Windows 10 Desktop Freezes everyday

My windows 10 desktop freezes everyday when left alone for a few minutes.  When I return to the PC, I find that the screen is blank, the PC fan is running, the mouse light is on, and the 2 blue lights on the from of the PC are solid on.

Moving the mouse, clicking it, or hitting keys do nothing.  When I try to access a drive on this PC that is normally accessible over the network from another PC, it shows the drive as not available.

I have run the Windows RAM test, Hard drive check and nothing is found.  Windows is fully updated.  Malwarebytes did not find anything.  What can I do next to root-cause the issue?

Many thanks.

2 minutes ago, Windows10Freezes said:

What can I do next to root-cause the issue?

Please do the following so that we may investigate this issue:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Thanks

You have checked HD and ram. What about BIOS and motherboard drivers from the MFG. What power supply does this computer have? Is it as old as the system??

What Motherboard does this computer have?

As for the logs, I did not see anything that really jumped out at me except the hosts file hacks to bypass Adobe activation (not something I condone)

The 10yr old system might not be fully ACPI compliant with Win 10.

4 gigs of ram is a little short nowadays.

That processor was a great processor when it was released in 2008.

It sounds like perhaps it might be the power settings and that the machine is going into hibernation or sleep mode when left alone for a while with no activity and then gets hung in that state, something that could easily occur on older hardware.  I'd suggest going into the power options and disabling the sleep and hibernation functions and keep it from powering down the drives.

Thanks.  All the sleep modes set to Never (display, as well as PC).  Hibernation is off.  "Allow hybrid sleep" was on, which I just turned off.

The power supply is 10 years old, the same age as the PC.  It is an ASUS board, which does not have new BIOS for a long time.

The system worked perfectly until about 2 months ago it started acting up.  I use it just for emails and web, nothing else.

I do not use Adobe other than Acrobat for pdf.  My son used this PC several years ago when he was in high school.  I just tried editing the host file but it won't let me save it.

Thanks again for your help.

13 minutes ago, Windows10Freezes said:

Acrobat for pdf

The Acrobat "PRO" is the culprit that is being circumvented from accessing the activation server. FYI. It is not causing your current issue but wanted to point it out in case you did not know.

15 minutes ago, Windows10Freezes said:

I just tried editing the host file but it won't let me save it.

If you do not use Acrobat  to EDIT PDF files you can uninstall the current one and install the current Acrobat reader.

Be sure to uncheck the extra offers see below. Then you can reset the hosts file. Instructions on resetting your HOSTS file can be found in this Microsoft support article

2020-02-06_00h04_03.png

Thanks for your help, the PC works fine now.  It's been 3+ days since the suggested changes were made, and I had 0 issues.

For someone who is reading in the future, I followed everything @Porthos had suggested.  In addition, I used the Adobe complete remover to remove all the traces of Adobe before installing Adobe Acrobat (non Pro version).  Not sure it did anything, but just informing what was done to come to this clean resolution.

Thanks again for your prompt help and sharing your depth of knowledge.

25 minutes ago, Windows10Freezes said:

Thanks for your help, the PC works fine now.  It's been 3+ days since the suggested changes were made, and I had 0 issues.

For someone who is reading in the future, I followed everything @Porthos had suggested.  In addition, I used the Adobe complete remover to remove all the traces of Adobe before installing Adobe Acrobat (non Pro version).  Not sure it did anything, but just informing what was done to come to this clean resolution.

Thanks again for your prompt help and sharing your depth of knowledge.

Your Welcome