes and how it is used is available in the Privacy Policy. Without limiting the Privacy Policy, you agree that Malwarebytes may track certain data it obtains from your Device, including data about any malicious software, exploits or other threats flagged by the Software (including but not limited to potential sources of such threats, such as payload files, file format and recent URL's visited), data about your license, data about what version of the Software you are using and what operating conditions it runs under and data concerning your geographic location. This information is collected and used for the purpose of tracking malicious software, exploits and other threats, and evaluating and improving Malwarebytes' products and services. We may share data relating to malicious software, exploits or other threats flagged by the Software with third parties. In the event that any user who operates the Software as permitted under this Agreement (including, if you are a Malwarebytes for Business customer, your Authorized Users) makes a complaint or claim based on the tracking or collection of data in accordance with this Section 7, you agree that you are solely responsible for addressing any such complaints or claims.

2020-05-22_13h39_50.png

Well, it seems that you've covered yourself from lawsuit... I suppose... maybe.

But quite honestly this isn't good enough.  If you must track any information such as this, you should do so in the following fashion:

MWB may collect information about the sites you have visited.  However, all data collected by MWB is annonomized - and is completely untraceable to an IP address or any other datum capable of identifying the submitting user.

Instead, you have a wall of text which allows the collection of such information - and get this - you're allowed to share this information with others.

1 minute ago, gunter said:

Well, it seems that you've covered yourself from lawsuit... I suppose... maybe.

But quite honestly this isn't good enough.  If you must track any information such as this, you should do so in the following fashion:

MWB may collect information about the sites you have visited.  However, all data collected by MWB is annonomized - and is completely untraceable to an IP address or any other datum capable of identifying the submitting user.

Instead, you have a wall of text which allows the collection of such information - and get this - you're allowed to share this information with others.

Given the above... quite honestly... why on earth would I ever, ever consent to using this tool?

4 minutes ago, gunter said:

Given the above... quite honestly... why on earth would I ever, ever consent to using this tool?

Maybe I'm a staunch Republican - living in a Democrat area in the USA - or vice versa - my browsing history reflects this.   Bad enough that MWB knows this - but you're allowed to share this information as well.

Or maybe I'm a devout Muslim - but very worried about reprisal against my religion.  My browsing history reflects this.  And I've just disclosed to MWB my religious beliefs.

Or maybe I'm GLBT - or for/against abortion - or for/against gun/rights - or for against whatever - the point is, MWB has no reason to trace this information back to me.  And certainly has no right to share this information with others.

1 hour ago, gunter said:

Not to start a debate here. Be sure to check your competing products privacy agreement.

Since you uninstalled Malwarebytes the agreement will not matter to you.

Just now, Porthos said:

Not to start a debate here. Be sure to check your competing products privacy agreement.

Since you uninstalled Malwarebytes the agreement will not matter to you.

Honestly you are starting a debate.

It's bad enough that you know who I am when submitting data - it's far worse that you claim the right to share my private information.

The litigation against Facebook, Google and other huge software companies - along these same lines - and honestly with far less concerning infractions should serve as a wakeup call.  

Just now, gunter said:

Honestly you are starting a debate.

It's bad enough that you know who I am when submitting data - it's far worse that you claim the right to share my private information.

The litigation against Facebook, Google and other huge software companies - along these same lines - and honestly with far less concerning infractions should serve as a wakeup call.  

To MWB's credit - the browsing history collected is limited and does seem to be for the purpose of detecting exploits.

Nonetheless - MWB needs to make such data collection free of the ability to trace back to the submitting user.