Resolving Host issue

On 2/27/2020 at 10:44 AM, PeteTheBiker said:

I run Windows 10, Norton Internet Security and Malwarebytes Premium and Chrome - all fully updated.  I am having exactly the same problem with 'Resolving Host' and have fixed it by turning off Web Protection.  Hardly an ideal fix!

Pete

In order to try to repeat the problem and run the scan per post #20 I have left Mawarebytes Premium fully active for the last two days and so far the problem has not repeated, despite me using the pc in the usual way which would normally have caused the problem to reappear.

i will report back if/when the problem returns.

Pete

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you wish to try installing the latest version of Malwarebytes again to see if it fixes the problem then please do the following so that you are sure to get a clean install:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

Close to the bottom of the gdata-software download page, there is a AVCleaner tool:

"You need this tool to completely uninstall your G DATA security solution (e.g. to reinstall it). AntiVirus Cleaner deletes from your system all remains of the program which were not removed by a simple uninstall."

This is probably the best approach for removing left-overs.

On 2/29/2020 at 10:02 AM, PeteTheBiker said:

In order to try to repeat the problem and run the scan per post #20 I have left Mawarebytes Premium fully active for the last two days and so far the problem has not repeated, despite me using the pc in the usual way which would normally have caused the problem to reappear.

i will report back if/when the problem returns.

Pete

I spoke too soon - the problem returned the next day.

As requested, on two separate occasions I have tried to run the Support Tool / Advanced / Gather logs while the problem existed - the result was the same - it gets through 'Collect Logs' (slowly) and then hangs at the Run FRST stage (I left it running for 5 hours while I was out this morning).

The support tool runs properly when the Resolving Hots problem is not in evidence.

To clear the problem I run the following in CMD.exe as Administrator:-

ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ip reset

Then reboot.

The problem typically then clears until the machine is switched off overnight and then restarted.  The browser then works normally until about the time that the daily scan finishes, when the Resolving Host issue returns.

I hope that helps

Pete

I was seeing a similar 'Resolving Host' issue in Chrome and Chromium based browsers but I eliminated MalwareBytes from being the cause.  Last night I installed two MS Updates for Windows 10 v1909 that I have installed on my desktop (I've not seen the issue on my laptop with similar software installed).  Subsequently the issue has disappeared.

2 minutes ago, tomorrowsman said:

Also having the Resolving Host issue in Chrome with the latest builds of Chrome, Malwarebytes Premium, and Windows 10. Please provide an update as this is counterproductive.

We need to get information from this machine in order to have the proper detail to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system and is only available to authorized members and the original poster. 

Can you please follow the directions from the following KB article and post back your logs so that we can review

Upload Malwarebytes Support Tool logs manually

Thank you

29 minutes ago, tomorrowsman said:

Please explain what data mining you will be doing in these "logs" that are required.  The issue is widespread and repeatable, so I'm not sure why my machine needs to be data-mined.

To assist any one with Malwarebytes issues on this forum, We do not know about your computer or the Malwarebytes installation state and the only way is to get logs for review.

Just because it seems any issue is "widespread" each computer is different when it comes to software and hardware configuration. The logs also assist the developers correct issues as well.

If you do not want to be part of the solution no problem but after all the work it too create an account here I just assumed you would like some assistance and not just be a me too poster.

To recap on my experience:-

• I run Windows 10, Norton Internet Security and Malwarebytes Premium and Chrome - all fully updated.  I am having exactly the same problem with 'Resolving Host' and have been able to temporarily fix it by turning off Web Protection.
  • I do not use a VPN, and use Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)
  • My scan is scheduled for the default 2:06am time
  • This setup worked fine until 2 or three weeks ago
  • When Web Protection is switched onResolving Host arises each day after the daily automatic scan completes i.e. soon after I start my pc at around 7am
  • Until the scan completes Chrome works OK
  • Rebooting the pc clears the problem until the next day
  • I have tried Using the Support Tool for Advanced / Clean (per Exile360 post #33) to remove and reinstall Malwarebytes, which has not fixed the problem.
  • I have tried running the Support Tool / Advanced / Gather Logs while the Resolving Host problem exists, but the Tool takes around 4 to 5 minutes to run Collect Logs, and then hangs indefinitely at the Run FRST stage (when Resolving Host is not in evidence it take 30 seconds for Collect Logs and 4 minutes to Run FRST)

I have attached the Logs for when Chrome IS working properly in the hope that this will help you.

mbst-grab-results.zip

1 hour ago, PeteTheBiker said:

To recap on my experience:-

• I run Windows 10, Norton Internet Security and Malwarebytes Premium and Chrome - all fully updated.  I am having exactly the same problem with 'Resolving Host' and have been able to temporarily fix it by turning off Web Protection.
  • I do not use a VPN, and use Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)
  • My scan is scheduled for the default 2:06am time
  • This setup worked fine until 2 or three weeks ago
  • When Web Protection is switched onResolving Host arises each day after the daily automatic scan completes i.e. soon after I start my pc at around 7am
  • Until the scan completes Chrome works OK
  • Rebooting the pc clears the problem until the next day
  • I have tried Using the Support Tool for Advanced / Clean (per Exile360 post #33) to remove and reinstall Malwarebytes, which has not fixed the problem.
  • I have tried running the Support Tool / Advanced / Gather Logs while the Resolving Host problem exists, but the Tool takes around 4 to 5 minutes to run Collect Logs, and then hangs indefinitely at the Run FRST stage (when Resolving Host is not in evidence it take 30 seconds for Collect Logs and 4 minutes to Run FRST)

I have attached the Logs for when Chrome IS working properly in the hope that this will help you.

mbst-grab-results.zip 1.43 MB · 2 downloads

After posting this I realised that Malwarebytes might not have restarted after the last roboot.  Updated zip file attached.

Pete

mbst-grab-results.zip

You might try the recently released beta built to see if it helps at all.  Several users have reported success with it in resolving several performance and compatibility issues, particularly with Kaspersky products however it is possible the changes they made to correct those issues also impact this and other issues so I believe it is worth trying on your system if you haven't already.  To do so, open Malwarebytes and navigate to settings by clicking the small gear icon in the upper right area then scroll down the General tab and enable the option for installing beta updates then scroll back to the top of the same tab and click the Check for updates button and allow Malwarebytes to download and install the beta, then restart your system and test to see if the situation has improved.  You can ensure that you have the beta by checking the About tab which should show 1.0.835 for the Component package version as listed in the image below:

CU.png.62765abaa998eeead92df39c409e6dcf.png

35 minutes ago, exile360 said:

You might try the recently released beta built to see if it helps at all.  Several users have reported success with it in resolving several performance and compatibility issues, particularly with Kaspersky products however it is possible the changes they made to correct those issues also impact this and other issues so I believe it is worth trying on your system if you haven't already.  To do so, open Malwarebytes and navigate to settings by clicking the small gear icon in the upper right area then scroll down the General tab and enable the option for installing beta updates then scroll back to the top of the same tab and click the Check for updates button and allow Malwarebytes to download and install the beta, then restart your system and test to see if the situation has improved.  You can ensure that you have the beta by checking the About tab which should show 1.0.835 for the Component package version as listed in the image below:

CU.png.62765abaa998eeead92df39c409e6dcf.png

Thanks - but that's the one I already have.

Pete

@PeteTheBiker

I would like you to try 2 things,

1- Turn off Windows Fast Start.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

2- Remove all scheduled scans and do no scans for a week.

I have had a few clients with slow internet that this is working for.

On a side note.

I would  also recommend creating exclusions between Malwarebytes and Your AV to help prevent any possible conflicts or performance issues.  Please add the items listed in this support article to Your AV 's allow list(s)/trust list(s)/exclusion list(s) particularly for any of its real-time protection components and likewise add Your AV 's program folder(s) (likely located under C:\Program Files and/or C:\Program Files (x86)) to Malwarebytes' Allow List using the method described under the Allow a file or folder section of this support article and do the same for its primary data folder which is likely located under C:\ProgramData (you may need to show hidden files and folders to see it).

Hello:
I've been having this same issue for several months.  The symptoms/observations I have are as follows:

1. After several days, I have trouble accessing the internet due to extremely slow "resolving host" issues.

2. Host resolution occurs when using my browser (chrome), as well as when I use the "ping" tool from a command prompt.

3. However, if I use nslookup, host resolution is immediate.

4. To resolve the problem, I simply reboot and it goes away for several days only to eventually resurface.

5. Just to completely rule out some sort of DNS server issue, I've changed from comcast dns to google and it does not help.

=======

Conclusion:

Either a Microsoft update has somehow affected by computer.  However, due to the apparent absence of this issue on Microsoft Forums and google searches, I think that this is unlikely unless the issue is specific to a small set of computer configurations.  As I read this article, it seems more likely that the culprit is Maleware bytes - but I've done no testing of this theory.

Anyhow, I too have a slow host resolution problem and I welcome help in trying to overcome the issue.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I might be able to offer a small clue: I've been having the exact same DNS problem for a few months...and I don't use MBAM (sorry!).

I'm on win/64 + WiFi + Chrome + Avast (free) + Acronis ransomware protection. I do NOT update Windows (...). My Chrome sessions go crazy every few days, with many sites not resolving DNS or resolving very slowly..including Google itself. This has been happening since a few months ago, but it has become very annoying, several times per day now. For a while I thought it might be linked to using Qbitorrent and bad actors trying to attack my torrent connections. But no, even with Qbitorrent off and rebooting the system, I still get this issue. I was suspecting a corrupted Chrome add-on (it feels like a memory-leak type of bug: working fine at first, and gradually becoming worse until unusable) and started to update my usual suspects: CrapCleaner, MBAM free, etc to check if I had any problem apps.

I landed here while trying to update my old MBAM, and I am relieved to see I'm not alone. Avast be might intercepting connections and causing similar DNS errors, perhaps because of a similar defense mechanism approach? I'll go & check over there.

A few more suggestions:
1) if not a memory leak, it might be a sort of DOS attack. When it happens the browser is stuck trying to resolve sites that were loading fine 30 seconds before (eg trying to go to next page on a multi-page text), as if the DNS cache was corrupted.

2) My mobile phone which is on same WiFi has no connection problem at all, so issue is not with router or internet link. 
Youtube is able to continue streaming/playing in same browser, at the same time as other sites are completely stuck resolving (doesn't make sense, but it might give a clue to someone?).
I am able to fix the problem by unplugging the WiFi USB antenna and plugging it back (flushing DNS only works sometimes and is less and less effective; removing antenna so far is 100% effective - but disabling WiFi via taskbar is not good enough. Something deep inside the OS needs to flush in order to restore the DNS resolution properly)

I'll report back here if MBAM free finds something

I found one of my clients having this resolving host issue and the pc had Avast Premium and Malwarebytes Pro running and i jumped the gun and blamed Avast! I put Avast in passive mode and the issue stopped so i figured this was some sort of conflict but i was on the fence since i have a couple terminals running Malwarebytes pro and Avast Premium as well but those computers didnt have this issue.

Anyway .. leaving Avast in passive mode permanently was not and option as Avast has firewalls and other features that get disabled when in passive mode so i found disabling the Malwarebytes web protection has done the trick for now. Im hopeful Malwarebytes finds the issue and patches it so i can turn the web protection back on. Has anyone tried disabling IPV6? If this crops up again im gonna try that and turning off scheduled scans as well. 

I always disable all IPv6 functionality, including all of Microsoft's 6-to-4 stuff for the sake of security since I do not use IPv6 and it hasn't been widely adopted or secured yet (there are known outstanding security issues/vulnerabilities which are not shared by IPv4 which have yet to be resolved last I checked).  I do know that there are issues with some systems with Web Protection and IPv6, so if disabling it helps please let us know.

Thanks