Google Chrome PUP.Optional.SearchEncrypt returns

Hi

I have the free version of Malware Bytes, running on a Windows 8 laptop. I have scanned the PC a couple of times this month and each time I get about 30 optional.PUP messages. I have quarantined all but they keep coming back. TXT file attached. I am assuming they are not a big problem but why do they keep appearing and what can I do to remove them?

Many thanks

John

Pup.txt

• Root Admin

Hello @Mista_John

Please follow the directions posted above by @Porthos

In most cases that will probably correct your issue. If it does not then it's possible that maybe some policy needs to be removed or there may be something more going on with the computer. Just let us know and we'll get  you squared away.

Thanks

• AdvancedSetup changed the title to Google Chrome PUP.Optional.SearchEncrypt returns

Hi, I followed the instructions posted by @Porthos. However, I still have a number of errors found - it seems to vary between 12 and 20.

I then went to the other recommended action and was told to download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool. I did this after being sent to the BleepingComputer.com website, but when I tried to run it, I received a message saying 'FRST64.EXE is not commonly downloaded and may be dangerous'. On my desktop, where I tried to save the exe, I see Unconfirmed.XXXX crdownload.

I am attaching the latest scan results - after I tried to remove the errors - and also screenshots of a) the message I received on downloading FRST and b) my desktop print out with 'unconfirmed' on file names.

At the moment I am using a free version of your software and Windows Defender (Windows 😎 but no errors found there. 

Thank you

John

Screenshot (84).png

Screenshot (85).png

Pup2.txt

With apologies to @Porthos    I am going to temporarily pipe in and suggest these following bits.

The P U P  are related to the Chrome SYNC option, which needs to be set to OFF.

Use Chrome  go to https://www.google.com/settings/chrome/sync and sign into your account.
Scroll down until you see the "reset sync" button and click on the button
At the prompt click on "Ok".

On the FRST64 download, you will need a new download.  The msg "Unconfirmed.XXXX crdownload " pretty much means the last download did not complete all the way.

2nd thing related to that download, the message saying 'FRST64.EXE is not commonly downloaded and may be dangerous  is a "reputation check"  that is simply off base.

The FRST tool is safe and widely used.   Go ahead and do a new download and run the report.   Your Windows is apparently 64-bit one.

1: Please download FRST from the link below and save it to your desktop:

"Download link for 64-Bit Version Windows"

Please wait and look toward the top or bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save.
Click Save to save the file  to the Downloads folder

Run report with FRST64

Right-click on FRST64 icon and select Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run.

_Windows 8 or 10 users will be prompted about Windows *SmartScreen protection* - click line More info information on that screen and click button Run anyway on next screen._

Click YES when prompted by Windows U A C prompt to allow it to run.
Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info & followup & choose Run anyway.

Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes. 

Click Yes when the* disclaimer* appears in FRST.
The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use.

Make sure that Addition options is *checked* - the configuration should look exactly like on the screen below (do not mark additional things unless asked).
Press Scan button and wait.

image.png.5f2fbce09a2164621f62400397567130.png

The tool will produce 2  logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt , Addition.txt 
Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files.

Please attach these 2 files to your next reply.

Thank you.

Hi, John.

Bravo to you.   Let's go ahead and do the following steps.

[   1   ]

for Chrome, while Chrome is running:
Press & hold SHIFT+CTRL+Del keys  on keyboard to get menu for clearing browsing data:

Check mark the line  "Browsing history"

Check mark the line "Download history"

Check mark the lined "Cached images and files"
and press Clear Data button  ( in blue )

[     2     ]

After that, make real sure that Chrome is "NOT" set to reload the pages from the last session

Go into the settings menu of Chrome by first clicking  the control icon of Chrome on upper right of the address bar

Then look deeper in SETTINGS

image.png.6c6b042bbf5e99146094d5db2eea792b.png

Make real sure it is "NOT" set to "continue where you left off"

[    3     ]

See this article on our Malwarebytes Blog
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

You want to disable the ability of each web browser on this machine from being able to allow "push ads". That means Chrome, Firefox, or Edge browser (on Windows 10), or on Opera.

Scroll down to the tips section "How do I disable them".

[   4    ]

I suggest you install the Malwarebytes Browser guard for Chrome.

To get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension for Chrome,

Open this link in your Chrome   browser: 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/malwarebytes/ihcjicgdanjaechkgeegckofjjedodee

Then proceed with the setup.

[    5    ]

get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard  Firefox extension.

Open this link in your Firefox browser:   

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/malwarebytes/

Then proceed with the setup.

That link is for English US.   There are other language version.  Just go to the very bottom right of the page and look at “Change language” list drop down.

[   6    ]

I  would suggest to download, Save, and then run Malwarebytes ADWCLEANER.

Please close Chrome and all other open web browsers after you have saved the Adwcleaner and before you start Adwcleaner scan.

Adwcleaner  detects factory Preinstalled applications too!

Please download  Malwarebytes AdwCleaner  https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner

Be sure to Save the file first, to your system.  Saving to the Downloads folder should be the default on your system.

Go to the folder where you saved Adwcleaner. Double click Adwcleaner  to start it.

At the prompt for license agreement, review and then click on I agree.

You will then see a main screen for Adwcleaner. ( if you do not see it right away, minimized the other open windows, so you can see Adwcleaner).

Then click on Dashboard button.

Click the blue button "Scan Now".

allow it a few minutes to finish the Scan.   Let it remove what it finds.

NOTE:  When it comes to the section "

Pre-installed applications

You can skip that.

Please find and send the Adwcleaner "C" clean report.

In Adwcleaner, click the "Reports" button.  Look at the list of reports for the latest date & type "Clean".

Double Click that line & it will open in Notepad.   Save the file to your system and then Attach that with your reply.

That C clean report will be the one with the most recent Date and time at folder  C:\AdwCleaner\Logs

Thanks.  Keep me advised.

Hi Maurice

Thanks for excellent instructions.

I have enclosed the Cleaner report as requested.

Two points - a) I did not do anything with IE as I have Windows 8.1 and no Edge, instructions did not match and I never use IE, b) I did not download MWB browser guard for Firefox, as again I never (hardly ever) use Firefox. 

Finally, when I was working on this problem a few days ago, I was advised to stop syncing on Chrome. I have restarted that, hope that's ok. 

Regards

John

AdwCleaner[C00].txt

Thanks for that log.   Let me suggest one new scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.   Just as a new checkup.

Please do a new Scan on this machine, using Malwarebytes for Windows.

To run a Threat Scan, open Malwarebytes for Windows and click the blue Scan button.

Have patience during the run.

When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.

Then click on Quarantine selected.

Then, locate the Scan run report;  export out a copy;  & then attach in with your  reply.

See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

You noted that it found "no detections".   That is great.   To see the scan report, see the link I had listed before

See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

and if you need something else at this point, let me know.   Otherwise, we can plan to wrap this up.

Sincerely.

Howdy, John.   You are very welcome.

The Adwcleaner you may keep and use it on demand, as needed/

To remove the FRST64 tool & its work files, do this.  Go to your DESKTOP.  Do a RIGHT-click on FRST64.exe & select RENAME & then change it to UNINSTALL.

Then run that ( double click on it)  to begin the cleanup process.

Any other files that I had you download, you may delete.

It is not enough to just have a security program installed. Each pc user needs to practice daily safe computer and internet use.

Best  practices & malware prevention:
Follow best practices when browsing the Internet, especially on opening links coming from untrusted sources.
First rule of internet safety: slow down & think before you "click".

Never click links without first hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if it is going to an odd address ( one that does not fit or is odd looking or has typos).

Free games & free programs are like "candy". We do not accept them from "strangers".

Never open attachments that come with unexpected ( out of the blue ) email no matter how enticing.
Never open attachments from the email itself. Do not double click in the email. Always Save first and then scan with antivirus program.

Pay close attention when installing 3rd-party programs. It is important that you pay attention to the license agreements and installation screens when installing anything off of the Internet. If an installation screen offers you Custom or Advanced installation options, it is a good idea to select these as they will typically disclose what other 3rd party software will also be installed.
Take great care in every stage of the process and every offer screen, and make sure you know what it is you're agreeing to before you click "Next".

Use a Standard user account rather than an administrator-rights account when "surfing" the web.
See more info on Corrine's SecurityGarden Blog http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_7.html
Dont remove your current login. Just use the new Standard-user-level one for everyday use while on the internet.

Do a Windows Update.

Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

For other added tips, read "10 easy ways to prevent malware infection"

My best wishes to you.

Sincerely,

Maurice

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks