malware exploit agent generic

Hi,    :welcome:

My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.   Please let me know what first name you prefer to go by.

Please follow my directions as we go along.  Please do not do any changes on your own without first checking with me.

If you will be away for more than 3 consecutive days,  do try to let me know ahead of time, as much as possible.

Please only just attach   all report files, etc  that I ask for as we go along.

I would appreciate  getting some key details from this machine in order to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Do have patience while the report tool runs.  It may take several minutes.  Just let it run & take its time.  You may want to close your other open windows so that there is a clear field of view.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support-1.5.4.760.exe  to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Please know I help here as a volunteer.  and that I am not on 24 x 7.

Help on this forum is one to one.   Again, please be sure to ONLY attach report files  with your reply (s)  as we go along.  Do not do a copy / paste into main body.

Thank you,

Sincerely.

Please do not be using "Internet Explorer" browser.   Rather instead, you should use the EDGE browser.

I will follow up with another reply-post about Chrome.

For much later on & by the way, this machine is running a old build of Windows 10  ( Build 1803  is from Spring of 2018).  This machine needs the latest build.

This is a first step.   There will be more later.

I  would suggest to download, Save, and then run Malwarebytes ADWCLEANER.

Please close Chrome and all other open web browsers after you have saved the Adwcleaner and before you start Adwcleaner scan.

Adwcleaner  detects factory Preinstalled applications too!

Please download  Malwarebytes AdwCleaner  https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner

Be sure to Save the file first, to your system.  Saving to the Downloads folder should be the default on your system.

Go to the folder where you saved Adwcleaner. Double click Adwcleaner  to start it.

At the prompt for license agreement, review and then click on I agree.

You will then see a main screen for Adwcleaner. ( if you do not see it right away, minimized the other open windows, so you can see Adwcleaner).

Then click on Dashboard button.

Click the blue button "Scan Now".

allow it a few minutes to finish the Scan.   Let it remove what it finds.

NOTE:  When it comes to the section "

Pre-installed applications

You can skip that.

Please find and send the Adwcleaner "C" clean report.

In Adwcleaner, click the "Reports" button.  Look at the list of reports for the latest date & type "Clean".

Double Click that line & it will open in Notepad.   Save the file to your system and then Attach that with your reply.

That C clean report will be the one with the most recent Date and time at folder  C:\AdwCleaner\Logs

Thanks.  Keep me advised.

Thanks.  The last Adwcleaner scan found nothing.

I would like for you to do all the steps below.  Just keep going down the list no matter what.

[   1   ]

Use the keyboard shortcuts to start an elevated command prompt.
Press and hold the Windows-flag key on keyboard & tap the X key
On the fly-out menu, select "Command prompt (Admin)"
Click Yes to confirm

In the Command prompt, Copy and Paste this
start microsoft-edge:https://bing.com

Next, delete all Cache and history from the EDGE browser.

In Edge, the procedure is:

1. Click the Hub icon, click “Clear History”
  2. Select the appropriate options. Note that clearing the “Cookies and saved website data” will result in you having to login at every site again.
  3. Click the “Clear” button.

edge

[   2   ]

You can force Chrome to start in reduced mode, called Incognito mode, by putting a parameter at startup.
First, close any prior instances of Chrome via Task Manager.
Then press Windows-key+R for the RUN option and then put a command line similar to this {do use COPY & PASTE}

chrome.exe -incognito

Starting Chrome in Incognito mode may work for you, and allow you to make "changes" or tweaks in it.
Note also, Incognito mode is also an option in the Chrome menu {as long as it can start}.

Other suggestions, for Chrome, while Chrome is running:
Press & hold SHIFT+CTRL+Del keys  on keyboard to get menu for clearing browsing data:

Check mark the line  "Browsing history"

Check mark the line "Download history"

Check mark the lined "Cached images and files"
and press Clear Data button  ( in blue )

Still in Chrome, press ALT+F then Settings
Click Extensions on the left.
Closely review the browser extensions that are listed. Disable any that you are not familiar with or that you do not trust.

[   3   ]

Turn off "SYNC" for Google Chrome.

Using Chrome browser,  go to https://www.google.com/settings/chrome/sync and sign into your account.
Scroll down until you see the "reset sync" button and click on the button
At the prompt click on "Ok".

Now, Close Chrome.

[   4    ]

get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension for Chrome,

Open this link in your Chrome browser: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/malwarebytes/ihcjicgdanjaechkgeegckofjjedodee

Then proceed with the setup.

[  5   ]

Run a new scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.
Start Malwarebytes from the Windows  Start menu.

Click Settings ( gear icon)   at the top right of Malwarebytes window.   We want to see the SETTINGS window.

Then click the SECURITY  tab.
Scroll down and lets be sure the line in SCAN OPTIONs for "Scan for rootkits" is ON
Click it to get it ON  if it does not show a blue-color

Now click the small X  to get back to the main menu window.

Click the SCAN button.
Select a Threat Scan ( which should be the default).

When the scan phase is done, be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.

Then click on Quarantine selected.

Be sure all items were removed.

Good morning.

As to using Internet Explorer, please be aware that it is not considered safe to use in general.  It is better to use the EDGE browser.

Let's do a one time special scan with the Malwarebytes standalone anti-rootkit scanner, MBAR

Please read all of these lines first so that it is all clear to you about our plan. I need a one time run of MBAR like listed here, please.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit (MBAR) from this link here

and save it to your desktop.

Doubleclick on the MBAR file and allow it to run.

•Click OK on the next screen, to allow the package to extract the contents of the file to its own folder named mbar.

•mbar.exe will launch automatically. On some systems, this may take a few extra seconds. Please be patient and wait for the program to open.

•After reading the Introduction, click 'Next' if you agree.

•On the Update Database screen, click on the 'Update' button.

•Once you see 'Success: Database was successfully updated' click on 'Next', then click the Scan button.

With some infections, you may see two messages boxes:

1.'Could not load protection driver'. Click 'OK'.
    2.'Could not load DDA driver'. Click 'Yes' to this message, to allow the driver to load after a restart. Allow the computer to restart. Continue with the rest of these instructions.

•If malware is found, press the Cleanup button when the scan completes. .

Please attach the log it produces, you'll find the log in that mbar folder as MBAR-log-<date and time>***.txt . Please attach that to your next reply.

Thanks.  The flagging of 2 items associated to Notepad++  are false positives.

Just delete the MBAR.exe / we do not need it anymore.

You may delete the 2 mbar-log  files.

I need for you to uninstall lnlog-6rowser version 3.1

Use the standard way to Uninstall.

1. Press & hold  the Windows key on keyboard & then tap the R key   to open the Run command.

2. Type 

appwiz.cpl 

and tap Enter.
The Programs and Features window will appear.

3. Locate   lnlog-6rowser   and click once to select it, then click the Uninstall button.

[  B   ]

See to it that Malwarebytes for Windows is not registered with the Windows 10  Windows Security Center.

Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, lets make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows  Security Center Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to 

"Windows Security Center"

Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".

When done, close the window.

Then I suggested Restart-ing Windows.

[    C    ]

The Microsoft Safety Scanner  is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that  can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system.

The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Let me know the result of this.

The log is named MSERT.log 

the log will be at  %SYSTEMROOT%\debug\msert.log   which in most cases is

C:\Windows\debug\msert.log

Please attach that log with your reply.

• Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks