Intermittent system freezing and buzzing

Well... I guess it isn't really fixed.  I had one instance of freezing last night and another just now.  There was some buzzing sound, but it was not as strong and loud as before.

So... I have turned web protection back off to see if that makes any difference.  It really is hard to quantify exactly what is causing the problem since it sometimes is many days before I have the problem again.  

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

An update.

I have now gone 2 weeks with web protection disabled and have had no freezing or buzzing.  It again looks like it is the web protection that is causing the problem.

So... what do I do now.  Do you want output from the support tool or something else?

Bill

Edited by BillH99999
  • Staff

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the latest update.

We're currently working on an update to address some of the current Web Protection issues. We hope the issue you're experiencing will be addressed with this. For now, please keep Web Protection disabled or revert back to the earlier component package version. We'll let you know in this topic once we have an update to try.

OK... thanks.  I will hold on to this install and might use it if it takes a long time for the fix to be available.  

Does uninstalling and re-installing still cause the loss of all settings?

Bill

16 minutes ago, BillH99999 said:

Does uninstalling and re-installing still cause the loss of all settings?

Yes, it does when using the support tool. I can say when using the built in uninstaller in Windows since I never use it for MB.

Posted (edited)

I'll hold out then for a fix.  MB really needs to come up with a solution for this.  I have no other software that causes you to lose all the settings when uninstalling and reinstalling.  They could at least find a way to save the scheduled scan and allow list settings.  I am really tired of having to re-enter those every time.

Bill

Edited by BillH99999
7 minutes ago, BillH99999 said:

I have no other software that causes you to lose all the settings when uninstalling and reinstalling. 

I totally understand. The majority of users do not change any settings. Some of us do though.

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

I totally understand. The majority of users do not change any settings. Some of us do though.

I would have thought that a lot of people add or modify scheduled scans and add items to the allow list for other anti-virus products.

AV exclusions are not always needed. Most do not alter the scheduled scans. Many are not as advanced as you and I are. The install and forget it unless there is an issue.

The changes I make can be recreated in 5 minutes. I can do them in my sleep since I do them several times a month on clients computers.

Most AV exclusions are needed more in the "other" AV not MB. I personally have scheduled scans off at this time and do them manually.

I too can make the changes pretty quickly, but I don't do it often enough to remember what needs to be done.  Guess I should keep a record of that somewhere to make it easier.  

Still, it would be nice if MB could save this info so we don't have to do this.

Bill

@LiquidTension

Another update. 

So I've been running with web protection off for over two weeks and the problem didn't manifest itself.  Well, today it did.  So, it looks like it isn't web protection after all.  I had posted a thread on the Dell forum weeks ago thinking maybe it was a problem with my PC, but none of the suggestions made any difference.  

Bill

• Staff

Hi Bill,

Interesting development. To confirm, MBAMWebProtection definitely isn't installed? You can confirm by opening a Command Prompt and entering sc query MBAMWebProtection. You should receive a 1060 error back.

@LiquidTension

When I enter that query with web Protection turned OFF, I get the 1060 error.  However, when I turn web protection back ON... I get the same 1060 error. 

I tried quitting and restarting MB, made sure web protection was turned ON and still get the 1060 error.

Bill

Hi, I have been having the same type of issue with Windows freezing.  I have pinned it down to the latest Malwarebytes update as when I unload the program, I don't have the issue.  I have 4.1.0 Premium.  Based on this forum, I have turned Web Protection off to see if that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Another update.  Well... I don't have any idea what is going on, but I've been running now for about a month with web protection turned on and have had no freezing or buzzing issues.  I am on the latest version of MB.  I have also keep my other software up to date since then.  No idea what was the original cause of the problem, but at least for now it seems to have resolved itself.  

Thanks to everyone that helped on this issue.

Bill