Here’s Why Blazing Fast Linux OS Peppermint 10 Just Blew Me Away

sman

Here’s Why Blazing Fast Linux OS Peppermint 10 Just Blew Me Away

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/10/31/heres-why-blazing-fast-linux-os-peppermint-10-just-blew-me-away/#1989f8566d9b

I use Peppermint 8 (an older version with chromium browser , wanting a chrome browser instead of FF)

Quote -

I get a thrill from pushing the limits of hardware. Whether that’s trying (in vain) to stress out a Falcon Northwest Talon with 32GB of RAM and a 12-core AMD Ryzen processor, or seeing what a cheap (roughly $165) little Intel dual-core 2.1GHz laptop with 4GB of RAM can truly handle. When I slapped Windows 10 on the Asus VivoBook E203M it was capable of multi-tasking, albeit with frequent “Not Responding” messages and the enthusiasm of a drunk snail. But when I installed Linux distribution Peppermint OS, it just screamed.

I’m going to show you a video recorded from Peppermint OS using SimpleScreenRecorder, and then list out exactly what was running and what that software was doing. Note that the total consumed RAM for all of this was roughly 1.7GB. That’s the same amount Windows 10 was using on this system just browsing the web. . .

Here’s what’s going on the above clip:

Firefox: YouTube streaming + 3 additional tabs (Twitter, Peppermint OS website, etc)

Actively downloading a Linux distro via Bittorrent with Transmission

Media app playing a local audio file

LibreOffice Writer document open

2 instances of the File Manager open

2 instances of Terminal open

Peppermint OS system settings open

Wallpaper browser open

Peppermint OS Software Store open

Plus recording the entire screen at 1366x768 with SimpleScreenRecorder which uses considerable CPU cycles

Switching between all these tasks was practically instantaneous; the system didn’t feel weighed down, and in fact was quite responsive. No software hangs, no spinning wait wheels. I suspect I could have doubled the workload, which is an extraordinary feat for such an under-powered dual-core laptop.

On second thought, I think I'll just keep using it. . .

I’ve only spent a few hours with Peppermint OS. Initially I thought it would be a throwaway test as a quick comparison against Windows 10 on ultra-budget, low-resource laptops.

Now I can’t help wondering what it’s capable of on powerful hardware like a System76 Oryx Pro, or that beastly Falcon Northwest Talon.