duvkata

Malwarebytes prevents Visual Studio code integrated terminal from launching

Hi.

Since very recently Visual Studio Code started throwing this error whenever I try to launch the integrated terminal:

The terminal process command 'C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe' failed to launch (exit code: {2})

For those unfamiliar, it basically opens command prompt inside of VSCode under the current project directory. I have been using this feature without a problem for years.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit, and if I go to the system tray, right click on Malwarebytes and turn Ransomware protection off, it starts working again immediately, don't even need to restart VSCode.

I tried to check my detection history to see if there was some log available -> Open Malwarebytes -> Detection History -> History but nothing there related to the issue.

Also I just update to the latest version of Malwarebytes:

- Malwarebytes version: 4.0.4.49

- Update package version: 1.0.18540

- Component package version: 1.0.810

@AdvancedSetup thanks for your reply.

I just want to mention that before you replied to me I used this Support Tool to perform a clean reinstallation. Unfortunately after doing that and restarting the computer, I tried replicating the issue with VSCode and it still exists. I am getting the same error even after clean install.

---

That aside, I have run the tool and generated the logs zip archive. I am seeing that it contains some private information, so please let me know where I can send it to the support team privately (not on a public forum). There is an "Upload Logs" option available in the tool but it requires a ticket number and email.

Thanks.

Thank you for the report. We're aware of this issue and hope to have a fix in an upcoming release.

In the meantime, we've found that adding the VS Code installation directory as a folder exclusion in Malwarebytes mitigates the issue.
See here for details on how to add exclusions in the program.

Thanks for this!!! The excluding of the entire the VS Code installation directory worked for me.