Explorer freezes

I have a laptop Windows Vista Home Edition running Avira Premium 9 and MBAM Pro. 1.41

When both are active and l open My Computer or My Documents, the laptop freezes.

The laptop does not freeze when only Avira Premium is running.

I have done the exception of the MBAM files in Avira, uninstall and reinstall MBAM, but still to no avail.

• Staff

Greetings monday :) .

Still having freeze up issues? I'm sorry to hear that. I'd like to try to help you troubleshoot the problem if you don't mind.

Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here.

• Save Autoruns.exe to your desktop and double-click it to run it.
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures
  • Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Now right-click on the Autoruns.arn file located on your desktop and highlight Sent To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Please attach the Autoruns.zip file you just created to your next post.

EDIT: I'll leave this post up for an FYI, but please follow the instructions of the expert above!

The files below in Bold letters are in your AV? all that you see? please post back with your report...regards..

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.

Now right-click on the Autoruns.arn file located on your desktop and highlight Sent To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder

Please attach the Autoruns.zip file you just created to your next post.

If you don't have a zip program let me know & I'll grab a free one for you?

EDIT: here's a trail version good for 30 days? http://www.filehippo.com/download_winzip/

• Staff

I took a look, but unfortunately I didn't see anything that really jumped out at me that could be causing the freezing issue. I did however notice that you're running StartupDelayer. If you've used it to alter the startup for either Avira or Malwarebytes' then you should set it back to normal, as it might be messing with how one or the other loads, thus creating a conflict.

Let me know if it helps.

exile360,

Thanks for taking the time to helping this problem.

I configured StartupDelayer for a delay time of 4 minutes for MBAM Pro when it was 1.40, so Avira will load first to stop the issue with freezing. Since that didnot work, l disable the timer configuration on MBAM in StartupDelayer.

Right now it is only Avira running in real time mode and MBAM being used as on demand.

When both are running in realtime mode, everything works, fine, until l open either "My Computer or my documents" then the laptop freezes.

• Root Admin

Please review the post and see if this helps or not.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...st&p=131222

Reconfigure Windows XP to show hidden files:

To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps:

* Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.

* Double-click on the My Computer icon.

* Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.

* After the new window appears select the View tab.

* Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.

* Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.

* Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.

* Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.

* Press the Apply button and then the OK button and exit My Computer.

* Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.

• Root Admin

Yes, similar idea. Basically there are some bogus files on the system that are interfering with MBAM reading them. I'm not saying this is your issue as it could easily be something else, but this is a quick easy way to check. If it does not help or apply then please follow the directions below but be warned it can be a week before someone replies. Just post back each 48 hours to ensure you don't get lost in the shuffle.

Scan and post logs - read note at bottom in green

If you're having Malware related issues with your computer that you're unable to resolve.

1. Please read and follow the instructions provided here: I'm infected - What do I do now?
  2. If needed please post your logs in a NEW topic here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs
  3. When posting logs please do not use any Quote, Code, or other tags. Please copy/paste directly into your post and do not attach files unless requested.

• Please do not post any logs in the General forum. We do not work on any logs posted in the General forum.
  • Please do not install any software or use any removal/scanning tool except for those you're requested to run by the Helper that will assist you.
  • Using these other tools often makes the cleanup task more difficult and time consuming.
  • If you have already submitted for assistance at one of the other support sites on the Internet then you should not post a new log here, you should stay working with the Helper from that site until the issue is resolved.
  • Do not assume you're clean because you don't see something in the logs. Please wait until the person assisting you provides feedback.
  • There are often many others that require asistance as well, so please be patient. If no one has responded within 48 hours then please go ahead and post a request for review

• NOTE: If for some reason you're unable to run some or any of the tools in the first link, then skip that step and move on to the next one. If you can't even run HijackThis, then just proceed and post a NEW topic as shown in the second link describing your issues and someone will assist you as soon as they can.