pootis

Old Dell Inspiron 9400 Laptop won't run some programs

Okay here is the malwarebytes log.

And also i done the ESET scan.

It has had 5 detections but it only removed 3 as the other 2 were left untouched

log.txt

Thank you for the Malwarebytes scan report.  This reports no malware /no  P U P

There is a newer version for the Malwarebytes that you should take measure to get.   The latest version is 4.1.0

Start Malwarebytes.   Click the Settings  ( gear ) icon on the upper right.

Then when on the General tab.   Look for and click on the button "Check for Updates".

Have patience while it checks and follow all prompts.   I would like a confirmation that this has succeeded.

Translated in Bosnian

Pokrenite Malwarebytes. Kliknite ikonu Postavke (zupčanik) u gornjem desnom uglu.

Tada na kartici Općenito. Potražite i kliknite na gumb "Provjeri ažuriranja".

Imajte strpljenja dok to provjerava i slijedite sve upute. Želio bih potvrdu da je to uspjelo.

NEXT,  I would like you to do the following

[   2   ]

Please do a new Scan on this machine, using Malwarebytes for Windows.

To run a Threat Scan, open Malwarebytes for Windows and click the blue Scan button.

Have patience during the run.

When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.

Then click on Quarantine selected.

Then, locate the Scan run report;  export out a copy;  & then attach in with your  reply.

See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

[    3   ]

The Microsoft Safety Scanner  is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that  can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system.

The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Let me know the result of this.

The log is named MSERT.log 

the log will be at  %SYSTEMROOT%\debug\msert.log   which in most cases is

C:\Windows\debug\msert.log

Please attach that log with your reply.

Let me know how things are overall.   Let me know if you need other help.

Cheers,

Okay here is the malwarebytes log im downloding msert now.

And also im sorry for slow replys i didnt have internet connection these few days

log2.txt

Thank you for the latest scan report from Malwarebytes for Windows.  Very excellent report.   No malware here.

I believe we can close this case.   Is there any other help you need  at this point ?

The laptop still wont run programs:

That require gpu (like games) and wont run other programs like win rar for some reason

Posted (edited)

As to Winrar,   uuninstall it  & then do a new install.

What other program do not run  & exactly where are they stored or saved ?   e.g. program-folder location  & by any chance, were any of them recently download ?

and just exactly what message does Windows show when you try to start the program ?

My view is that there is no current malware.  at least 4 different scans have been run to check for malware.

with Malwarebytes for Windows

with Malwarebytes Anti-rootkit   ( MBAR )

with MS Safety Scanner

with ESET Online scanner

Edited by Maurice Naggar
updated

It just says (program name) has stopped working.

And i also attempted to download winrar and it says winrar unistal has stoped working

Tell me as much detail as possible.

Is that the one and only thing ?

Where did you get the WINRAR ?   I need the full link address.  Winrar can be got from several sources.

Did you save the setup-file-for Winrar ?    where did you save it ?

Also, what web browser did you use to do the file download ?

You write that you are trying to install Winrar.   It should not, it seems to me, that it should not be trying a "un-install"

By the way, as a reminder,  the purpose of this sub-forum is to hunt for malware & remove malware if found.

I do not think this pc has a infection at this point.   It seems more like glitches in Windows or else, some specific  phase somehow went sideways when trying to install Winrar.

It could be file issue with the download.  It could be something else a bit off-base in Windows.

I very well may be sending you to other sources for help.   This sub-forum is not for general Windows issues.  It is for "malware removal".

I truly need to know just where the "winrar" file is saved plus,  I need a very fresh FRST report.

The FRST is on the Downloads folder.  I had asked that you Rename it to ENGLISHFRST.   This is the file C:\Users\Dell\Downloads\ENGLISHFRST.exe

Run report with ENGLISHFRST

Right-click on ENGLISHFRST icon and select Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run.

Click YES when prompted by Windows U A C prompt to allow it to run.    Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows 7  by clicking on Continue or Yes. 
Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info & followup & choose Run anyway.

Click Yes when the* disclaimer* appears in FRST.
The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use.

Make sure that Addition options is *checked* - the configuration should look exactly like on the screen below (do not mark additional things unless asked).
Press Scan button and wait.

image.png.11d5dc653f1af8aca009e0a1c9410cb3.png

The tool will produce 2  logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt , Addition.txt 
Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files.

Please attach these 2 files to your next reply.

Thank you.

Hey im in a hospital again so i will do the scans once im out of the hospital

Hi.  Just to let you know that I did get your last reply, that you were in hospital.     I hope & wish you a quick recovery.  Your health is the first & most important priority.

Sincerely,

Maurice

Hello @pootis

Just following up to see how things are. We'll go ahead and close your topic but once  you're back and ready to take a look at this again please just let us know and we'll be happy to assist.

Take care and stay safe