Alexander12345

Wondering why svchost is so much on my PC

Hey guys, I was wondering if it's normal to have upwards of 40+ svchosts in windows 10 in the Details tab in Task Manager. It could be my windows 10 privacy tool O&O ShutUp is i think what it's called, though i'm not sure. Could this be something malicious? I've done a scan with Mbam and nothing came up, just wondering. I don't think i've had any slowdowns thus far. 30 sec video attached

Thanks!

Hi,   :welcome:

It is entirely normal to see many instances listed of svchost on a Windows system.  Svchost is a important component of the operating system that helps for different operating systems services to run.

By the way, my system has many several dozens of svchost running.

Svchost.exe is a process on your computer that hosts, or contains, other individual services that Windows uses to perform various functions.

There will be multiple instances of svchost.exe running on your computer, with each instance containing different services. One instance of svchost.exe might host a single service for a program, and another instance might host several services related to Windows

So the bottom line is that we need to put this idea of svchost being something dangerous away.

We judge the health of a system by running checks with Malwarebytes for Windows and with other trusted antivirus/security tools.

You report that scan with  Malwarebytes for Windows reported no malware.  That is entirely acceptable and a indicator that this system is just fine.

You may run a independent / different scan.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner  is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that  can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system.

The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Let me know the result of this.

The log is named MSERT.log 

the log will be at  %SYSTEMROOT%\debug\msert.log   which in most cases is

C:\Windows\debug\msert.log

Please attach that log with your reply.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected font issue

Hello.  Did you see my reply from Wednesday ?   How is it going ?

On 3/2/2020 at 10:38 AM, Maurice Naggar said:

Hello.  Did you see my reply from Wednesday ?   How is it going ?

Hey, sorry. I didn't get a notification for a reply for some reason. Thanks for your reply.

I don't have msert.log but I have mrt.log.

Hi,

Did you happen to notice the result of that scan?   Can you please attach any report for the run ?

Also, please run a new scan with Malwarebytes for Windows and then attach the scan log report.

If this Windows 10 has a non-Microsoft antivirus then let me know the brand.

Also,  you should be able to do a scan with the Windows 10 Windows Defender.

Windows 10 has the Microsoft Windows Defender which can run the Windows Defender Offline scan.

Click the Windows Start menu button on the Taskbar, select Settings icon. Then choose Update and Security.

In Windows Settings  >>> click on Windows Security from the left side list.

Next, In Windows Security section:  Click on the grey button Open Windows Security

next click on the blue Scan options

Look down the options list.  Tick on Windows Defender Offline scan.   Then click the grey "Scan now" button.

and let it scan the system.

When it reboots the system, please just login with your regular login-account.

Have patience during the scan run.

Keep in mind that the design and what is scanned by Windows Defender is a whole different design from Malwarebytes. But do let me know how this scan goes and what the result is.

NOTE:  We cannot  use the observation of multiple lines with svchost in Task Manager as being a indicator of a infection.   It is very very normal for svchost to have separate tasks doing work for the Windows operating system.

IF you happen to see some task with a slightly different spelling, or if it's property shows it to be in a Temp folder, or if it is in any other folder besides C:\Windows\System32 ( the actual svchost.exe resides there) then let me know.

That said, the only real way to determine if a infection is present, is by running recognized ant-malware scan tools.

Again, your Task Manager screen-grab is very normal.

Hello.  Checking up on this case.  How are things at this point?  Are you needing other help?

Did you see my prior reply ?

Hi.  Are you still with us ?

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks