Has Something Changed?

For the last few days, MB Premium has been taking nearly an hour to perform scans. 55k to 60k files are being scanned. This is typical when the system wakes up whether the sleep was 10 minutes or several hours. Previously scans were completed in well under 10 minutes.  I have listed MB as well as AdGuard in the security section of apps in system preferences.  Any ideas?  Did the most recent update go deeper into the scans?

Sorry for another posting but here are some screen shots illustrating, I hope, of what I am  talking about.  Maybe they will help. On the shot showing my turning off MB I did so because it showed over 17 hours (when the system woke up) of scanning so I turned it off and then back on to solve the problem.  

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 12.59.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 1.00.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 1.04.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 1.05.21 PM.png

Hello @brcd:

It's rather pointless of me to report my v4.0.30 total scan times but yes my scans are significantly faster.  Perhaps that temporarily rules out the content of the protection update 4.0.457.

Are you still using the same iMac you mentioned last year?  If you open the macOS Activity Monitor for CPU and then Memory, can you sort the columns and see a resource hog clue?

Thank you.

Hi,  Yes, same iMac. I can't figure it out. More irritating than anything else considering I was concerned last year that the scans were too fast. Maybe the computer is ready to pass on to the great beyond.  I'm also not sure adding the MB and AG to the app section in preferences was a good idea. Not sure what adding accomplished.

As @1PW said, it really isn't comparable, but my scan of over 99K objects takes under three minutes.

I'm not really clear on exactly where you "...have listed MB as well as AdGuard in the security section of apps in system preferences." I do believe it would be a mistake to add anything to System Preferences that hasn't been requested or shown in the installation instructions, but don't really see how that could increase your results so drastically. I suspect the staff will need more information before they can assist you, so I recommend you submit a system report created with the help of below article (please don't post the zip file here).

https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-3235

Instead, log a support ticket with help of below link and attach the file with the email

https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/contactsupport/pages/home-support

The staff will then be able to analyze it when they come to work tomorrow and hopefully figure it out.

I have included two shots from System Preferences showing where I added MB and AG.  I have since unchecked them.  Scans were really fast until the last 2 updates. And MB is in scan mode again; about 30 minutes since the last scan. Something just does not seem to be working like it used to.  I will do the report as you suggested.  Thanks.

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 5.32.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 5.33.00 PM.png

The Accessibility section is for apps that need to control the accessibility features of your computer in specific ways and wouldn't apply to either of the apps you mentioned. You can see all those features listed in System Preferences->Accessibility.

Again, I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with using excessive amounts of time to scan.

Thanks.  I unchecked them.  I was not real sure what I was doing anyway.  And I did submit a ticket and had the auto response. So I will wait and see what develops.  I was thinking that maybe my system is too old since OS X can no longer be updated and the long scans started around the time of the last 2 updates.  I also thought about uninstalling and reinstalling but don't believe that would help since I would still have the latest version. Thanks again. 

34 minutes ago, brcd said:

I also thought about uninstalling and reinstalling but don't believe that would help since I would still have the latest version. Thanks again. 

It wouldn’t hurt to do that while you are waiting. It’s been known to solve other user’s abnormal performance issues. Use the Help menu “Uninstall Malwarebytes” selection to do the uninstall then download from https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac-download/ and follow the installation instructions found there.

@brcd , do you use CleanMyMac?
I ask it because to an acquaintance of mine who had it, the scan lasted two days and as soon as he removed it, the scan was reduced to about 7 minutes with the same system.

He has a 2010 i7 macbook pro with 8 GB of RAM and one full 1 TB SSD with HighSierra

Edited by MAXBAR1
eliminated error

18 hours ago, MAXBAR1 said:

@brcd , do you use CleanMyMac?
I ask it because to an acquaintance of mine who had it, the scan lasted two days and as soon as he removed it, the scan was reduced to about 7 minutes with the same system.

He has a 2010 i7 macbook pro with 8 GB of RAM and one full 1 TB SSD with HighSierra

Sorry for the delay.  In answer to your question, No, I do not use CleanMyMac.  I use AdGuard and Malwarebytes.  Nothing else. My system crashed and burned on Sunday and reloading OS X has completely erased my drive.  When the system crashed, MB was still running; I did not have time to shut it down so now my single licensed MB is locked and lost.  I have a trouble ticket in and hoping it can be restored.  I will be getting a new iMac in the very near future.

3 minutes ago, brcd said:

I have a trouble ticket in and hoping it can be restored.

Give them 3-5 days for a response.

You can also

Start by creating an account at My.Malwarebytes.com if you haven't done so already, if possible using the same email address you used when you originally purchased your license.  You will find instructions on how to do so in this support article.  Once that is done you should be able to use the Deactivate all function to reset your license/devices so that you may activate your license on your device again.  You may refer to the information in this support article for more details.

Edited by Porthos

I tried and it says I exceeded my license.  As I mentioned, MB was active on the iMac when it crashed.  Restoring OS X deleted all on the hard disc.  Since I had not deactivated MB on the iMac, it is still tied to that computer.  

10 minutes ago, brcd said:

I tried and it says I exceeded my license.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023733-Manage-subscriptions-in-My-Account

Deactivate all: Clicking this link removes the corresponding license key from your devices.  When the license is removed, Premium features, including protection, are turned off.  For more information, refer to the article Transfer or Deactivate Malwarebytes Premium license key‌.

image.png.1fbab11d4b2e500f3a24be57701b3261.png