• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Nazoman said:

I've recently switched to the new Edge and the problem still persists. Chrome was a nightmare with memory usage. Edge is so much better behaved. 

How's the security with Edge? Stand-alone, does it offer the same protection as my Chrome with all my extensions? Or, would I need to add some?

I don't think malwarebytes will ever resolve this issue. It's been several months, and they have nothing. I am going to change to something different.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Steel said:

I don't think malwarebytes will ever resolve this issue. It's been several months, and they have nothing. I am going to change to something different.

I am sorry you are one of the ones who experience this hard to track issue.

You were offered a workaround when you jumped into the other topic you posted in. This issue does not happen to everyone so it is extremely hard to track down.

You are free to move on as it is your computer.  I personally understand. Issiues are a pain to deal with.

But you can follow the following re-posted instructions to revert to a version that does not have the issue.

You also have the option of reverting to an earlier component package version, which will allow you to keep Protection enabled.
You can download this from here: https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/z6cravnwptrzx5tyjw36jq6zt6c7apsx

Once installed, you will need to disable the two update options found in Settings -> General -> Application updates to prevent the product from updating back to the affected version.

I suggest using the following clean install guide.

Please do the following Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install. Say no and use the download from my above link and install the old version and disable the update before you do anything else.

Edited by Porthos
2 hours ago, Steel said:

The first step in possibly resolving the issue is to do a clean removal and reinstall of the program using our MBST tool. For many people, this resolves the issue. For those that it does not resolve the issue then you may want to try enabling the Beta downloads from within Settings, General.

If the latest beta also does not correct the issue, then please gather logs to help us track down and resolve the issue.

STEP 1
Please do the following Uninstall and reinstall Malwarebytes using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install.

Enable the Beta under General settings. Then check for updates again and restart the computer.

Let us know if that clears up the issue or not.

If STEP 1 did not help then please restart the computer and  proceed to STEP 2 so that we can get logs to help us determine the cause

STEP 2
When the issue occurs, do you have a VPN or any other network filtering software enabled (besides Malwarebytes)?
Does this issue consistently present itself when Web Protection is enabled?
Does the issue occur when you are not using Bittorent, qBittorrent, or any other P2P torrent software?

We're in need of additional information to help narrow down the cause of this issue.
Part of this process will involve manually triggering a crash to obtain a memory dump, which will hopefully show what the Web Protection driver is doing to cause this issue. You can read more about this process here.

Once you've reproduced the issue and are actively experiencing it, force a crash by pressing the following keys at the same time: Left Ctrl+Left Alt+U+U.

After the machine has rebooted, you should find a memory dump named MEMORY.dmp in C:\Windows. Please zip this up and provide it to us.

Please follow the directions from the following topic:  Upload Malwarebytes Support Tool logs offline and upload that new log as well on your next reply

STEP 3 (if step 1 did not help and you do not wish to participate in step 2)

Option 1: Disable Web Protection via the tray icon

Option 2: Revert to Malwarebytes 4 CU1 and disable program updates until the next beta is available

Step 1:  Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool but do not allow the program to reinstall after the reboot. Decline the install
Step 2; Download Malwarebytes 4 CU1 and install it
Step 3: Open Malwarebytes, click the wheel image.png (top right) for Settings, General, then disable Application updates.     

image.png

Step 4: Restart the computer

We do not offer or provide any type of support for version 3.x as it is well beyond the end of life policy.

Thank you

Just downloaded the current update(7-13-20) to version 4.1.2.73  package 1.0.26779  component package 1.0.979.

Turned Web Protection back on(been off for about 4 months).

After 30 mins(before bad sound would start within 10 mins), I'm having good sound, and my PCI/PCI-e bandwidth usage is way down to about .04%.

I'm going to play audio for a few hours and post back with results later. 

Been about 4 hours with good sound and no system slow down or lock-up. Looks like the latest update fixed the issue. Thanks Technos!

Whoops, spoke too soon, the bad sound has returned, and PCI/PCI-e bandwidth usage has gone up to 1.82%, after about a day of good sound. I've got web protection turned off again. 

16 minutes ago, tkmops said:

Whoops, spoke too soon, the bad sound has returned, and PCI/PCI-e bandwidth usage has gone up to 1.82%, after about a day of good sound. I've got web protection turned off again. 

How about posting a new set of logs from the support tool.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support xxx.xx.exe to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

29 minutes ago, Porthos said:

How about posting a new set of logs from the support tool.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support xxx.xx.exe to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

OK, attached.

mbst-grab-results.zip

1 minute ago, tkmops said:

OK, attached.

All I can say is you need another restart. There a ton of file renames pending. Other than that, I do not have any clients on Windows 7 so I cant offer any other advice. @AdvancedSetup can be of more assistance.

Pending File Rename Operations
==================================
C:\PROGRAMDATA\MALWAREBYTES\MBAMSERVICE\IrisPlugins\mbam_modal_vpn_r01.1.0.0.x64.dll
C:\PROGRAMDATA\MALWAREBYTES\MBAMSERVICE\IrisPlugins\mbam_modal_wfm_r01.1.0.3.x64.dll
C:\PROGRAMDATA\MALWAREBYTES\MBAMSERVICE\IrisPlugins\TrayPlugin.EXPT-58.x64.dll       
C:\PROGRAMDATA\MALWAREBYTES\MBAMSERVICE\IrisPlugins\mbam_modal_vpn_r01.1.0.0.x64.dll
C:\PROGRAMDATA\MALWAREBYTES\MBAMSERVICE\IrisPlugins\mbam_modal_wfm_r01.1.0.3.x64.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\Install\{8A930205-DE4B-4CB8-B5DD-A7BD88CFD001}  
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\Install\{8A930205-DE4B-4CB8-B5DD-A7BD88CFD001} 

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

All I can say is you need another restart. There a ton of file renames pending. Other than that, I do not have any clients on Windows 7 so I cant offer any other advice. @AdvancedSetup can be of more assistance.

Pending File Rename Operations
==================================

OK, will do as soon as I can...might be awhile

Hello @tkmops

Looking at your logs I can see that you have a very old installation of Windows and some very old software running that really shouldn't be running anymore. I would like to suggest that you allow me to help you clean up your computer some and I'm guessing it's probably also behind on Windows updates as some new ones also came out today.

We can do via a new topic you create in this forum:  https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/7-windows-malware-removal-help-support/

or if you like I can assist you via Private Messenger

Thanks

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @tkmops

Looking at your logs I can see that you have a very old installation of Windows and some very old software running that really shouldn't be running anymore. I would like to suggest that you allow me to help you clean up your computer some and I'm guessing it's probably also behind on Windows updates as some new ones also came out today.

We can do via a new topic you create in this forum:  https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/7-windows-malware-removal-help-support/

or if you like I can assist you via Private Messenger

Thanks

Thanks for offering to help update my system. What should I make the subject...something like 'For AdvancedSetup'?