MarkJohnson

Major virus: No permission and No internet.

Is there a way to run Malwarebytes on my cousins laptop that seems to not have internet access nor permissions to install files?  I even have internet wired in, to bypass wi-fi.  but I don't hink it's working.

I tried the guide on the main page, but I can't as I can't install mbam nor get internet.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hello @MarkJohnson

The logs indicate you might be having a hard driver or driver controller issue.

Error: (01/31/2020 11:22:05 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service) (EventID: 1542) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: Windows cannot load classes registry file.
 DETAIL - Unspecified error

Error: (01/31/2020 11:27:05 PM) (Source: iaStor) (EventID: 9) (User: )
Description: The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

If possible please try to uninstall McAfee antivirus and reboot and see if that helps any or not and let us know

Amazingly, I was able to uninstall McAfee with no changes that I can tell.

But I do get errors of not being able to write to my data directories.  I just launched Chrome, and it says, "Failed to create data directory"for chrome "user data"

Firefox says "Profile Missing" It says, it may be missing or inaccessible.

and a million other things, but boots up fine.

Please open your Device Manager and check on your hard disk and see who the manufacturer is. You can use a Google Search for the number and it will tell you the vendor name. Then visit their support page and download their tool to test the hard drive

Let me know the results or let me know if you need additional help in locating the correct tool to check the hard drive.

Thanks @MarkJohnson

I have a 128 GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD.  They have been bought up by Toshiba it seems, and they have an SSD Utility, but it needs installing and isn't a stand alone program., so it won't install. 

Not sure if there is an alternate file somewhere, or an older OCZ utility somewhere else.

Let me check around and see what I can find. I used OCZ when they first came out but they had a lot of issues. It was hit or miss on the drives. If they worked well then they usually ran a long time without any issues. But if you happen to get a buggy/flaky one then you were always having issues with them. I finally quit buying them at work long before they went out of business.

I switched over to the Samsung EVO and PRO series M2 and SSD drives for our needs

I'll post back again soon

OCZ is a trademark or registered trademark of KIOXIA Corporation and/or its affiliates.

What is the exact model number. It looks like even the legacy software doesn't go back that far.

This drive came out around 2011 which makes it about 9 years old.

I found a very old version from my own archives when I used the Vertex 3 drives. Please see if this utility can detect and test your drive and let me know.

OCZ Toolbox (Firmware Updater) OCZToolbox_v2.39.02.zip

Thanks

It is a 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 (VTX3-25SAT3-120G) FW 2.25

But now my system goes to the desktop with a black screen and mouse cursor.

I will try again in safe mode.

Weird, when I log in safe mode, I get a pop-up saying, "You'll need a new app to open this ms-get-started"   Whatever this message is?  Maybe a safe-mode message?

But is says "Safe Mode" in all four corners of the desktop as expected.

OK< I tried both FW updaters, but they need internet access or something and it won't work.

I think the drive is failing. Please try to disable most things from running on start up or close as much as you can and try to make it work in Normal Mode

I'm off to bed myself. Check back on you tomorrow but I really think you should be considering buying a new drive.

Unfortunately those are the only tools available at this time to check that drive. Again, I think you've reached end of life on the SSD and need to purchase a new drive. I'd recommend a clean, fresh install of Windows 10 and try to restore only data such as documents, pictures, etc. from the old drive.

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks