Windows 7 Users Suddenly Can't Shut Down Their PCs, How to Fix

pondus

Meanwhile Windows 10 still lacks basic search and text entry functions in the START menu and explorer (as confirmed by their own most recently published updates for that OS, as well as my own experiences testing it; not fun when you're using an OS that tries to hide everything behind its search index and linking system when you can't enter text to search for anything, a problem I've never had since Vista).

I think the biggest mistake Microsoft has made in recent years was to pull the plug on their once massive QA department.  Their software and patches received so much testing on such a wide array of hardware and software configurations that the emergence of a major issue was rare to say the least (save for a few times they rushed out a patch for something without their usual lengthy testing/validation process).  Now their code is unstable and they are in too much of a rush to add in the next 'killer feature' and/or big moneymaking software scheme that they aren't taking the time to do proper QA and bugfix development.  What was once the top OS for compatibility and flexibility is quickly becoming an unstable mess which is little more than a front-end for collecting usage, search and browsing data.

22 minutes ago, Porthos said:

At least for you holdouts you should not have any more "update" issues.🤣

Windows 7 OS specific updates - Yes.  But;  Dot Net, Visual C++, Microsoft Security Essentials, MS Office, etc, still are getting updates.

Edited by David H. Lipman

1 minute ago, David H. Lipman said:

Windows 7 OS specific updates - Yes.  But;  Dot Net, C++, Microsoft Security Essentials, MS Office, etc, still are getting updates.

But how often do those updates screw core OS function. Of course it does and can happen though.

6 hours ago, exile360 said:

Meanwhile Windows 10 still lacks basic search and text entry functions in the START menu and explorer

I've never had a problem with it, just click on Start and type away - up comes the search with programmes and files starting with what I have typed. I don't even keep a searchbox on my taskbar anymore.
Search in File Explorer also works fine for me, (apart from not being able to easily clear the recent searches list), but it's actually quicker to search for files from the start menu search; unless you want to search content as well as filenames.

I believe I've never seen one of the many reported Win 10 search problems because one of the first things I did in Win 10 was to disable Cortana (and OneDrive cloud).
Disabling Cortana (and/or Bing)  was the suggested fix for the latest search issue that started last Wednesday (I never saw it here), that issue has now been fixed by MS.

Of course today is Patch Tuesday, so I hope I haven't spoken too soon.🤐

Edited by nukecad

Actually, I think in my case, disabling Cortana, Bing and all that is what killed search functionality to begin with.  I remember it being mentioned in one of the MS KB articles sometime ago, and for whatever reason the latest updates don't like my hardware (a fairly modern laptop with an Intel 8750H and a GTX 1060 6GB) so Microsoft Update/Windows Update keeps saying there's no other patches available for the system save for occasional minor updates.  I suspect it might have something to do with the particular Realtek HD Audio chip/codec that is installed in the system as I seem to recall an issue with some of those breaking compatibility with certain major Windows 10 OS updates and that MS was holding back patches from these systems because of it until they have it fully resolved.  I haven't checked it in a month or so, so it is entirely possible this has changed, but for many months at least I've had no search because of it (typing text, even with the onscreen keyboard using the mouse fails to write any characters in any built in search box in Windows, including in Explorer and the START menu, the control panel/settings, and everywhere else outside of separate applications, all of which work fine (including all 3 browsers I use, all the games I play, all the document/text editors I use etc., so it's just those particular system components/search boxes).