Threat scan has been "checking for updates" for over 13 hours

In addition, my computer's overall performance has slowed significantly as well. Opening web pages and applications takes much longer than it usually did. Something even as simple as right-clicking a file will take close to a minute to open the menu. My detection history shows some detections in the past few days, so I am suspecting that that may be the culprit, however my most recent threat scans have shown no threats detected or quarantined. I have attached my FRST.txt, Addition.txt, a screenshot of my threat scan checking for updates, a screenshot of my detection history, and the log of my most recent successful threat scan.

history.jpg

scan.jpg

Addition.txt FRST.txt log.txt

• Root Admin

Hello @alwaysthinking

Go ahead and stop Malwarebytes and reboot the computer.

Next, Please download and run the following Avast removal tool. You have left over elements from Avast on the system.

http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe

Then run the following fix.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

I have completed the steps. My computer's performance went back to normal after I ran aswclear, and I was able to complete a threat scan in a normal amount of time. But I still ran FRST64 and produced the Fixlog anyway just in case.

Also, I have noticed that Malwarebytes Tray Application keeps appearing in my Task Manager. Is this normal? Why does this keep appearing in Task Manager?

Fixlog.txt

• Root Admin

Yes, it is normal for the Malwarebytes Tray to be in the list of Task Manager because it is running.

Please go ahead and run reboot the computer one more time. Then run a new scan with FRST and attach both new logs so I can take a look. It looks like one item was not removed.

Thanks

• Root Admin

That is part of our program that allows access to certain changes, it also allows alerts to users, etc.

image.png

Do you read Chinese? There is a driver that appears to be in Chinese or some other obfuscated entry on the computer

S3 ⸮僾否馹ﳞ嶌ቱ眖㚩츮訑ꭉ㼃䗦莻₁皑屛᏶ﵙ嗱頾艬℆㻔䑡识꫎㝾쾩翖㡁썮崦發뎉쫄훮ᵙ濖ꇡ઱ᓳꡋ腹쬓흩瞫눎승岡縁㧆ꦜ胾ᔤꀶଶ᲎湑暆꜖�쉱漬Ⳟ펔䦹Љ뢱闦ඣ等넛Ḯ퉃䠾滻ⵙ�쏶村ꚑ냌ᾩ౴竎륦鑡מ煛c䀇⦔劭扯湩⸥f⸥㜱gHdsKe; C:\Windows\system32\drivers\⸮僾否馹ﳞ嶌ቱ眖㚩츮訑ꭉ㼃䗦莻₁皑屛᏶ﵙ嗱頾艬℆㻔䑡识꫎㝾쾩翖㡁썮崦發뎉쫄훮ᵙ濖ꇡ઱ᓳꡋ腹쬓흩瞫눎승岡縁㧆ꦜ胾ᔤꀶଶ᲎湑暆꜖�쉱漬Ⳟ펔䦹Љ뢱闦ඣ等넛Ḯ퉃䠾滻ⵙ�쏶村ꚑ냌ᾩ౴竎륦鑡מ煛c䀇⦔劭扯湩⸥f⸥㜱gHdsKe.sys [105136 2017-09-08] (AVAST Software) [File not signed]

A Google Translation only seems to translate some of it.

image.png

• Root Admin

Let me have you run the following to see if it will show more of what is going on there.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

Yes, I used the Avast Cleaner to delete my "avast!" folder from my C drive.

No, I don't read Chinese. There are also some Korean and Hebrew characters in there. I don't know why the file was named like this. I have located the file in my C drive and its properties say that it's from AVAST Software. Should I run the Avast Cleaner again to delete this file?

• Root Admin

Yes, please go ahead and delete that file. We'll also probably need to scan your Registry another way to try to remove that value

Try opening REGEDIT on your system and then browse to the following key location:   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

See if you can find an entry with Unicode like that and let me know.

• Root Admin

Great. Glad you were able to remove it without issue.

Let me have you do a clean removal and reinstall of Malwarebytes now

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038522234-Uninstall-and-reinstall-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-with-the-Malwarebytes-Support-Tool

Take your time and be patient. Let me know if there are any issues with that

I am using wireless. Strangely, the last post that I made (post #20) was made successfully while my internet was not working on the rest of my computer. For some reason, the internet worked correctly on the tab that had this website open and another tab that had Instagram open, but the internet stopped working in all of my other tabs when I tried to visit a new website. The only reason I can think of is that the tabs that worked were already open when the internet stopped working, but that doesn't explain why the internet still worked on those tabs.

Here is my version of Malwarebytes. The "update package version" when I first opened the program was 1.0.19426. I closed the program and opened it a few minutes later and it was 1.0.19428. Then I clicked "check for updates" and it became 1.0.19430. I have it set to check for updates and install them automatically, but this behavior still occurred.

version.jpg