Malwarebytes "Free" INSISTS on a Premium Trial

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column

mbst_get_started.jpg

7. Click the Gather Logs button

mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

mbst_getting_logs.jpg

9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be found on your Desktop. Click OK

mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038523934

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

LOL.. You are kidding, right?

It's not a matter of "if it bothers you to enter yours" - it's that FREE should be FREE (in my humble opinion) - Malwarebytes FORCING a Premium Trial is NOT good Business practise.

To date I have always recommended Malwarebytes to my colleagues (and have a PAID subscription myself) but if they insist on this now I will STOP such recommendations.

I assume you are not from Malwarebytes but just trying to help.. yes?

Will Malwarebytes give a formal answer to this? Why don't I get the screen YOU posted? :)

3 minutes ago, keithdxb said:

I assume you are not from Malwarebytes but just trying to help.. yes?

That is correct.

4 minutes ago, keithdxb said:

Why don't I get the screen YOU posted?

I ran the install on a computer in my shop without Malwarebytes installed. I used the stand alone installer.

If you wish to see it yourself, Download the installer and do the following.

Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2674

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install. Click no and close the tool.

Then run the stand alone installer and you will see the following.

MB install screen 1.png

MB install screen 2.png

MB install screen 3.png

MB install screen 4.png

MB install screen 5.png

@keithdxb  

Do do what Porthos has suggested.   Beyond that, if the Malwarebytes for Windows program is installed  and you only want on-demand usage of the program,

then, look at the following sections:

Click the settings icon, click the Account tab.   If you see a Deactivate Trial then click on that.

then also,  click the Security tab

scroll down to Windows Startup, on the line below, be sure it is clicked to the left.

then also, scroll down to Windows Security Center,  and on the line below, be sure it is clicked to the left.

Exit program when done,

Glad to know that you got the program all set as a free scanner.   Needless t say, that mode does not have any real-time protections and also does not auto-self update.

When you start a manual scan, the program will first do a check for updates.

Cheers.

It is not enough to just have a security program installed. Each pc user needs to practice daily safe computer and internet use.

Best  practices & malware prevention:
Follow best practices when browsing the Internet, especially on opening links coming from untrusted sources.
First rule of internet safety: slow down & think before you "click".
Never click links without first hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if it is going to an odd address ( one that does not fit or is odd looking or has typos).

Free games & free programs are like "candy". We do not accept them from "strangers".

Never open attachments that come with unexpected ( out of the blue ) email no matter how enticing.
Never open attachments from the email itself. Do not double click in the email. Always Save first and then scan with antivirus program.

Pay close attention when installing 3rd-party programs. It is important that you pay attention to the license agreements and installation screens when installing anything off of the Internet. If an installation screen offers you Custom or Advanced installation options, it is a good idea to select these as they will typically disclose what other 3rd party software will also be installed.
Take great care in every stage of the process and every offer screen, and make sure you know what it is you're agreeing to before you click "Next".

Use a Standard user account rather than an administrator-rights account when "surfing" the web.
See more info on Corrine's SecurityGarden Blog http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_7.html
Dont remove your current login. Just use the new Standard-user-level one for everyday use while on the internet.

Do a Windows Update.

Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

For other added tips, read "10 easy ways to prevent malware infection"

• Staff

Hi @keithdxb,

Thank you for sharing this feedback. We appreciate hearing your thoughts on the initial on-boarding experience for the product.

On 2/2/2020 at 10:59 AM, keithdxb said:

It's not a matter of "if it bothers you to enter yours" - it's that FREE should be FREE (in my humble opinion) - Malwarebytes FORCING a Premium Trial is NOT good Business practise.

To date I have always recommended Malwarebytes to my colleagues (and have a PAID subscription myself) but if they insist on this now I will STOP such recommendations.

Will Malwarebytes give a formal answer to this? Why don't I get the screen YOU posted?

We are continuously working with users to better understand and ultimately improve the experience. This may lead to different behaviour than what you or others have previously seen.

For steps on deactivating the Premium trial, please refer to the following KB article:
https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040972954-Deactivate-Premium-Trial-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

Not to argue, but I have used and recommended your software since 2009.  This is the first time I had to remove your product to upgrade it.  I understand that you need to upsell the fee based product, but forcing an uninstall to stay with the free version is a bit drastic.  

Not really complaining.  Yours is probably the only free program with the hassle.

6 minutes ago, FocusWiz said:

but forcing an uninstall to stay with the free version is a bit drastic.  

There is no need to uninstall to stay with the free version. Worst case you might have to only DEACTIVATE the trial.

The OP was posting about having to enter an email address during setup. I was demonstrating that the current installer gives you a choice not to have to enter an email to use the free version. I had to get the OP to fully uninstall and use the newer installer instead.

I got the exact same screens after your product interrupted a scan to offer an upgrade.  When I upgraded, it insisted on an email address and would have forced the premium version. 

Prior versions er other allowed me to directly instaall without an email or bypass the premium trial. 

To bypass the premium trial and omit putting in a fake email, I had to follow the uninstall/reboot/install process outlined in this thread. 

I just had to sign in here to support keithdxb. I have been installing Malwarebytes for years and this is the very first time I've had this issue. 

The newest download requires you to put in an address and Claim your free trial. There are NO other options unless you already have a license. I am installing it on a clean Windows 10 build. No matter what I do, I cannot move forward. The suggestions to run the Support Tool are useful, but not a permanent solution. 

It's either poor programming or Malwarebytes wants to force us to give them an email address. I downloaded the file from the Free Download link just before installing. 

Please fix this. 

4 hours ago, ShineCC said:

The newest download requires you to put in an address and Claim your free trial.

Next time you install on a clean machine try the installer I used.

I ran the install on a computer in my shop without Malwarebytes installed. I used the stand alone installer.

Edited by Porthos

• Staff

Thank you for the continued feedback.

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Next time you install on a clean machine try the installer I used.

Note that the install experience may slightly differ from user to user as we are continuously working to better understand the preferred experience and ultimately improve it. The behaviour mentioned in this topic is an example of one such experience.