Security risks for e-scooters and riders exposed

Security risks for e-scooters and riders exposed

https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2020/01/28/e-scooters-risks/

According to the review, hackers can cause a series of attacks, including eavesdropping on users and even spoof GPS systems to direct riders to unintended locations. Vendors of e-scooters can suffer DoS attacks and data leaks.

“We’ve identified and outlined a variety of weak points or attack surfaces in the current ride-sharing, or micromobility, ecosystem that could potentially be exploited by malicious adversaries right from inferring the riders’ private data to causing economic losses to service providers and remotely controlling the vehicles’ behavior and operation,” said Jadliwala.

Personal data remains at risk

Some e-scooter models communicate with the rider’s smartphone over a Bluetooth Low Energy channel. Someone with malicious intent could eavesdrop on these wireless channels and listen to data exchanges between the scooter and riders’ smartphone app by means of easily and cheaply accessible hardware and software tools such as Ubertooth and WireShark.

Those who sign up to use e-scooters also offer up a great deal of personal and sensitive data beyond just billing information. According to the study, providers automatically collect other analytics, such as location and individual vehicle information.

This data can be pieced together to generate an individual profile that can even include a rider’s preferred route, personal interests, and home and work locations.

Add the driver-less car to this as well. I read where the manufactures will not comment on it. There are 5 stages of automation but in step 5 the driver loses complete control (or so they say).

22 hours ago, sman said:

Here i got it. https://www.thedrive.com/tech/31816/key-volkswagen-exec-admits-level-5-autonomous-cars-may-never-happen

Yes, that is the article I was referring to. 👍

I'm tempted to call the VW exec an idiot before bothering to read what s/he has to say, but I'm resisting...

...I read the wardsauto article.  Ok, so it sounds to me more likely that the exec saying that to boost sales of the I.D. Buzz and perhaps egg on his team, rather than trying to make a sound prediction.  Unless society as a whole collapses, Level 5 is coming.

Corona Virus perspective to a Pandemic that occurred ~100 yrs ago. 

Post WW1 HiN1 Pandemic  ~675,000 dead in the USA alone.  That's more than the ~620,000 who died in the US Civil war.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-pandemic-h1n1.html

"The 1918 influenza pandemic was the most severe pandemic in recent history. It was caused by an H1N1 virus with genes of avian origin. Although there is not universal consensus regarding where the virus originated, it spread worldwide during 1918-1919.  In the United States, it was first identified in military personnel in spring 1918. It is estimated that about 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with this virus. The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States. "

https://www.worldwar1centennial.org/index.php/communicate/press-media/wwi-centennial-news/3978-flu-killed-more-world-war-i-troops-than-any-battle.html

"The second flu wave of 1918 coincided with the Meuse-Argonne Campaign of World War I, according to the National Institute of Health.

Over 1 million U.S. troops participated, and it was our largest front-line commitment of the war.

Statistics vary, but the National Institute of Health reports 26,277 American soldiers died during this campaign, the deadliest World War I battle for U.S. troops.

Ft Riley KS hospital 1918Influenza victims crowd into an emergency hospital near Fort Riley, Kansas in 1918. The 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic killed at least 20 million people worldwide.However, the flu killed more U.S. soldiers than did any Great War battle. The flu was equal opportunity. At least 14,000 German troops died from the flu.

Call it the Spanish Flu if you wish, as coined by the French — perhaps because the Spanish King Alphonso XIII caught the flu. From that logic, Wilsonian Flu would have worked. President Woodrow Wilson was also a flu victim.

The flu killed 15,849 U.S. soldiers in France and another 30,000 in stateside camps. That’s 45,849 killed by the flu versus 26,277 killed at Meuse-Argonne — documenting that the flu was by far our most deadly battle."

Just to  bring this back on-track...  Physical security of eScooters,

16-Year-Old Scooter Rider Killed by Tow Truck in New Jersey

"A 16-year-old boy became the first person killed while riding a shared electric scooter in New Jersey when he collided with a tow truck in Elizabeth on Wednesday night.

The boy, identified by a city official as Nelson Miranda Gomez, was riding one of 150 Lime scooters that were made available for public rental in Elizabeth just three weeks ago, according to the city’s mayor, J. Christian Bollwage.

The mayor said a large tow truck was making a right turn from Elizabeth Avenue onto Spring Street at about 8:05 p.m. when it struck the boy, a local resident, who died shortly after the collision. The driver, who stayed at the scene and called for help, has not been charged, a city official said."

On 2/5/2020 at 10:36 AM, David H. Lipman said:

Corona Virus perspective to a Pandemic that occurred ~100 yrs ago. 

Post WW1 HiN1 Pandemic  ~675,000 dead in the USA alone.  That's more than the ~620,000 who died in the US Civil war.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-pandemic-h1n1.html

"The 1918 influenza pandemic was the most severe pandemic in recent history. It was caused by an H1N1 virus with genes of avian origin. Although there is not universal consensus regarding where the virus originated, it spread worldwide during 1918-1919.  In the United States, it was first identified in military personnel in spring 1918. It is estimated that about 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with this virus. The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States. "

https://www.worldwar1centennial.org/index.php/communicate/press-media/wwi-centennial-news/3978-flu-killed-more-world-war-i-troops-than-any-battle.html

"The second flu wave of 1918 coincided with the Meuse-Argonne Campaign of World War I, according to the National Institute of Health.

Over 1 million U.S. troops participated, and it was our largest front-line commitment of the war.

Statistics vary, but the National Institute of Health reports 26,277 American soldiers died during this campaign, the deadliest World War I battle for U.S. troops.

Ft Riley KS hospital 1918Influenza victims crowd into an emergency hospital near Fort Riley, Kansas in 1918. The 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic killed at least 20 million people worldwide.However, the flu killed more U.S. soldiers than did any Great War battle. The flu was equal opportunity. At least 14,000 German troops died from the flu.

Call it the Spanish Flu if you wish, as coined by the French — perhaps because the Spanish King Alphonso XIII caught the flu. From that logic, Wilsonian Flu would have worked. President Woodrow Wilson was also a flu victim.

The flu killed 15,849 U.S. soldiers in France and another 30,000 in stateside camps. That’s 45,849 killed by the flu versus 26,277 killed at Meuse-Argonne — documenting that the flu was by far our most deadly battle."

Yes, the current virus will very unlikely reach such large numbers.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Disturbing update on Corona.

Those E-Scooters Might Not Be as Dangerous as You Think

https://onezero.medium.com/demystifying-e-scooter-safety-one-step-at-a-time-956afcf12d75

The little we know about e-scooters

Katie Harmon and Laura Sandt at the University of North Carolina Highway Safety Research Center have been tracking fatal crashes involving e-scooters in the U.S. since late 2018. Of the 18 fatal crashes in 2019, 16 of them involved e-scooter riders killed from being struck by motor vehicles. One e-scooter fatality was a result of an e-scooter rider colliding with another rider. The remaining fatality resulted from a single-vehicle event where the e-scooter rider crashed into a tree. From these statistics, it’s difficult to decipher how much to attribute these terrible events to e-scooters and their riders versus how much to attribute to the general lack of safety for vulnerable road users.