pootis

Old Dell Inspiron 9400 Laptop won't run some programs

so hello there it seems that i have so sort of  virus or a error on my old laptop(dell inspiron 9400)

So the problem is some programs wont run they just crash and some icons disapeared.

I belive its a virus so little help???

Hi,  @pootis   :welcome:

My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.

Let me know what first name you prefer to go by.

Please follow my directions as we go along.  Please do not do any changes on your own without first checking with me.

If you will be away for more than 3 consecutive days,  do try to let me know ahead of time, as much as possible.

Please only just attach   all report files, etc  that I ask for as we go along.

I can help you to see that this machine is free of malware.   To that end, we can run a series of scans using different tools.

Once we determine there is no malware,  I may refer you elsewhere to get further help as needed.

The prime goal being to check for malware.

I would appreciate  getting some key details from this machine in order to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Do have patience while the report tool runs.  It may take several minutes.  Just let it run & take its time.  You may want to close your other open windows so that there is a clear field of view.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support-1.5.4.760.exe  to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Please know I help here as a volunteer.  and that I am not on 24 x 7.

Help on this forum is one to one.   Again, please be sure to ONLY attach report files  with your reply (s)  as we go along.  Do not do a copy / paste into main body.

Thank you,

Sincerely.

hello you may call me Peter and thank you for your reply

I tryed to run the program you sent me and it says .NET 4.0 updates are reqiured, but not defected on this machine.

Please check for the latest .NET updates using windows update and then try again.

What should i do now try to update my laptop or do something else???

Hi Peter.

Let's go ahead and get a different report set.

I would like to have you run a report tool known as FRST. This has no personal information. It is a well-known & widely used &safe.
FRST will help provide me with a list of installed programs and other information about your computer that will help me see if there are any other problems that are not being detected. Please follow the steps below to run FRST.

1: Please download FRST from the link below and save it to your desktop:

"Download link for 32-Bit version Windows"

"Download link for 64-Bit Version Windows"

Please wait and look toward the top or bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save.
Click Save to save the file version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Run report with FRST

Right-click on FRST icon and select Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run.

_Windows 8 or 10 users will be prompted about Windows *SmartScreen protection* - click line More info information on that screen and click button Run anyway on next screen._

Click YES when prompted by Windows U A C prompt to allow it to run.
Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info & followup & choose Run anyway.

Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes. 

Click Yes when the* disclaimer* appears in FRST.
The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use.

Make sure that Addition options is *checked* - the configuration should look exactly like on the screen below (do not mark additional things unless asked).
Press Scan button and wait.

image.png.2fc1abce79fd7c607f2ee3d978aeff5a.png

The tool will produce 2  logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt , Addition.txt 
Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files.

Please attach these 2 files to your next reply.

Thank you.

Thanks for the reports.  This machine has Malwarebytes version 3.5.1.2522 

That is a very old version.   Is this the free program ?  or else do you have a license for that ?

I ask and need the answer because we need to get this cleaned out & the very latest version 4.0.4 installed.

Let me know if you have a Premium license or not.

Thanks.

Also, is this your machine or is it someone else's.

I see that Avast antivirus is installed.  Have you done a scan with Avast yet ?

Hi Peter.

I look forward to your answer from my preceding reply.

Meanwhile,   

Let's proceed and do these next 2 special scans.   Take your time.  Do have patience while they run.

[    1     ]

Please read all of these lines first so that it is all clear to you about our plan. I need a one time run of MBAR like listed here, please.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit (MBAR) from this link here

and save it to your desktop.

Doubleclick on the MBAR file and allow it to run.

•Click OK on the next screen, to allow the package to extract the contents of the file to its own folder named mbar.

•mbar.exe will launch automatically. On some systems, this may take a few extra seconds. Please be patient and wait for the program to open.

•After reading the Introduction, click 'Next' if you agree.

•On the Update Database screen, click on the 'Update' button.

•Once you see 'Success: Database was successfully updated' click on 'Next', then click the Scan button.

With some infections, you may see two messages boxes:

1.'Could not load protection driver'. Click 'OK'.
2.'Could not load DDA driver'. Click 'Yes' to this message, to allow the driver to load after a restart. Allow the computer to restart. Continue with the rest of these instructions.

•If malware is found, press the Cleanup button when the scan completes. .

Please attach the log it produces, you'll find the log in that mbar folder as MBAR-log-<date and time>***.txt . Please attach that to your next reply.

[   2   ]

The Microsoft Safety Scanner  is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that  can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system.

The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Let me know the result of this.

The log is named MSERT.log 

the log will be at  %SYSTEMROOT%\debug\msert.log   which in most cases is

C:\Windows\debug\msert.log

Please attach that log with your reply.

So i tryed to update malwarebytes and it said update failed and malwarebytes now says unable to connect to service.

Avast also reqiures a update but once it starts updating it gets stuck on 0%

And the microsoft safety scanner says error occured and it just closes

mbar-log-2020-02-23 (08-31-43).txt

Thank you for the MBAR report.

Let's take a few minutes & take care of getting a newer Microsoft .Net Framework

Please download and try to install the following .NET installer. If there is an error during the installation please get a screen shot and record the error details

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 offline installer for Windows
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=863265

Let me know how that goes.   Let me know when that is done.   

Hey im sorry for not responding im in a hospital i will do what you asked me to do once im out of this hospital

And also im using win7 and can you give me a recommendation on what to use for a screenshot in case of errors

You said you are in a Hospital.   Please take care of yourself first.   Your health is job one.

Use the following how-to article  ( "take a Screenshot on Windows" )
https://lifehacker.com/how-to-take-a-screenshot-or-picture-of-whats-on-your-co-5825771

Hello im back from the hospital i tryed updating the .Net and it didnt work.

Here is the log it left file:///C:/Users/Dell/AppData/Local/Temp/Microsoft%20.NET%20Framework%204.7.2%20Setup_20200227_172339687.htmlcut.PNG.b594745118988d3bb17ca0341d6d6bb0.PNG

This Windows 7 on this machine has language setting other than English.  That is fine for you.  But I need to have the FRST report tool to report in English.

You have FRST.exe  on the Downloads folder   .... C:\Users\Dell\Downloads

Go to that folder.  Find FRST.exe   then do a RIGHT-click on it with your mouse & then choose RENAME

and then Rename it to ENGLISHFRST.exe

Then, I would like for you to generate a new report set so that I can review, please.

Run report with ENGLISHFRST

Right-click on ENGLISHFRST    and select    Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run.

_Windows 8 or 10 users will be prompted about Windows *SmartScreen protection* - click line More info information on that screen and click button Run anyway on next screen._

Click YES when prompted by Windows U A C prompt to allow it to run.
Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info & followup & choose Run anyway.

Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes. 

Click Yes when the* disclaimer* appears in FRST.
The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use.

Make sure that Addition options is *checked* - the configuration should look exactly like on the screen below (do not mark additional things unless asked).
Press Scan button and wait.

image.png.f6399aac7ecb2dc029a6ea9f09356fd1.png

The tool will produce 2  logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt , Addition.txt 
Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files.

Please attach these 2 files to your next reply.

Thank you.

Thank you for the fresh FRST reports.   These reports do not show the presence of some infection.

I suspect that this Windows system may have an issue related to the Windows installer service.

Let us do the following custom procedure.   ( there will be more to do later on )

Please Close and Save any open work you may have open.

Please close as many un-needed app-windows that you yourself may have open at this point.   So you can have a clear field of view.

This custom script is for  pootis    only / for this machine only.

Close and save any open work files before starting this procedure. 

Please Close and save any open work files before you start this next step.  It will involve a Windows Restart at the end of it.

I am sending a   custom Fix script which is going to be used by the ENGLISHFRST tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE  link AS and save it directly ( as is) to the  Downloads  folder

The tool named ENGLISHFRST.exe   tool    is already on the Downloads folder

Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the Downloads folder.

RIGHT click on  ENGLISHFRST    and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.

to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.

IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen

and click button Run anyway on next screen.

on the FRST window:
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

image.png.69ab5e98f3403d63a24efef597d15159.png

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. This run here should be fairly quick.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

Fixlist.txt

also i noticed in the log it says pristup odbijen that means acces denied 

Thanks for the report.   The System File Checker tool made a run and it reports   a good status.   That was frankly one of the main goals of this run.

There perhaps may be a issue with one or two specific Windows services.   But that is not from a infection.

Which leads me to ask, have you always had this machine as your own ?

How long have you had this Windows 7 ?

and

Have you only used the Malwarebytes as a free program?

I am surprised that this machine has the Malwarebytes version 3.5.1, which is quite very old one.   Somehow, I do not understand how it would have missed many prompts to upgrade over these past few years.

How often did you use Malwarebytes ?

The current version of Malwarebytes is version 4.   Let us see about getting the latest version of the Malwarebytes for Windows program.

Please prepare by first closing any open work; saving any work in progress. Close them so you can have better view.

Ideally, if possible, do a Windows Restart. Then proceed to download then save, and only then run the setup file.

Please use this link

download and save the setup file . It will automatically download. Just SAVE first.

1.    RIGHT-click mb4-setup-consumer-4.0.4.117-1.0.810-1.0.18432.exe & select “Run as Administrator”   to start the Malwarebytes for Windows setup.
2.    Follow the installation instructions to complete setup.

Watch all of the process. Have lots of patience.
Let me know how it goes. When setup has completed, my suggestion is always to do a Windows Restart.

Please let me know how this goes.

So i had this pc from 2014 i have bought it from another person.

I used malarebytes few times and frist time i did a scan it found about 160 viruses.

I did a scan now and it says its clear from malware

So this machine used to be owned by someone else.  Have you always had Malwarebytes Premium installed on this machine ?

I am relieved that the installation of the latest Malwarebytes for Windows did succeed.   It should now have Malwarebytes version 4.0.4  or else 4.1.0

I very much need a copy of the last Scan report.

Locate the Scan run report;  export out a copy;  & then attach in with your  reply.

See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

also, lets go ahead and do a different scan.  This system runs Windows 7 & so I am concerned about the security state of it.  As you most likely know, Microsoft is no longer providing new security patches for Windows 7.

I would suggest a free scan with the ESET Online Scanner
Go to https://www.eset.com/us/home/online-scanner/

Look on the right side of the page.  Click Scan Now
It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner_enu.exe"
Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.

Go to the saved file, and double click it to get it started.
When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".

Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes

When prompted for scan type, Click on Full scan
Look at & un-tick   the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"   and click on Start scan button.

Have patience.  The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.
There is a progress window display.
You should ignore all prompts to get the ESET antivirus software program.   ( e.g.  their standard program).   You do not need to buy or get or install anything else.

When the scan is completed, if something was found, it will show a screen with the number of detected items.  If so, click the button marked “View detected results”.

Click The blue “Save scan log” to save the log.

If something was removed and you know it is a false finding, you may click on the blue ”Restore cleaned files”  ( in blue, at bottom).

Press Continue when all done.  You should click to off the offer for “periodic scanning”.

i cant locate the malwarebytes log files.

And i will do the eset scan later cause its a bit late 

Posted (edited)

This article on Malwabytes Support site describes where the Malwarebytes scan reports are & how you can Export them out

See https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479194-View-Reports-and-History-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

On the Eset scan, just get it and start it when you are finished using the pc  and just kick it off and let it run   ( once you have it going ).

That is to say, allow it to run this night and over-night

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected font issue