ggeinec

v2.2.1.1024 - Getting prompt to run mbamresearch.exe on PC startup

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. If it is, please direct me to the correct one.¬† ūüôā

We have a Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit desktop running MBAM 2.2.1.1043 and MBAE 1.13.1.127. The database version is 2020.02.10.12.

Today on startup (twice) we get an elevated privilege window prompt asking for administrator password and permission to run mbamresearch.exe. And there is a red triangle with an exclamation point on the MBAM icon in the pop up task bar tray.

When we open MBAM 2.2.1.1043 it opens with a pop up window that says 'A new version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is ready to be installed. Install now?'with an OK button and a Later button.

And there is a big yellow banner across the top of the main MBAM window that says 'Your program version is out of date' with a button that says 'Install Now' but there are NO details about what will be installed.

What is going on here? What is this?

This is the first time we are seeing this and it's happening on only one of the three Win 7 PCs that all are set up the same way.

Is MB now rolling this out to those of us who have MBAM v2 (or v3) trying to push us into updating our MBAM to v4?

Or is it something else?

These PCs are all several (7 - 10) years old and about to be replaced with new Windows 10 PCs so we DO NOT want to upgrade them to MBAM v4.

Thanks for any thoughts about this.

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column

mbst_get_started.jpg

7. Click the Gather Logs button

mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

mbst_getting_logs.jpg

9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be found on your Desktop. Click OK

mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including¬†double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038523934

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

1 minute ago, ggeinec said:

Title\Subject of my post should be 'v2.2.1.1043 - Getting prompt to run mbamresearch.exe on PC startup'

Not v2.2.1.1024.

Sorry. ūü•ī

11 minutes ago, ggeinec said:

Your program version is out of date' with a button that says 'Install Now' but there are NO details about what will be installed.

It wants to install the current Version 4 of Malwarebytes.

Edited by Porthos

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

It wants to install the current Version 4 of Malwarebytes.

Thanks, Porthos, for your quick response.

I suppose 'It wants to install the current Version 4 of Malwarebytes.' is less disturbing than the alternative that some malware has hijacked MBAM, or that something else similarly serious has gone wrong.

But I am rather annoyed that MB would, without prior warning nor notification, start throwing up the request to run mbamresearch.exe and the banner about updating to a newer version without providing more details about exactly what the consequences of doing so will be.

I would not be surprised if a lot of folks who still are on v2 will unwittingly start the update to v4 without knowing what they are getting themselves into.

Short of uninstalling MBAM v2 is there a way to stop this mbamresearch.exe window from popping up and to remove the already downloaded v4 files to prevent accidental installation of v4?

Thanks for all the help you provide on this forum!

2 hours ago, ggeinec said:

Short of uninstalling MBAM v2 is there a way to stop this mbamresearch.exe window from popping up and to remove the already downloaded v4 files to prevent accidental installation of v4?

I know you kept away from ver 3 and as you were told back then, You are missing out on some major protection upgrades by sticking with the  WAY outdated ver 2. Especially as you seem to want to stick with Windows 7 even though it is still upgrade-able for free. Each user has their personal reason to do so.

You also would not need the anti rootkit beta any more as well.

If you wish to go ahead and upgrade, Please inform me and I will assist you with a smooth transition.

Thanks again, Porthos, for your quick response.

Actually, we are not sticking with Windows 7. We have three Windows 7 PCs with lifetime licenses for MBAM that we are in the process of replacing with new Windows 10 PCs. When we have those Windows 10 PCs up and running we will deal with the upgrade transition from MBAM v2.

At this point we don't want to complicate the process of moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10 by also adding in an upgrade to MBAM v4 on our current Windows 7 PCs which soon will be removed from service and put into well deserved retirement..

Thanks again for all the help you provide on this forum!

Hi,

If I may just make a reminder, before you jump on the new Windows 10 systems, to First de-activate the licenses on all the old machines.

You should be able to find your way in the old Version 2 program itself, the Deactivate license section.

On version 2  the Deactivate license  is accessible from the Dashboard via the View Details link, and also by using the My Account link in the Top Menu. A screenshot of the page is shown below.

image.png.3c9669d5da6ddfa9762fcf2512e3b462.png

If not, then there is a mechanism online thru the Malwarebytes MyAccount portal to deactivate the license.

Deactivation is important because of the change of operating system.

and by the way, note that the MyAccount portal access used Email address as the main factor.   ( That would be the Email you provided at the time of first purchase of the licenses.)

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023733-Manage-subscriptions-in-My-Account

After that is done,  then once the new Malwarebytes 4 is installed on the new machines, you can then re-ACTIVATE the licenses for Malwarebytes on each pc.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479154-Activate-Premium-subscription-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

Support guide for version 4 Malwarebytes for Windows    https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038984693-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-guide-v4

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for the reminder to deactivate my MBAM licenses before I proceed with upgrades to MBAM.

By the way, I bought my three MBAM lifetime licenses from Newegg in 2011. These licenses do not show up in My Account online so I would need to deactivate them from within the software.

Do I need to deactivate and reactivate MBAM if I am uninstalling and reinstalling the same version of MBAM on the same PC?

Or do I only need to deactivate and reactivate when I am moving the license to a new OS or the same OS on a new PC?

For example - If I run the Support Tool to remove MBAM v2 from the problem Windows 7 PC that is the subject of this thread and then I reinstall MBAM v2 again on that same problem PC do I need to first deactivate the MBAM license on that PC?

Also, I have a separate 3-PC license to run Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium on our three Windows 7 PCs. I assume that when I run the Support Tool on the problem PC it will also remove MBAE on that PC, correct?

Will I need to do anything to deactivate and reactivate MBAE or will I just need to reinstall MBAE on the problem PC?

And - just to clarify - we do NOT plan to stay on MBAM v2 past end of life for these three Windows 7 PCs. We are preparing to replace each of these PCs with a new Windows 10 PC, one at a time. As we retire each Windows 7 PC we will deal with upgraading MBAM to the current version on the new Windows 10 replacement PC. And I know that when we do this we will no longer need standalone MBAE because now it is included in MBAM.

Thanks!

These licenses do not show up in My Account online

If you haven't done so already I would suggest creating an account at My.Malwarebytes.com. Add your license(s) as described in this support article.

Do I need to deactivate and reactivate MBAM if I am uninstalling and reinstalling the same version of MBAM on the same PC?

Or do I only need to deactivate and reactivate when I am moving the license to a new OS or the same OS on a new PC?

YES. that is the best way to not get the keys blacklisted. Malwarebytes is system aware and moving to a new system will trigger needing a deactivation.

Also, I have a separate 3-PC license to run Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium on our three Windows 7 PCs. I assume that when I run the Support Tool on the problem PC it will also remove MBAE on that PC, correct?

You no longer need MBAE with MB 4 it has been included in Malwarebytes since version 3.  I do not use or have ever used MBAE so I cant tell you if it has a deactivate button.

But MBAE keys were good for the main program since version 3. But as there were never any 3pc licenses for MB I cant say if the MBAE license will actually activate more than one  regular MB install unless it is a subscription MBAE key. In the case of a subscription, You would not need it anymore because of your 3 lifetime MB keys.

18 minutes ago, Porthos said:

But as there were never any 3pc licenses for MB I cant say if the MBAE license will actually activate more than one  regular MB install...

Yes, it should.  I have an old lifetime 3 device MBAE license and it does indeed provide me with 3 activations/devices and is displayed that way under My Account.

2 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Yes, it should.  I have an old lifetime 3 device MBAE license and it does indeed provide me with 3 activations/devices and is displayed that way under My Account.

Since I never used it was not sure. Thanks for the info. I was not excited about the early versions of  the stand alone.

Edited by Porthos

You're welcome :)

Yeah, I snagged one back when I was an employee (of course), though I would have anyway honestly, even if I hadn't been working for the company, if only because I saw first-hand how effective and forward thinking it was (and still is, frankly; it's still one of the best anti-exploit tools out there by far, at least in my opinion).

1 minute ago, exile360 said:

if only because I saw first-hand how effective and forward thinking it was (and still is, frankly; it's still one of the best anti-exploit tools out there by far, at least in my opinion).

Exploits were not as prolific as they are today.

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Exploits were not as prolific as they are today.

They were starting to be.  It was the entire reason Malwarebytes acquired ZeroVulnerabilityLabs/Exploit Shield to begin with, as we (i.e. the PM, Devs, Researchers, Executives etc. at Malwarebytes) saw the rising threat of exploits and initially began targeting many common exploit payloads and executions using more basic methods in the real-time protection of Malwarebytes itself, however this protection was not nearly as flexible, powerful, or as comprehensive as the technology Exploit Shield was using so it was acquired, analyzed and rewritten with a new UI and improved capabilities, remained standalone for a time of course, then was integrated into Malwarebytes proper once it was deemed ready.  It was during the transition period from rootkits and rogues to primarily PUPs and exploits, just prior to the big shift to ransomware.

Hi @ggeinec    If you have any further questions, please be sure you let us know.

I just am curious as to how you might have missed all prompts for new Versions over these past few years.   Certainly, by Malwarebytes Anti-malware.

Version 3 Premium was the first to include anti-ransomware, plus anti-Exploit.  Malwarebytes 4.0.4.49  is the latest release.

Malwarebytes has always provided free upgrade as each new version was released,  and all active users should have had prompts.

Also, just wondering how long before you migrate to Windows 10.

Sincerely.

22 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Hi @ggeinec    If you have any further questions, please be sure you let us know.

I just am curious as to how you might have missed all prompts for new Versions over these past few years.   Certainly, by Malwarebytes Anti-malware.

Version 3 Premium was the first to include anti-ransomware, plus anti-Exploit.  Malwarebytes 4.0.4.49  is the latest release.

Malwarebytes has always provided free upgrade as each new version was released,  and all active users should have had prompts.

Also, just wondering how long before you migrate to Windows 10.

Sincerely.

Soon, I hope. I have the first Windows 10 PC which I expect to take the longest time. After that the other two should move more quickly depending on how much life gets in the way.

Not sure of what you are planning.   BUT there is no need to "copy" Malwarebytes.   Just Deactivate on old machine, on old program.

Do a new install on the new machine for Malwarebytes 4   & then Activate license.

On 2/15/2020 at 11:45 AM, Porthos said:

If you haven't done so already I would suggest creating an account at My.Malwarebytes.com. Add your license(s) as described in this support article.

YES. that is the best way to not get the keys blacklisted. Malwarebytes is system aware and moving to a new system will trigger needing a deactivation.

You no longer need MBAE with MB 4 it has been included in Malwarebytes since version 3.  I do not use or have ever used MBAE so I cant tell you if it has a deactivate button.

But MBAE keys were good for the main program since version 3. But as there were never any 3pc licenses for MB I cant say if the MBAE license will actually activate more than one  regular MB install unless it is a subscription MBAE key. In the case of a subscription, You would not need it anymore because of your 3 lifetime MB keys.

Registering licenses - I have an account at Malwarebytes. I wondered why my MBAM wasn't showing there. Thanks for pointing out that I need to register my own software and for pointing to the instructions on how to do so.

Deactivating and reactivating - I understand about deactivating and reactivating MBAM when moving it to a new system, but what about deactivating and reactivating MBAM when reinstalling MBAM on the same PC while troubleshooting, after replacing a hard drive, etc.?

MBAE - Yes, I am aware that MBAE now comes with MBAM. Thanks for the reminder.

You bought your licenses from Newegg in 2011.   That process back then would NOT have populated the info on MyAccount  ( which did not exist as such at that time anyway).

Plus, you had OLD old versions of Malwarebytes programs.

Hence, you need to Deactivate the licenses first.  So that the tracking license system does not get tripped up.

Reinstalling on same pc / same operating Windows OS version  is OK  and permissible.   Let us just remember that you do not want to keep the old program versions.

Plus you are moving from one Windows OS  to another Windows system.   Whenever a change of operating system is about to happen, you must Deactvate first.

If you are moving to a different new hard rive, you also should deactivate first.

I do hope we are not getting lost in all the weeds of possibilities.

41 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Not sure of what you are planning.   BUT there is no need to "copy" Malwarebytes.   Just Deactivate on old machine, on old program.

Do a new install on the new machine for Malwarebytes 4   & then Activate license.

Right, I understand that.

I think there may have been a misunderstanding. I will not be copying Malwarebytes.

I interpreted "Also, just wondering how long before you migrate to Windows 10." to mean how long before my Windows 10 PCs will be up and running and ready for Malwarebytes. As each one is ready I will follow the procedure you described above. :)

19 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

You bought your licenses from Newegg in 2011.   That process back then would NOT have populated the info on MyAccount  ( which did not exist as such at that time anyway).

Plus, you had OLD old versions of Malwarebytes programs.

Hence, you need to Deactivate the licenses first.  So that the tracking license system does not get tripped up.

Reinstalling on same pc / same operating Windows OS version  is OK  and permissible.   Let us just remember that you do not want to keep the old program versions.

Plus you are moving from one Windows OS  to another Windows system.   Whenever a change of operating system is about to happen, you must Deactvate first.

If you are moving to a different new hard rive, you also should deactivate first.

I do hope we are not getting lost in all the weeds of possibilities.

Understood. No we are not getting lost.

Thank you for all of your help.