Element777

MB Premium not starting in Win 7

Hi,

The Malwarebytes Premium version I have is 4.0.4.49, from installation date of 14.12.2019

It stopped working; it wouldn’t start at all. I tried to download the MB support tool to try to delete it and reinstall new but the support tool won’t work either; it gives the error message that I need NET 4.0 Updates & that I should get them from Microsoft. However three times after I allowed Microsoft to install automatic updates, the laptop would not boot its win7 OS and I had to reinstall windows. So to keep the laptop usable, I switched off automatic updates. Now I am in a catch 22 – I can’t use the MB support tool to fix my MB program because I need the Microsoft updates; but if I do allow them in – I know that the laptop will not boot up…

This exact same scenario has happened before - but last time I could download the support tool and it did delete and it did a fresh reinstall. I have read that a download of the MB trrial version can fix this issue - so I tried that last night and it worked; it was all working fine last night and did a scan of the laptop and found no problems. However today, I am back in limbo once more as the program simply won't initiate...

I have tried going to ‘control panel’ - ‘change or remove programs’ & tried to manually delete MB but it won’t allow itself to be deleted… I tried doing the same in ‘safe mode’ but the same thing happened. Now I have a laptop which is vulnerable to threats but I can’t use the protection software I bought to protect it because it won’t switch on. I can’t even repair the MB because I don’t have specific updates – I can’t get those updates without risking compromising the running win 7 OS…

So what can I do?

Hello @Element777

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

Please download the following scanner from Kaspersky and save it to your computer: TDSSkiller

Then watch the following video on how to use the tool and make sure to temporarily disable your security applications before running TDSSkiller.

PC Winvids - How to run Kaspersky TDSSKiller

If any infection is found please make sure to choose SKIP and post back the log in case of a False Positive detection.

Once the tool has completed scanning make sure to re-enable your other security applications.

Thank you

Ok, I have downloaded it, and as per the video tutorial I selected Loaded Modules and let it reboot. On rebooting I then ran the program but it said it didn't find any threats; that said it only scanned 1407 objects.

I have attached the two Txt files it created.

Thank you

TDSSKiller.3.1.0.28_01.02.2020_15.25.38_log.txt TDSSKiller.3.1.0.28_01.02.2020_15.29.13_log.txt

Correct, it did not find anything

15:30:42.0163 0x0ddc  Detected object count: 0
15:30:42.0163 0x0ddc  Actual detected object count: 0

I'm off work until Monday - we can pick back up on Monday and see what else we can find that might be causing this issue.

Thank you

Okay, let's see if we can manually get Malwarebytes uninstalled. Currently you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free, is there a reason you're staying on Windows 7 which is no longer supported by Microsoft?

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks