tkmops

Malwarebytes causing bad sound?

I have the latest drivers, and Win updates. This has been going on since Feb 2020, hopefully the Malwarebytes technos are still working on this issue. I've still got 'web protection' turned off all the time.

I've been having the same issue of audio crackling for months. It's been driving me crazy. I have been tirelessly updating all drivers, removing old drivers, etc. I got to the point where I bought an asus pcie sound card instead of using the onboard realtek audio. Finally, I reformatted my machine with a clean install of windows 10. The issue still does not go away! If my pc is on for 6+ hours, audio crackling comes back. If I reboot it, it goes away for about another 6 hours.

I realized this week that this whole time, the issue was malwarebytes web protection. I can turn it off and the issue goes away immediately. I've disabled the feature and the issue has been gone for a week now.

Based on reading this thread, malwarebytes support does not really acknowledge the issue, and are instead pointing the blame at end users and drivers. Malwarebytes is a great product, but if it stays broken, I will have to switch to something that works properly. There is no excuse for this.

They acknowledge it, they just can't fix it. I'm paying yearly for three licenses. If it isn't fixed soon I'm not renewing.

@Steel@Nazoman

You also have the option of reverting to an earlier component package version, which will allow you to keep Web Protection enabled.
You can download this from here: https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/z6cravnwptrzx5tyjw36jq6zt6c7apsx

Once installed, you will need to disable the two update options found in Settings -> General -> Application updates to prevent the product from updating back to the affected version.

I suggest using the following clean install guide.

Please do the following Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install. Say no and use the download from my above link and install the old version and disable the update before you do anything else.

Porthos:While what you suggest might resolve the sound issue, wouldn't that leave a 'hole' in our protection? Or do the updated virus/malware prevention measures reside in other updates? Or, in other words,  will 'reverting to an earlier component package version' keep us protected from all current malware, or will there be a gap in our protection? 

9 minutes ago, tkmops said:

Porthos:While what you suggest might resolve the sound issue, wouldn't that leave a 'hole' in our protection? Or do the updated virus/malware prevention measures reside in other updates? Or, in other words,  will 'reverting to an earlier component package version' keep us protected from all current malware, or will there be a gap in our protection? 

It is close enough because you will be able to have all of the protection enabled and not have to keep web protection off. Definitions are the same on all the versions.

Ah, yes, 'definitions' was the word I was looking for. Thanks for the fast response.

I just started having audio issues within the past week. This is most obvious when watching a video in any browser. There will be a very brief pop/crackling sound and the audio will be slightly out of sync from the video (I also experienced these popping sounds when talking to friends via VOIP applications). This popping will repeat every minute or so and continue to cause the audio to go out of sync further with each occurrence. Pausing/playing the video will re-sync the audio and video, but of course this would get annoying to do every minute. I resorted to a reboot of my computer, which would prevent the issue from happening again for about a day.

After a few days of dealing with this, I noticed that it was malwarebytes possibly contributing to this issue. Whenever the popping sound happened, I noticed a slight spike in MBAM service's CPU usage (the CPU usage itself was not unusual, just the fact that it happened the exact moment of every popping sound). After some trial and error, I came to the conclusion that it was something to do with the web protection. I toggled the web protection off and back on, and this would stop the popping sound/audio sync issues for about a day.

I will try the steps AdvancedSetup posted earlier to help with tracking down this issue, but I don't know how much help it would be. I see mention of Realtek audio drivers, which I also have (motherboard is an ASUS Z170-A -- using onboard sound). Maybe that is our problem, although I have no idea what changed for me to start having this issue... I did not update any drivers.

3 hours ago, marka2049 said:

I noticed that it was malwarebytes possibly contributing to this issue.

If you disable web protection does the issue stop?

On 5/7/2020 at 2:58 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @denisfou and @XREnder

Please try the following STEPS

STEP 1
Please do the following Uninstall and reinstall Malwarebytes using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install.

Let us know if that clears up the issue or not.

If STEP 1 did not help then please restart the computer and  proceed to STEP 2 so that we can get logs to help us determine the cause

I had already done this process once before coming here but ran it again and have not had the issue since.  It's been just over a week.

20 hours ago, Porthos said:

If you disable web protection does the issue stop?

Yes. I disable it then enable it again after a couple minutes. It will stop the issue for about a day. At least I don't notice it occurring again until the next day or so

43 minutes ago, marka2049 said:

Yes. I disable it then enable it again after a couple minutes.

Keep Web protection OFF. Do not turn it back on. That is the current workaround.

I removed the program fully using the support tool (twice), I do not have the Chrome extension and I am still having the issue.

As mentioned before this is likely due to the Realtek sound driver.

Steel changed his sound card and still had the issue and that is most likely because he did not disable the driver in device manager. If he or someone else with another sound card option can try that we will get closer to fixing the issue.

Reverting to the old version of MB has eliminated the audio stuttering that I was hearing, primarily while watching YouTube videos on Windows 10! Thank you!

Stuttering would happen very rarely at first, but seemed to happen more and more often as hours and days went on. Stutter might last a fraction of a second, or last up to a couple of seconds. Once and only once my PC locked up, then crashed! Gulp!

This PC is an ASRock Beebox HTPC where the following is the only sound hardware present (details courtesy of HWiNFO): 

Audio Adapter:                Intel Kaby Lake-U/Y PCH - High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Controller Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9D71&SUBSYS_02831849&REV_21
High Definition Audio Codec:  Intel
Audio Codec Hardware ID:      HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_280B&SUBSYS_80860101&REV_1000
Driver Information            
Driver Manufacturer:          Intel(R) Corporation
Driver Description:           Intel(R) Display Audio
Driver Provider:              Intel(R) Corporation
Driver Version:               10.27.0.8
Driver Date:                  20-Jan-2020
DeviceInstanceId              HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_280B&SUBSYS_80860101&REV_1000\4&F33C450&0&0201

After much annoyance and fanfare I tracked the issue down to the onboard Realtek Network Card.

I  previously changed my sound card to a discrete Creative Labs sound card and disabled the onboard Realtek audio device and was still having the problem. The issue was mild after disabling the Network Card but I later found the firmware update below.

The problem went away completely after updating to the new AMD AGESA 1.0.0.5 Firmware delivered through a BIOS update. The changelog items include:

(1) "Resolved an intermittent virtual memory error with Realtek onboard LAN" and;

(2) "Optimized PCIe firmware to improve stability and interoperability".

I have now re-installed the full latest version of Malwarebytes and have no issues.

Thank you for letting us know.  I will be sure to pass this info on to the Product team for analysis, and hopefully this will resolve it for all affected users, assuming an AGESA update is available for all of their systems and they all have the same root cause.

On 5/14/2020 at 2:54 PM, tkmops said:

Ah, yes, 'definitions' was the word I was looking for. Thanks for the fast response.

See my most recent post.

Try updating your Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Driver. A new one was issued today. Now, why on earth would Realtek be updating their network card driver after all this time??

Hope it works. Link here:  https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B75A-G43#down-driver&Win10 64

15 hours ago, exile360 said:

Thank you for letting us know.  I will be sure to pass this info on to the Product team for analysis, and hopefully this will resolve it for all affected users, assuming an AGESA update is available for all of their systems and they all have the same root cause.

No prob. Agesa is for AMD boards only, not Intel, but I am sure if you check, you will see Intel boards with the Realtek network card exhibiting that issue will be getting or have already gotten similarly described updates, even if they don't directly mention Realtek. This is because, some updates are being delivered via "bios updates" while some are directly via Realtek driver like the case in the post immediately above. I hope that helps.  

On 5/14/2020 at 11:45 AM, Steel said:

I've been having the same issue of audio crackling for months. It's been driving me crazy. I have been tirelessly updating all drivers, removing old drivers, etc. I got to the point where I bought an asus pcie sound card instead of using the onboard realtek audio. Finally, I reformatted my machine with a clean install of windows 10. The issue still does not go away! If my pc is on for 6+ hours, audio crackling comes back. If I reboot it, it goes away for about another 6 hours.

I realized this week that this whole time, the issue was malwarebytes web protection. I can turn it off and the issue goes away immediately. I've disabled the feature and the issue has been gone for a week now.

Based on reading this thread, malwarebytes support does not really acknowledge the issue, and are instead pointing the blame at end users and drivers. Malwarebytes is a great product, but if it stays broken, I will have to switch to something that works properly. There is no excuse for this.

I do not think Malwarebytes is to blame. See my previous posts and check if there is a driver or bios update that may solve your problem.

8 hours ago, thedillyo said:

Try updating your Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Driver. A new one was issued today. Now, why on earth would Realtek be updating their network card driver after all this time??

Does seem odd to have an update issued, unless it was for some other reason. However, I do not have a Realtek ethernet card/driver. Unless the issue you had persists across different brand cards... who knows.

cRavrt0.png

2 hours ago, marka2049 said:

Does seem odd to have an update issued, unless it was for some other reason. However, I do not have a Realtek ethernet card/driver. Unless the issue you had persists across different brand cards... who knows.

cRavrt0.png

The message was specifically meant for tkmops' case. For you, it might be worth it to see if there is a recent bios or other chipset update for your motherboard that addresses issues similar to those I mentioned a few posts ago. 

12 hours ago, thedillyo said:

I do not think Malwarebytes is to blame. See my previous posts and check if there is a driver or bios update that may solve your problem.

They put out an update that caused a common, widespread issue that didn't exist under their previous version. They are of course to blame.

6 hours ago, Nazoman said:

They put out an update that caused a common, widespread issue that didn't exist under their previous version. They are of course to blame.

It's not what you believe, its what you can prove.

Read my post (again).

Your results and equipment are not the same as mine, and my results do not match yours. I still have the problem. All my firmware, BIOS, and software updates have been applied to the very latest of everything. I did not have the problem before the MWB update. As with everyone else in this thread from day one going back to just after the MWB update came out, I still have the problem. The update introduced the problem to everyone in this thread. I'm glad you got it resolved, but I didn't.