kelsey99

Browser Asistant / Trojan.BrowserAssistant.PS

at least it said it found and removed one item when i scanned. something that had tampering in the name. im not sure what it was. i think it said it was some defender tampering thing. i'm sure you'll find it.

The last run found no infection.  And the scan prior to that, was referring to one registry value associated to Windows Defender.   That was dealt with.

However, since your resident antivirus is Norton Security, it does set the Windows Defender to off.   That is expected behavior.

IF you have not paid for Norton Security, you should uninstall Norton Security.  Then Windows Defender will be re-enabled.  Windows Defender by the way, comes free with Windows 10 and it is a very good antvirus.

Bottom line, at this point, there is no infection.   We can cleanup and wrap up this case.

First, some other safety tips.

[   1   ]

See this article on our Malwarebytes Blog
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

You want to disable the ability of each web browser on this machine from being able to allow "push ads". That means Chrome, Firefox, or Edge browser (on Windows 10), or on Opera.

Scroll down to the tips section "How do I disable them".

[    2    ]

I suggest you install the Malwarebytes Browser guard for Chrome.

To get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension for Chrome,

Open this link in your Chrome   browser: 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/malwarebytes/ihcjicgdanjaechkgeegckofjjedodee

Then proceed with the setup.

[   3    ]

get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard  Firefox extension.

Open this link in your Firefox browser:   

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/malwarebytes/

Then proceed with the setup.

That link is for English US.   There are other language version.  Just go to the very bottom right of the page and look at “Change language” list drop down.

[   4   ]

Download "Delfix by Xplode" and save it to your desktop.

Or use the following if first link is down:

"Delfix link mirror"

If your security program alerts to Delfix either, accept the alert or turn your security off.

please right-click on Delfix  and choose run as administrator

Make Sure the following items are checked:

Remove disinfection tools <----- this will remove tools we may have used.

Now click on "Run" and wait patiently until the tool has completed.

Any remaining  files/logs from tools we have used can be deleted.

Adwcleaner you should keep  & run manually from time to time.   Perhaps on a monthly or six-week basis, just to keep free of adwares.

Let me know if you need something else at this point.

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks