• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, checked task manager, no mbam services were running. After turning on 'error reporting', and stopping/starting malwarebytes, I wrote in a post(about an hour ago) that my system had slowed down quite a bit..sound was worse than before, mouse moved 'jerky'...then I realized that the 'error reporting' might be using lots of RAM(but task manager showed normal usage). I turned 'error reporting' back off, and now I'm back to 'normal'(meaning that sound is good, for the time being)...I'll see how long it takes to start 'breaking up'. Sheeesh, that 'error reporting' sure took a lot of RAM!      

I suspect that it was the I/O, not RAM usage, that caused the sound to stutter.  The issue is likely related to DPC latency, and somewhere between your sound driver and network driver (which is where Web Protection in Malwarebytes comes into the picture) there exists an issue with interference.  I don't know if there is a fix, however if you haven't updated all of your drivers recently, I'd advise doing so by checking each component manufacturer's website.  If you require assistance in tracking them down let us know and we will assist.  We can check the hardware you have and locate the latest driver for each component, so just let us know if you need help.  Hopefully there is an updated driver with a fix, assuming it doesn't get corrected in Malwarebytes soon.

Sure, I just need the model and manufacturer of your system (assuming it's a prebuilt PC and not a custom box).  For example, is it a Dell, HP, Acer etc.?  It should also have some kind of model number printed on it somewhere, perhaps around the frame or screen bezel if it is a laptop, or perhaps on the bottom.  If it is a desktop, it may have it somewhere on the front of the tower, on a sticker on the back, or on one of the sides.

By the way, I was wondering if disabling/stopping the DNS Client service as described here makes any difference.  The next time the audio issue occurs, would you mind giving that a try and letting us know the result?  It may give a clue as to how the issue occurs if it makes any difference, and if it doesn't then it eliminates another factor.

11 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Sure, I just need the model and manufacturer of your system (assuming it's a prebuilt PC and not a custom box).  For example, is it a Dell, HP, Acer etc.?  It should also have some kind of model number printed on it somewhere, perhaps around the frame or screen bezel if it is a laptop, or perhaps on the bottom.  If it is a desktop, it may have it somewhere on the front of the tower, on a sticker on the back, or on one of the sides.

Yes, custom box...my Network Adapter is Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. Do you need anything else?

A snapshot from the following tool should be sufficient:

Provide System Specifications:

• Please download Speccy from here and run the installer
  • Be sure to uncheck any checkboxes for any offers for any browsers, toolbars, or anything else it might ask to install other than the program itself (let us know if you have any trouble, and take a screenshot of the page of the installer where you're stuck and post it in your reply before proceeding if necessary)
  • Click on the Customize link in the installer and select the options you desire for icons and whether you want Speccy to inform you of updates (I recommend unchecking this option)
  • Once the installer completes, uncheck the box to view the release notes and click the Run Speccy button
  • Once the program starts it will analyze your system, please be patient as it may take a few moments to complete.
  • Once it finishes and none of the areas say Analyzing click on the File button at the top and select Save Snapshot...
  • Save the file to your desktop and click Ok to confirm; you may now close Speccy and uninstall it if you do not wish to keep it
  • Go to your desktop and right click on the file you just created and hover over Send to and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Please attach the zip file you just created to your next post

Thanks

Just now, exile360 said:

A snapshot from the following tool should be sufficient:

• Please download Speccy from here and run the installer
  • Be sure to uncheck any checkboxes for any offers for any browsers, toolbars, or anything else it might ask to install other than the program itself (let us know if you have any trouble, and take a screenshot of the page of the installer where you're stuck and post it in your reply before proceeding if necessary)
  • Click on the Customize link in the installer and select the options you desire for icons and whether you want Speccy to inform you of updates (I recommend unchecking this option)
  • Once the installer completes, uncheck the box to view the release notes and click the Run Speccy button
  • Once the program starts it will analyze your system, please be patient as it may take a few moments to complete.
  • Once it finishes and none of the areas say Analyzing click on the File button at the top and select Save Snapshot...
  • Save the file to your desktop and click Ok to confirm; you may now close Speccy and uninstall it if you do not wish to keep it
  • Go to your desktop and right click on the file you just created and hover over Send to and select Compressed (zipped) Folder

Thanks

I already have Speccy, will run it and post back

Thanks, you'll find the latest downloads for your system here.  I recommend grabbing both the network and HD audio drivers.  It might not hurt to update others, but for now lets start with those two.  I would also recommend installing the latest BIOS if you don't have the latest one installed already, although the last BIOS update for your particular motherboard was back in 2013.

Thanks for the link...have downloaded the audio and LAN drivers... I think my BIOS is current, as the last one they offer is from version 10.10 2013-10-31. I will try to install the two I downloaded. If I don't post back soon, then my PC may have crashed, or I can't get it to boot back up.  

OK, thanks.  Hopefully there won't be any issues.  Updating your drivers shouldn't cause any problems, but you should be able to boot into Safe Mode if you run into trouble.

Looks like both AutoRuns and Speccy have both changed some installation or settings steps @exile360 here is what I have at the moment for future reference if wanted. Though I think you've covered better in text.

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here.
  • Save Autoruns.exe to your desktop and double-click it to run it.
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures and Check VirusTotal.com and Submit Unknown Images
  • Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right-click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

image.png

• Please download Speccy from here and save the installer to your desktop or another location where you can easily find it.
  • Double-click the file to begin installation and follow the onscreen steps to complete the installation and make sure that the checkbox next to Run Speccy is checked before you click on Finish at the end.
  • Save the file to your desktop and click Ok to confirm
  • Go to your desktop and right-click on the file you just created and hover over Send to and select Compressed (zipped) Folder

NOTE: Due to changes from Avast please review the following installer settings

image.png

image.png

Why You Shouldn’t Download CCleaner for Windows Anymore
https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-review/why-you-shouldnt-download-ccleaner-for-windows-anymore/

Here’s What You Should Use Instead of CCleaner
https://www.howtogeek.com/361112/heres-what-you-should-use-instead-of-ccleaner/

Avast (CCleaner, Speccy) Privacy Policy

Thanks

15 hours ago, exile360 said:

By the way, I was wondering if disabling/stopping the DNS Client service as described here makes any difference.  The next time the audio issue occurs, would you mind giving that a try and letting us know the result?  It may give a clue as to how the issue occurs if it makes any difference, and if it doesn't then it eliminates another factor.

For the command 'net stop dnscache' I get 'the quested pause, continue, or stop is not valid for this service. For the second command, 'sc servername stop dnscache' I get access denied. The sound is horrible this morning so the machine is ripe for testing if you have any other suggestions.

OK, please open the START menu and type services.msc and press Enter then locate the DNS Client service in the list of services in Services.msc and double-click on it to open its properties, then click the drop-down menu under Startup type: and select Disabled then click Apply then click the Stop button and the service should stop on its own, but if it doesn't then simply restart your system and the service will not run on boot so you may then test to see if having it disabled makes any difference.

I can get to the properties of the service but all options are grayed out. I can't make any adjustments to it. I'm logged in as admin and have full access to everything. Odd.

By the way, the following command should disable the service so that you may then restart your system and it should not be running (assuming it works):

sc config Dnscache start= disabled

Neither option worked. Can't get to it in admin mode and a command prompt as admin says 'access denied.'  A quick Google says the options are disabled by the OS and can't be enabled. I do know that if I click the MWB system tray icon and turn off web protection then toggle it back on immediately it will fix the problem for six to eight hours. Though I think the problem occurred after an hour when I did the update to the latest package.

If it helps, here are two concurrent screen shots of the CPU and Ethernet activity from my system. During each of the spikes, the MWB process is at the top of the list. My system is also getting very choppy now in terms of mouse usage and scrolling. I had no choice but to turn off the web protection. With it off, the CPU stopped spiking. There was no change in whatever the ethernet has going on.

ethernet.png

cpu.png

Oh well, it sounds like MS has locked down that service.  I feared as much but wasn't certain.  Thanks for the further details, hopefully they will prove helpful to the Developers.

It is locked down to the "System" but can be changed if you really wanted to. However I would not recommend it as it is a core piece of how Windows 10 operates today.

Now, that said. the screenshot shown is for 56Kb which in today's networking is hardly a blip on the screen. You're connected to a Gigabit network adapter and the average network speed in the USA as of 2018 according to NCTA is 93.98 Mbps
In comparison it is almost like the network card is in sleep mode meaning that it's not doing much period.

If  your system or sound is being bothered by that then that would appear to be a weak link in the hardware or drivers or how our program interacts with your driver.

Try clicking on the "Open Resource Monitor" link at the bottom of the Task Manager when on the Performance tab.

Then click on the Network tab. Then you can click the name columns to sort for Send and Receive and see what is using the most traffic. Again though 56K is the speeds we were using for Dialup almost 20 years ago

If that does not prove to be helpful then if you like I can work with you to see if we can trim down your computer to a "clean" state to see if that resolves the issue or not.

Let me know what you'd like to do @Nazoman

If you would like assistance then please follow the instructions from post # 64 above

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information

I've downloaded the RealTek Audio Driver 6.0.1.8703 rlse date 6-3-19, and the Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Drivers 7.126.0510.2019 rlse date 7-30-19, but am reluctant to install them for fear of crashing my PC. I run a eBay business, and would rather wait until Monday, after I've shipped out my current orders, then try to install those two.

Before I updated the component from the prior version to 1.0.875, my sound would stutter after 6-8 hours, immediately after the update, my sounds starts stuttering within 10 mins. Cycling the 'web protection' fixes it, but only for 10 mins. Is there a way to go back to the prior component package, for the time being, until your techs have a perm fix?

I woke up this morning to as frozen PC, with a black screen. After about 10 mins of moving the mouse, the screen partially came back, but I wasn't able to navigate to the 'web protection' to cycle it. I had to do a hard reboot. I'm sure that this was due to the excessive IO accumulating during the night.  

In addition to a web browser, I download/upload using two other programs, JDownloader(rarely used) and a torrent program. I know your Malwarebytes Premium is working on the torrent program, as I get pop-up boxes that say that trojan IP's have been blocked.  

A short-term fix might be to stop/exit the torrent program, turn off web protection(I have your browser guard)..I think then the sound would be OK, and my system wouldn't slow down/hang.

Do you have something like your browser guard for torrent programs, or a way to incorporate the browser guard into my torrent program?   

There was an update available, my Malwarebytes Premium is now 4.1.0.56,  package 1.0.22636, component 1.0.875. Was there a fix in this update?

You should exclude your torrent program from Web Protection if you haven't done so already.  Peer-to-peer applications like Bittorrent clients connect to a wide array of IP addresses, some of which may also host malicious content and so they trigger blocks from Web Protection even though connecting to them to download your torrents is harmless (assuming the file you're downloading through your Bittorrent client itself is safe, though that has nothing to do with the IPs it might come from).

To exclude the program, follow the instructions under the Allow an application to connect to the Internet section of this support article and let us know if it helps.  If that was the cause of the issue then that would make sense.